Notifications
Clear all

Buying a new guitar

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@shizuku)
Topic starter  

I looked around and didnt see anywhere else for Q&A about buying a guitar so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section.

I am in the market for a new guitar, I have been using a rather rubbish Squier Strat that has issues with the bridge and the Low E refuses to be tuned. Of course I could get it all nicely set-up but for what I paid for it (£120 including amp brand new!!!) i can hardly justify the £40 + new strings.

So i am trying to decide which guitar to buy. I have a £500-ish budget and have fallen for both the:

PRS Tremonti SE(discontinued for £490 unless I want to buy the original for £1300)
and
ESP KH-602which is the Hammett original with dynamic pick-up for £1000+ but I'd have to opt for the £500 dumbed down version the KH-202 nothing dynamic about it.

I know the KH-202 and 602 have the Floyd Rose Bridge and I never have restrung a guitar with it, I heard it's a pain. But that would be the only reason for me to not like it as much as the Tremonti.

So a few questions:
- Anybody here with a PRS? how do you like them?
- Anybody with ESPs?
- Any advice on either or both?
- Reasons why I should opt for neither?
- If you think there is something better out there for the money, which is it and why?
- Any holes in my logic?

I am not rich so I want a GOOD guitar for my budget that I can use and cherish. I am a Metal fan and although I am not at Thrashing levels yet, I will get there ;)

thank you all.

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

There are at least a couple or more members here with PRS SE's, though they aren't HERE at the moment - haven't seen 'em today or recently. But okay, I hope they'll identify themselves and their guitars, and will say that they love them! :lol:

Because I think that they do. And as for me, I also have two. I think that PRS are just fantastic or awesome, and hold them high as a benchmark, or as a bar to jump over, way up! I can't find a flaw or can't say anything bad about them.

Schecter is also a very, very good guitar that you could look into for Metal, quality, comfort & sound, looks & reliability.

ESP also makes good guitars, but with a Floyd Rose, I'm not a fan, and would rather not be bothered. And Ibanez rocks, however so many of them have Floyd's - and it is something you have to pay more for? Well, it is my opinion that the Floyd Roses are rather troublesome and complicated, or there would be a bunch of Peavey Wolfgang's and OLP's that I might recommend too, which I have tried. They are nice guitars, but I have to say I'm a big fan and supporter of PRS.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@shizuku)
Topic starter  

And as for me, I also have two. I think that PRS are just fantastic or awesome, and hold them high as a benchmark, or as a bar to jump over, way up! I can't find a flaw or can't say anything bad about them.

I have to say I'm a big fan and supporter of PRS.

Blue Jay I hope you don't mind I edited the quote. So you like PRSs brilliant! It's great to hear there's a few other people as well that have PRS and PRS SE guitar.

Yes your argument against the Floys Rose is valid. I would rather not have to find myself in a position where I needed to restring ASAP and end up being delayed because it's a FR!! Guess I'llhave to wait for the ESP until I have stocked up on enough guitars to justify a whim :D

Hope to hear from other members too as right now I am edging ever closer to buying a PRS 8)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

So i am trying to decide which guitar to buy. I have a £500-ish budget

I am not rich so I want a GOOD guitar for my budget that I can use and cherish. I am a Metal fan and although I am not at Thrashing levels yet, I will get there ;)

thank you all.

I'd recommend taking a look at Schecter's Omen, Damien, and C-1 model lines. They've got a lot of value for the cost, and they're very nice looking and feeling guitars too.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@shizuku)
Topic starter  

So i am trying to decide which guitar to buy. I have a £500-ish budget

thank you all.

I'd recommend taking a look at Schecter's Omen, Damien, and C-1 model lines. They've got a lot of value for the cost, and they're very nice looking and feeling guitars too.

Thank you for writing. I took a look at the Schecters online, there are no shops here that sell them so I couldnt try one myself :cry: but they sounded like good guitars. Maybe in the future I will have the opportunity to play one!

I have finally taken the plunge and I have put a deposit down for a PRS Tremonti SE (the cheaper discontinued version). should have it in my hands within max 2 weeks! CAN HARDLY WAIT!!!

thank you all for your input.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

That PRS will be great. Congratulations! Good choice, probably the best guitar - you liked it; and the best deal too. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm one of the guilty SE owners. The Paul Allender model. It's got a Fender Strat style trem, not a Floyd Rose. Works as advertised. Stays in tune well. I think the Tremonti has the same bridge as mine. Hard to see. Here's mine: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/SEPA--Main

Anyhow, I've also played different SE single cuts with a fixed bridges at the local guitar store. Liked every one I've tried.

Congrats on yours (only a couple of weeks or so left). Post some pics when you get her. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@shizuku)
Topic starter  

What a sweeeeeet guitar you have! I have just received mine yesterday, it sounds like heaven compared to the one I have been learning on. What a massive difference!!!

Thank you all for your suggestions, opinions and help! I am the proud owner of a PRS Tremonti. I will post pictures as soon as I get a chance :)

ReplyQuote
(@samer)
Eminent Member

Id pick the ESP ver the PRS

The PRS SE is going to have a huge heal; making it very hard to get past the 17th fret

The ESP has an original Floyd Rose right? If so, and its a good deal go for it, or find something similar, maybe a schecter blackjack ATx (orginial floyd rose + blackouts + ebony fretboard + mahogany body) cant go wrong there.

ReplyQuote