Notifications
Clear all

Buying a laptop

40 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

One important thing about laptops, don't operate them on top of cushions, thick rugs or on the blanket on your bed. It blocks the vents and causes them to overheat.

Next time you see my wife, Nick, make it a point to advise her of this. Apparently, she thinks I'm kidding.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Thanks Nick,

I've tried that, it didn't work. I think I've got it down to bad caps on the motherboard. I removed all the peripherals, (HD, memory, cd rom, wireless card, modem.....) and tested the battery and power supply. Everything works in a different machine. All the usual suspects have been cleared. I've found more than a couple sites that describe this particular problem. Either I'm going to try a cap job or look for a new board. BUT, keep the ideas coming though!

You need to change your name from "Administrator" to "Uber Geek"! :lol:

This laptop is another one of my "Learning Experiences", if it doesn't work, oh well...., nothing lost but time.

The power light lights up, the three indicator lights beside it flash rapidly and it shuts off with out attempting to boot.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

Another new player in the market it Lenovo. They were IBM so they have quality behind them without the IBM price tag.

My company has just switched all of our Dell laptop "fleet" to Lenovo ThinkPads. They are a couple hundred more, but well worth it.

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I've always had a Thinkpad..company issue and I have never had a problem with any of them.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

One important thing about laptops, don't operate them on top of cushions, thick rugs or on the blanket on your bed. It blocks the vents and causes them to overheat.

Next time you see my wife, Nick, make it a point to advise her of this. Apparently, she thinks I'm kidding.
Send her this article. I kid you not. Dan from the article is my cousin's husband, and that's exactly what happened. "I had left the laptop in sleep mode with the lid closed on the edge of the sofa in the living room." 20 minutes later... poof... (Since there are always doubters about htis sort of thing... I will freely admit that I wasn't there, I don't know anything except what I've heard from my family and the article. Maybe the fire marshall doesn't know what he's talking about. But last I'd heard they were pointing at the laptop.)

TZ

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Thanks Nick,

I've tried that, it didn't work. I think I've got it down to bad caps on the motherboard. I removed all the peripherals, (HD, memory, cd rom, wireless card, modem.....) and tested the battery and power supply. Everything works in a different machine. All the usual suspects have been cleared. I've found more than a couple sites that describe this particular problem. Either I'm going to try a cap job or look for a new board. BUT, keep the ideas coming though!

You need to change your name from "Administrator" to "Uber Geek"! :lol:

This laptop is another one of my "Learning Experiences", if it doesn't work, oh well...., nothing lost but time.

The power light lights up, the three indicator lights beside it flash rapidly and it shuts off with out attempting to boot.

Is that the same device you tried to grind up the hard drive and smoke it a few months back? :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

No, That was another DELL product, an Optiflex 400 desktop. That one is running good, I just can't afford more memory for it, but, apparently, it doesn't need it. It just runs fine the way it is. I guess that the type of memory in it is pretty fast. I've decided that I'll live with it the way it is!

Sometimes, newer is not better! :D

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

McIntosh all the way. It has Garage Band.

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

Send her this article. I kid you not. Dan from the article is my cousin's husband, and that's exactly what happened. "I had left the laptop in sleep mode with the lid closed on the edge of the sofa in the living room." 20 minutes later... poof... (Since there are always doubters about htis sort of thing... I will freely admit that I wasn't there, I don't know anything except what I've heard from my family and the article. Maybe the fire marshall doesn't know what he's talking about. But last I'd heard they were pointing at the laptop.)

TZ

mmmm....I've made that very same discovery...TODAY.....my Dell has just fried the hard drive....now i've lost tons of stuff i failed to back up......hard surfaces only!!!!!! :oops: :twisted: 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Why not try something from Apple? I love my Macbook pro with a passion. The OS for Macs is IMO much easier to use than Windows and I have had less hardware related problems with my Mac laptops than my Dell laptops or PCs. And, I have had no Virus or spy ware issues at all.

Thats not to say that Macs are perfect. They are going to be about 20% more pricey than other laps (but thats money well spent IMO). And, if you plan on playing computer games on your lap then a Mac probably isn't for you. The whole one button mouse thing takes some getting used to as well if you have been using Windows all along.

Check out a normal Macbook and see if you like it. Macs are not for everybody. There are some things (e.g. customization, software applications, games ect.) that Macs just cant do.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3