Notifications
Clear all

Buying a used acoustic

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hws21c)
Topic starter  

I'm a drummer, but since i'm moving into a university residence, I decided to try acoustic which would be a suitable choice of instrument for residence.
(its a tiny room and even electric drum set wouldn't fit in it... even though I'd never play an electric drum)
I'm looking to spend about 200~250... I live in Canada by the way, I think that might narrow down the selection but I'm not worried about the exchange rate since it's been really good for people above the border.
I'm looking for a guitar that I can use as a beginner and wouldn't annoy me when I can play at about intermediate level
(annoy me as in, if I was still using a cheap guitar even after I got a lot better, I would feel pretty unpleasant, right?)
I'm looking for a used because I have no problem with second hand instruments and I think I could get better quality guitar with my money this way.
I'm not sure if I should buy an acoustic or electric-acoustic. To be honest, I don't know what electric acoustic really is.
Is it acoustic guitars with pickup installed? It would be convenient, but if adding pickup into calculation drops the quality of guitar I can afford by a lot, I think I'll stick with just acoustic. I'm not looking to form a band or anything, just casual playing in my room and perhaps if I get better, playing in church or during camp fire etc.
I think I should throw in a good case in calculation as well... I'm not sure if used cases can be trusted or not. If guitar comes with a case, great. If not, how much do they usually cost (new ones)?
So, can you awesome guitarists give me some tips?
Thanks for reading this, by the way.

(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Hey, hws21c,
I'm really big on used acoustics. Find a good seller who's played and maintained the guitar and you're way ahead.
I'm Canadian as well. Probably the best bang for your buck will be a Godin. Canadian made and lots (different brand names) floating around on craigslist and the like at very fair prices.
I got (didn't know it at the time) an incredible deal on a Seagull S6 and I'd like to think I'll have that guitar for the rest of my life.
You can find a fine guitar in your price range. May just take a bit of time and waiting for the right deal.
Good luck!

Don

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

+1 on the Seagull! Well made, nice wide neck, a whole lot to like. I've had the cedar gloss top for a few years.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

There is a great article on GN for buying used guitars.

Visit here.

ReplyQuote
(@hws21c)
Topic starter  

There is a great article on GN for buying used guitars.

Visit here.

Yeah, that article led me to this forum...

BTW, awesome avartar. My dad's an HR consultant and he loves that thing.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

If you haven't found a used guitar near the end of first term, keep an eye on the bulletin boards around campus.
It's amazing what is for sale when the hard partiers realize they have drunk most of their second term's tuition money. :twisted:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote