Boss ME-50 - any opinions?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@classico)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hello everyone :D
i've been looking for awhile for a multi effect to go with my les-paul deluxe that will have a decent array of effects and a decent sound and will not cost me all my money.
i think the boss me-50 is a cool option for my budget (which is approx. 400$ ) but i'm not sure... here's a link to the me-50 page:

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/PRODUCTS/EN/ME-50/

what do you guys think? is it a good option? do you know of any other multi effects which you think are better in that budget range? does anyone have one of these? how's it like?

lot's of questions i know :P you don't have to answer all of them (or any of them) but you ARE welcome to do so...

thanks in advance :D
classico

(@97reb)
Noble Member

I've had one for several years and like it. The key is that this does effects. If you are happy with your amp sound, then this might be good for you. If you don't like your amp sound, then get a multi-effects with an amp modeler. I've set up my amp sound then added the Boss ME-50. Like I said, I've had it awhile and still not even used it to it's fullest potential. If you buy it, make sure and get the 9volt adapter with it (I think it is the PSA-120). I got mine as an open box/ or blem for about $230, look for those kind of deals and it will make it even sweeter.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Yep, 97rep said it right: if you like your amp and just want pedal effects in a convenient package, this is probably the best option. If you want amp modeling, look elsewhere.

There's also the new ME-20, a stripped down, less expensive version. I got one on sale a few months ago and really like it. Very simple to use, though not as functional as the 50.

The only thing I don't like about either is the noise gate function. It seems to go from having almost no effect to being a sustain killer with very small twists of the knob. The noise gate on the Digitech GNX3000 I recently sold was far superior; too bad Digitech doesn't make a stand-alone version. Aside from that, the ME20 and 50 are great.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

By the way, I don't just use the ME-50, I also have 2 eq's , 2 distortions, a wah, and an A/B/Y pedal in my chain all hooked up to four amps. A little complex, but fun and it provides a nice wall of sound.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote