Notifications
Clear all

Big Time Arrogance

25 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

How about asking your jam buddy to come down and do a couple songs together. You won't feel as pressured if there is someone else with you.

Yep... the only way I would do it is to play with another guy or two, playing rhythm or bass and just doing some back up vocals.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Perhaps his lyrics were part of an autobiography?

He did seem to have a keen insight . . . .
into the characteristics of being shallow . . .

not that I would know anything about that. :mrgreen:

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

If it doesn't kill you it'll make you stronger eh!

You just have to let it go and not worry about it and this is coming from a pretty self concious person, but there are all kinds of people in this world and they all ain't gonna say nice things, but it's only words and they can't hurt you. You just have to ignore them and do your own thing. The only person that gets hurt stressing over this is you so don't put that pressure on yourself.

Ric had a great first time experience at an open mic and most that I have been to were cordial if not super encouraging alot depends on the venue the people involved etc. But just like when the kids are in the QC and shredding the open mics are a chance for some of them to show off.

Roy since you are commited to checking this out I'd go down there and see how it goes. Is the music inline with what you are playing? I know if I go with the guys to play an open mic we play loud rock n roll so that limits us to where we can play. There are several kind of acoustic singer/songwriter/cover type open mics around but they'd never let us play the music we play so we don't even bother with those.

Now that you have a jam partner, work on one or two songs and then go out there if that's what you want.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I keep thinking back to Ricochet's commentary of his experience. You'd think that this open-min would be similar. It's not a public bar or anything. It's a guitar shop.

Just from looking at the vids, I'd say the music is in line with what I'm playing mostly. Mostly accoustic Light Rock or Country covers, both old and new, and a few originals scattered along in there as well. Mostly accoustic and mostly one-man show. Sometimes more, though, and I did see one complete band setup. Anyhow, yes, a lot of the songs I play can be done in accoustic fashion easily enough.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Ponder this, Roy . . .

The song wasn't the real humor of the video, and the guys that posted it knew that, but couldn't directly say it.

Overly convoluted lyrics . . . check.
"Lame" (personally I don't think there's such an animal - but it fit HIS description of lame to a T) chord progression . . . check
Snarky attitude towards other performers . . . check
Unconscious of his total lack of stage presence . . . check
Demonstrates no knowledge of mic technique . . . check (gotta sing INTO the mic, don't turn away from it for ANY reason)

He gives a spot on demo of the personality of a classic "open mike diva," a type you'll encounter quite often. As a result, I found it howlingly funny - not for bashing new players, but for giving such a spectacular example of the dangers of thinking you're better than you really are.

If the performer intended this, he gets kudos from me for a brilliant and subtle satirical piece.
If he really intended the SONG to be funny, then it's a hilarious capture of utter asininity.

The only way to really tell is to watch him perform a "serious" song

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@samer)
Eminent Member

Meh, i wouldn't take it seriously, the guy is 50 years past prime, his singing has an annoying timbre to it; and can barley play guitar him self.

It would be different if a talented musician made the same statements.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I followed the link and listened to it . It's interesting to me that the music in the chorus where he sings "I'm shallow ..." is actually from an old song that my mother taught me as a young boy ; "Oh playmate , come out and play with me ." Someone so pompous should be able to make up his own tune .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My wife listened for a bit and turned it off before he even got started. She didn't like that arrogant attitude he was projecting. Oh well.

After some thinking, I still want to support the local guy - the owneer of this business - as the "support the local guy" rule trumps the "don't go anywhere that promotes jerks" rule. Tough call and took a couple of days.

This is the place where I got my mic yesterday. One man show at the time, and I think we walked in on a lesson. He appeared shortly after we went in. He's made a couple of comfort changes to the stage and seating area, and says that the "coffee shop" is open every morning without fail. Too far away for us. However, it did look a little better there with his minor capital changes and would have been happy for him had I not seen the tell-tail signs of cash flow problems. Inventory.

He had very little invenory in the form of guitars. I didn't spend too much time looking and committing things to memory, but his guitar inventory was more remnants of an inventory than anything. Cheap little beginner Accoustics and a few used things. He never had a big stock of them to begin with, but he had something. And his offering me a brand new $250 mic in place of the $100 mic I went in there for.....now I don't know profit margins on mics, but I do know profit margins on big name market leaders in retail in general. He threw away some money. Sure, trying to get and keep a customer kind of thing, but there are common sense limits. I hope I am wrong. I've always blew the horn, touting the benefits of the small time owner. I'd hate to see another one bite the dust.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'd tell them how what they did strikes you. I'd let them know that you though they were there to help and encourage their customers and you feel slighted and insulted by them. I'd let them know that you are seriously considering never being their customer again because of what you feel is a real slight to less than professional musicians. Keep it civil and with a tone of concern, but make clear you think they made a big mistake.

Regardless of if you ever buy from them again, you might do some good and help them re-evaluate how they approach their customers, which could only result in some small amount of good for your local music scene. It wouldn't take you but a minute, and it might well result in a positive outcome.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I did that and the answer I got was "Sorry you don't understand the humor"

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2