Clear all

Buying a laptop

40 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm in the market for a laptop, or a laptop is in the market for me. Either one.

I have about $900 American to spend, and don't know anything about computers. But I do know the first person that tells me to save up a couple hundred more gets ignored.

I'm looking at the Dell Inspiron E1405 @ $849 (after $195 off). It's got 1GB shared dual channel DDR2 memory (sounds futuristic), 120GB hard drive, can burn DVDs/CDs (free stuff), and it's got a year's LIMITED WARRANTY! Woah!

The only reason I'm looking at that particular laptop is because there was a Dell product magazine in the bathroom (it's been flagged). There is probably better out there.

Ideally, I'd be using this to write papers for me book learning and schooling, business-related adventures (I'll end up buying the business version of Microsoft Office), the occasional message board posting, and perhaps a little music recording.

I don't plan on running any games on it, except maybe StarCraft. Or Zoo Tycoon (maybe Zoo Tycoon 2 if I'm feeling adventurous). I love being a Zoo Keeper.

Anyway -- any thoughts, any recommendations? Keep in mind the price range.

Thanks.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

(@dazed_and_confused)
Eminent Member

One note: if you plan on upgrading parts of the computer (Ram, video card, sound card, etc) later in the computer's life, a Dell is not a good brand of computer to help with that. They make very specialized parts ( or used to) so i would be wary in buying a Dell, not that they are not good computers, you just have to watch out.

American by birth, Texan by GRACE OF GOD

There are two kinds of people in this world... THose who live in Texas and those who wish they lived in Texas.

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Most Laptops are NOT made to be upgraded (except for a RAM chip).... so i wouldn't worry about this (The Video card/soundcard/network card etc are usually all built in to the main board to keep the laptop small.

Just get the best you can afford right now.

Check out http://laptopmag.com/Tools/Guide/Notebooks/index.htm for some ideas of what you might need (features and performance wise)

Also, to save money on buying Micro$oft Office and giving Bill Gates even more money for his overpriced, dodgy products, download Open Office. It's Open source (ie. FREE) and is totally compatible with Office documents.
http://www.openoffice.org

Then again, you could save a couple of hundred more and..... :)

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

I have to vote against Open Office. My wife had it on her laptop because her CD drive broke and we couldn't install Office on her laptop and it STUNK (for us anyway.) Almost more trouble than it was worth. Just my .02, your mileage may vary, etc.

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd give a vote for OpenOffice - it can do anything M$ SW can do and much of it better than M$.

I've installed OO on 4 or 5 different laptops and never had a problem.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Not sure if you are sold on Dell or what but I've been an IT systems administrator at my current company for 7 years.

We've tried all the major brands of laptops for our remote staffers and have found Toshiba to be the best of class in most price points.

Another new player in the market it Lenovo. They were IBM so they have quality behind them without the IBM price tag.

As for Dells.... there is a lot of debate on them. My experience has been, unless you opt for workstation class Dell PC's, you are not getting their best efforts.

Good luck with your search. Oh and I highly recommend you steer clear of CELERON Processors. Dog slow and price point laptops, those.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I'm with Bish. Similar experience in my working life.

I prefer the Toshiba's as well for the same reasons.

I'd recommend that you 'line' them up and find the 'best bang for the buck'

Pit HDD Capacity and Processor Speed and RAM size, screen size etc...

Hope you find and get what you want.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Toshiba's business line is great, talk about stability and quality components, but I've found their consumer model is about in line with the rest.

for the Dell, go to this site

and check out their coupon codes.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Toshiba's business line is great, talk about stability and quality components, but I've found their consumer model is about in line with the rest.
I'm reading this thread with interest as sometime in the not-too-distant future I'd like to get a laptop for our daughter as she prepares to go off to college.

My questions are in regard to the differences between Toshiba's business and consumer lines of laptops.

Are the differences mainly in price (and is it correct to assume the business line is more than consumer)?

Or are they geared for significantly different applications?

And which would be better to serve as the sole computer for a college student?

I ask these questions without having done much research yet, so general answers or guidelines are appreciated.

Thanks!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I vote for Toshiba as well. I'm very happy with my Macs (PowerBook G4 and the new Intel MacBook).

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I don't know if this is still so, but toshiba's business line was more expensive and what that bought you was a machine that had the same parts, by the same manufacturer every time for a specific period of time.

This is a beautiful thing when you are imaging laptops or repairing them.

they are both capable of executing the same programs/OS

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Yup.. what Nick said.

Same Components in a batch of say 20 laptops. Very nice when using an image to load the system(s).

Marg... I'd look at a Dell for her. I currently have one that my company issued to me. Its very road worthy and I haven't had any problems with it so far. Wireless connects/VPN/DVD/CD Burns/its a DUO Core Intel. So far I have no complaints with it.

Also on a personal note. I'm on a BOYCOTT kick with the BIG BOX electronics folks. (C.City, BBuy etc...) They treat their people like crap then lay 'em all off. I buy most my personal techy bits from NewEgg ( http://www.newegg.com ) They're like "Musicians Friend" for 'puter geeks. LOL

Cheers,
D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Not sure if you are sold on Dell or what but I've been an IT systems administrator at my current company for 7 years.

We've tried all the major brands of laptops for our remote staffers and have found Toshiba to be the best of class in most price points.

Hi Bish and Nick,

I've had just the opposite experience with Toshiba. My son has a disability that requires him to use a laptop in school. We had an HP that was great, but the Toshiba was in repair almost as much as it was with my son in school. And customer service was a circus -- in fact, I'd say they were entirely incompetent in handling our situation.

I'm sure you've had great experiences with Toshiba, but I did want to let everyone know that when we dealt with them, they'd gone over to the dark side!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Hi Bish and Nick,

I've had just the opposite experience with Toshiba. My son has a disability that requires him to use a laptop in school. We had an HP that was great, but the Toshiba was in repair almost as much as it was with my son in school. And customer service was a circus -- in fact, I'd say they were entirely incompetent in handling our situation.

I'm sure you've had great experiences with Toshiba, but I did want to let everyone know that when we dealt with them, they'd gone over to the dark side!

Not to sugar coat any brand cuz they've all given us a fit at one time or another but I had one that blew everyone away. This particular Toshiba was unreliable from day one. Even after several rebuilds and finally giving up I sent it to a Toshiba repair station near us. (With in driving distance.) No luck. After several tries I contacted Toshiba and it had gone to them twice since the initial contact. No luck and they wouldn't replace it. Keep in mind this went on over the course of a year and a half.

After much frustration and me looking at its miserable hide just sitting there grinning with the attitude that it had beaten the best of us, I did what any red blooded super sluether and decided to start from scratch. I took out all the memory that had come with it and the stuff that we installed.

Started with a Ram simm I knew worked and rebuilt from a fresh set of disks. It rebuilt stable as could be. What it turned out to be was the original RAM chip that it was delivered with. :x After that defective chip was converted to an ornamental keychain, the laptop has been faithful since.

We have also had a Dell since 2000 that has Windows 2000 installed and the user won't let me have it to upgrade. I'm really good with that though. It's not broke, I'm not fixing it.

So, yes, Muse, every brand has it's good and baddies. None are perfect and none are junk, it's a nice buyers market, and I say buy what you can afford, what is appealing, and to heck with tomorrow cuz you're stuck with its current level of technology. So enjoy what you pick. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I have too many laptops and too many problems. There is no right answer to "the best." Every manufacturer has produced models that have problems. I loved Toshiba until the A75 I bought my daughter went south bigtime right after the warranty expired. That particular line ended up in a class action suit. I have a great Sony VAIO S series that I still love and use -- yet Sony doesn't get high reliability marks. Collegues have bought various Sony's with generally good results ... then a motherboard spontaneously fries. We ALL bought the extended warranties for our Sonys ... just in case. IBM both pre- and post- Lenovo --- not bad, but mine has had a LOT of repairs (old 600E biz workhorse). Best thing about it was exactly what Nick said. These days, it's flakey again and I will not fix it. Thank higher powers that TI got out of the biz -- absolute crap and will never be rebooted. Dell -- had a few of those, and still use one for biz (on it now). Biggest advantage: If I drop it, I don't care. Latitude (biz line) is unlovable. Bought my wife a Dell 1505 Duo-Core Inspiron a year + ago along with a 3-year extended warranty. It's good when not suffering some weird @ss boot issue when the battery dies. In that case -- no lie -- it needs to be restored. True story. Several times. Dell does not know why. Finally told my wife to stop running the battery flat, because there is no resolution. Extended warranty is worth the hundreds of $$. I replaced my daughter's Toshiba with a Gateway 64-bit AMD processor model. It seem pretty good, especially for the price. But for AIM, AOL, Word, Powerpoint and the Sims, what does one need anyway, right? HP: don't own one, but know start-up companies on budgets that bought them: Lots of computer for the $$$ -- but notorious for needing repairs. Same for Compaq. But of course that's HP these days. You knew that.

Summary of MNSHO:

Sony VAIO: Really like 'em, but out of your budget and a bit feature lean. Great displays. Another plus is they do NOT use Sony cells in the VAIO batteries (remember the recalls -- Sony batteries)

Lenovo (nee IBM): Durable workhorse, but too much $$. Those who have 'em, love 'em.

Toshiba: Might be worth another look these days, as they are probably more cautious about testing and outsourcing after the A70/75 debacle

HP/Compaq: Tempting for the bang/$, but questionable reliability

Gateway: Good value, especially for AMD processors. Check the reviews for reliability info

Panasonic: Toughbook gets great reviews, but underpowered and pricey

Dell: Unless you are a self-admitted computer-moron who will need a lot of phone support, pass. If you buy, get the extended warranty => $$$$$

Apple: Great service. Solid machines. If you can deal with non-Windows SW, I'd have a serious look.

Good luck

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3