Bluegrass suggestions.

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@arfinwulf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey board,

Since my guitar journey began I've been, of course, listening to more guitar based music and have increased my CD collection (classic guitar rock a la John Fogerty and John Mellancamp, folk a la Iron & Wine, and God help me...country a la John Denver). I've never thought on the subject of Bluegrass other than to wonder in passing what the heck it is. Can someone explain the genre and suggest some artists to start at?

Namaste.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Start out with Bill Monroe - he really started the genre. In fact, it's named after his band, Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys. For bluegrass guitar, try Lester Flatt - he started out playing with Monroe, then left with the banjo player (Earl Scruggs) to form Flatt & Scruggs & the Foggy Mountain Boys. You've probably heard them, even if you haven't heard OF them... they did the theme for "The Beverly Hillbillies"

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you cannot go wrong with Bill Monroe. look for a greatest hits remaster.
I ran into a great album in the 70's.
'Old and in the Way' I think is the title. it had deadhead Garcia on it, maybe Dave Grisman and a few other old timers.
really good picking and songs.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
(@arfinwulf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys--wow, can those guys play. And I thought Laurance Juber was an awsome guitarist! Doc Watson was impressive and I'd love to play like any of those guys, as would we all (minus the hair in the Tony Rice piece, of course).

Namaste.

ReplyQuote