Notifications
Clear all

Buddy Guy, the greatest?

35 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I've been lucky enough to see him twice this year and he never fails to leave me amazed

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

You can see that the emotion is just pouring out of him when he sings and plays... One of my favorite blues guys... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Great blues man - I believe he was also the first to pick the guitar with his teeth and play behind his head. I saw him perform this year. He moves almost like a little kid while singing on stage (and I guess was dressed like one too in over-sized over-alls.) It was a very good show and he harassed some people in the audience to sing with him which is always fun (as long as it isn't you). It also helps when one of those people he is harassing is Lou Rawls.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@womanfromtokyo)

Hey guys thanks to this thread Iv'e discovered Buddy Guy. "Brilliant stuff".

after listening on his website I went out to HMV and bought,

Feels Like Rain
Buddy,s Baddest.
Damn Right I've Got The Blues.

They are so cheap, all three only cost me £15 what a bargain.

Favourite song at the moment is "Five Long Years" boy can this man play

Thank you very much for converting me.

I love rock & roll so put another dime in the juke-box baby !

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

In the 70s Buddy and harpist Junior Wells owned a club in a rather decrepit neighborhood on the S side of Chicago. Every Monday they had 'blue Monday' - an open stage jam.

The bar itself was a bit of a dive. Broken up linoleum tile flooring, pretty tiny stage area to the left of the door - right below the cinderblock glass window - seating looked like picnic tables snatched from the forest preserves. Order a beer, the bartender would hand you a can of Schlitz. You'd have to open it yourself.

But there I'd go every Monday night I could. The crowd was usually old bluesmen, who alternated between being really helpful to the young white kid with the guitar and pulling my leg about anything and everything. They taught me about blue notes, about substituting in progressions, about feeling the changes. Every once in a while somebody famous would drop by - I wasn't there the night the Stones showed up, or the night Clapton came by, but I did get to jam with the horn section from Tower of Power one night, and had a memorable conversation with another white blues guitarist once at the bar... turned out he was Mike Bloomfield.

Looking back, the most nervous I've ever been performing was when Buddy was in the bar. He seemed to dig everything, though, good or bad. He's a gentleman as well as a fine musician, and he's truly one of our national treasures.

He owns another club in Chicago now (Legends), but somehow it's not the same :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Great story Noteboat.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

and what about BUDDY HOLLY :?: :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

and what about BUDDY HOLLY :?: :twisted:

Not, really in the same league John.

No dis-respect intended !

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@texifornian)

a must have CD is Buddy and Junior Wells . Hoodoo Man Blues.

quote]

I read somewhere Clapton said he was inspired to form The Cream by this album. Is there a better Chicago blues album?

I've got blisters on my fingers

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

In the 70s Buddy and harpist Junior Wells owned a club in a rather decrepit neighborhood on the S side of Chicago. Every Monday they had 'blue Monday' - an open stage jam.

The bar itself was a bit of a dive. Broken up linoleum tile flooring, pretty tiny stage area to the left of the door - right below the cinderblock glass window - seating looked like picnic tables snatched from the forest preserves. Order a beer, the bartender would hand you a can of Schlitz. You'd have to open it yourself.

But there I'd go every Monday night I could. The crowd was usually old bluesmen, who alternated between being really helpful to the young white kid with the guitar and pulling my leg about anything and everything. They taught me about blue notes, about substituting in progressions, about feeling the changes. Every once in a while somebody famous would drop by - I wasn't there the night the Stones showed up, or the night Clapton came by, but I did get to jam with the horn section from Tower of Power one night, and had a memorable conversation with another white blues guitarist once at the bar... turned out he was Mike Bloomfield.

Looking back, the most nervous I've ever been performing was when Buddy was in the bar. He seemed to dig everything, though, good or bad. He's a gentleman as well as a fine musician, and he's truly one of our national treasures.

He owns another club in Chicago now (Legends), but somehow it's not the same :)

Now that folks is what I call shock and awe. At least for me. Man, Buddy, the horn section from ToP and Mike Bloomfield.....We need a green with envy emoticon. :wink: :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Hey guys thanks to this thread Iv'e discovered Buddy Guy. "Brilliant stuff".

after listening on his website I went out to HMV and bought,

Feels Like Rain
Buddy,s Baddest.
darn Right I've Got The Blues.

They are so cheap, all three only cost me £15 what a bargain.

Favourite song at the moment is "Five Long Years" boy can this man play

Thank you very much for converting me.

FIrst time I heard 5 Long Years it went right to the top of my must learn list. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Now that folks is what I call shock and awe. At least for me. Man, Buddy, the horn section from ToP and Mike Bloomfield.....We need a green with envy emoticon

Yeah, I was green too - from inexperience. I was probably 19 or 20 - the drinking age in IL then was 19 for beer & wine so I could get into those clubs. Sure wish I'd been more accomplished then so I could have taken better advantage of the opportunities.

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Fantastic story, NoteBoat! About two years ago on the BET Jazz channel they showed a thing on the Chicago blues scene that looks like it was filmed in the 60s or 70s, and they showed a bunch of footage of Buddy and Junior playing in a bar pretty much exactly like you described. They haven't shown that program since as far as I know, but it was cool to see Buddy in that atmosphere.

Not to take this too far away from the topic, but do you remember any of your conversation with Bloomfield? Did you even know it was him at the time? What was he like? He's become one of my absolute favorites, but there's not that much info about him out there.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I didn't realize how great a player he was at the time. I do remember the conversation - he was pretty stoned. He was just sitting at the bar listening, and I was playing with some other folks. I sat down next to him, ordered a beer, and we talked about music. He told me we'd get together and jam when he got back from Europe - that never happened... it was the only time I ever saw hiim, and he was dead in a year or so after that.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

what band/group did mike bloomfield paly for? I've heard of him, but not what he did

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3