Big hands?

47 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
11.4 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, out of all of us members who reckon they've got big hands, who's got the biggest? I know it doesn't necessarily (definitely in my case!) mean best....but here's a pic of how far my hand can stretch, even after all the injuries it's suffered the last couple of years or so.

My little finger is touching the nut, my thumb is just covering the 9th fret marker - I used to be able to reach that fret, but not any more. Anyone beat that?

And who's got the smallest hands? Photos aren't strictly necessary - we'll take your word for it....as long as it's witnessed and signed by a reliable citizen.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I just get to the middle of the 8th fret :( I've never won at anything :lol:

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Vic!!!!
You're crackin' me up today bro :lol: :D

I read your spelling entry.
I don't have time at the moment for a reply - I'll get to it tho. :wink:

I can't believe you actually posted this - LOL

Well, I can't send you a pic - I guess you'll just have to take my word on it. (No good! I've known too many Irishmen!) :lol:

My finger spread is almost exactly one fret longer than yours (with my left hand).

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just get to the middle of the 8th fret :( I've never won at anything :lol:

We should have had weight classes - OK Taso, you're the top light-heavyweight.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Vic!!!!
You're crackin' me up today bro :lol: :D

I read your spelling entry.
I don't have time at the moment for a reply - I'll get to it tho. :wink:

I can't believe you actually posted this - LOL

Well, I can't send you a pic - I guess you'll just have to take my word on it. (No good! I've known too many Irishmen!) :lol:

My finger spread is almost exactly one fret longer than yours (with my left hand).

Ken

Wow - you're halfway between the 9th and 10th frets? That's some stretch! You'd have no trouble at all playing that ol' blues shuffle then.......!!!!!

I used to be able to touch the 9th, and maybe get a little past it if I straaaaaaaaaaaained......but note the bent little finger!

Anyway you're winning so far - anyone beat that? And even if you can't, let's see how far you CAN stretch.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Vic

You got two full fret on me I only reach the 7th fret marker.

And Noir What with the crack about Irishmen?

We only lie when our lips are moving :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Interestingly enough, I can't to the 8th with my right hand. Looks like guitar playing has stretched my left hand out?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Celt - :lol:
It was an attempt at self effacing humor regarding MY ethnicity in a take on a line from the movie/book
The Princess Bride.
The original line was regarding a Spaniard. :D
Sorry if you were temporarily offended.

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Interestingly enough, I can't to the 8th with my right hand. Looks like guitar playing has stretched my left hand out?

With my fretting hand, I get about a 1/4 into the 8th fret. With my non fretting hand I can easily get to the 8th fret marker.
It appears I'm asymmetrical. :shock:

Don

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Seven frets if I put the come-along on my thumb and pull! On a short scale neck! (Gibson!) I've got little hands. Yeah, those shuffles are a little challenging! Also, it doesn't help that I've broken all my fingers a couple times in my life.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

I reached 8 frets using my left (fretting) hand; pinkie at nut and thumb at 8th fret wire.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I broke my little finger 6 times in 7 years.....the worst instance was when I tried to catch the Mrs in the middle of an epileptic seizure, and her, umm, well-rounded posterior parts caught said little finger right underneath. SNAPPPPP! So the day after I get the train to Warrington - from the station, it's 5 minutes walk to the hospital. Hand my name in at the desk.....it was a quiet afternoon, I was two minutes waiting for treatment. "Victoria Lewis to room 3" - great, I came in with a broken finger, now I'm having a sex-change.....

The Mrs and my best mate still take the mickey.......

Vic

(But you can call me Victoria....)

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

VIC - You are absolutely killing me today!!!! :D

If you were refering to (by blues shuffle) that old Robert Johnson / later updated and moded by Chuck Berry thing,
Yeah, no problems here. :D

I can't open my right hand quite as much as my left - in a spread,
as I punched the drivers window outta my Toyo 4x4 at a party when someone got in and locked the doors while the keys
were in it. :evil:
The glass shredded the web between my pinky and ring finger causing a limiting scar.
And the glass above my hand came down like a guillotine on my wrist, slicing that all to pieces as well.
Wonder what they woulda done to me at the hospital in Warrington ???? :shock:

Anyway - the spread is about 1/2" less w/my right.
And this is on a strat neck.

Ken

-Ernest Hemingway

-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I was two minutes waiting for treatment. "Victoria Lewis to room 3" - great, I came in with a broken finger, now I'm having a sex-change.....

I seem to be a little bit short of your hand span Vic. If I really stretch I can just touch the edge of the dot on the ninth fret, but it's a bit of a strain. Copying your picture in a more relaxed way, I fall short a quarter of an inch or so.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I almost reached the ninth fret, but I have Cubital Tunnel & Carpal Tunnel Blaa Blaa.

Does that count for an extra fret? lol

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4