17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Anyone else like this band?

As far as I can gather, they are a new band (2000 or so?). They have an old swing sound, big band style. I love their music, just 'discovered' them a few weeks ago. Great music, they all seem like great musicians.

I like every song on their self titled album, havn't heard their other album yet. But they have a very catchy sound.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

(@j4dyce)

I've heard the name, never the music. I believe my boss has this at work. Think I'll borrow it tonight for a listen. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

love the music.
it's Hot Hot Hot!

check out the Brian Setzer Orchestra, and my current fav The Prairie Cats.
http://www.prairiecats.com/home.html these guys can get you movin. hit the link for "Cat Tunes" for some mp3s
don't forget to reset yer media player equalizer to "Swing"

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

For those with HD tv and service...(I have HDNet) there are concerts on every day and that band is one of the featured acts.

I gotta say, as a thread hijacker, that HD TV rocks like nothing else. I've had it a year and wish everything was going that way. It's awesome.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

While the music is fun, it's honestly nothing special compared to some of the great swing bands.

Yeah, it's mixed really really loud so there's no dynamics in the songs (which for some odd reason people equate to sounding good, go figure) but the arrangements and musicians themselves don't compare.

Brian Setzer is a great guy, but I'd much rather listen to Charlie Christian jamming with Benny Goodman, or Freddie Green keeping rythm with Count Basie.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the songs, and I think I have their complete discography (with the excpetion of complillations), but sometimes I'd much prefere to have roast beef than a pb&j on white bread.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

"which for some odd reason people equate to sounding good, go figure"
some people?
:roll:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

"which for some odd reason people equate to sounding good, go figure"
some people?
:roll:

ok ok .. some people.

But really not enough to do anything about it. Mix magazine had a recent article about the "loudness wars" http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_big_squeeze/

(note -- not an attempt to hijack the thread, if we want to talk mixing we should probably start a new one in "In The Studio")

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

... on psychoacoustics or acoustic psychos?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Did they not have a hit back when the Cherry Poppin' Daddies were on MTV with "Zuit Suit Riot?" That was about the same time Squirrel Nut Zippers had a hit with "HELL."

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

... on psychoacoustics or acoustic psychos?

Yeah, I guess if you're paying for all the bits you should use them. Why have this:

when you can have this:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

This all started with FM radio processing. You familiar with Orban and Cutting Edge (now Telos) audio processing companies?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the link twisted, checked out a song, sound's cool!

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

It seems there is formula for creating names for swing bands:

Cherry Poppin' Daddies
Big Voodoo Daddies
Squirrel Nut Zippers

I got one -

Big Wankin' Snake Zonkers

:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Glad you liked it Taso.
a few years back when big band/swing, western swing was on the comeback i really got into it quite a bit.
it inspired me to learn some jazz progressions and has really paid off in the rhythm department.
(my strumming and chord changes)

I also like that band that played in the movie "The Mask". i think they were "The Royal Crown Revue"

My grandparents were big into dancing when i was a kid and they used to play all the big band 78s. i guess it kinda rubbed off on me a bit.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jester)
Trusted Member

They were the band featured in the movie _Swingers._ I've always liked them a lot; how they compare to the jump blues of the 1950s (or whenever) doesn't really bother me.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2