Skip to content
Can't Get The New P...

Notifications
Clear all

Can't Get The New Paul McCartney Song Out Of My Head!

35 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

But what's up with that funky looking mandolin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTNXrkBSp_o

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It's a good album -- lots of interesting tunes on it.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Yea, I love his new single. I'm gonna have to check out the album for sure.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I really don't like this single. And, since it is playing EVERYWHERE, I have to hide from it! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

I think its cool, I've always thought of Sir Paul as one of the greatest song writer's of all time 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Awesome song! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Jury's still out on this one for me - cool vid, love the mandolin but - I dunno, I expect a bit more lyrically from Sir Macca...

BTW, for anyone wondering where you've seen the postman before, he's in all three "Pirates Of The Caribbean" films - you'd think he'd be used to ghostly figures by now!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

That's a nice song. Strange to find McCartney can still churn out some good tunes.

I will check out the album later.

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Jury's still out on this one for me - cool vid, love the mandolin but - I dunno, I expect a bit more lyrically from Sir Macca...

BTW, for anyone wondering where you've seen the postman before, he's in all three "Pirates Of The Caribbean" films - you'd think he'd be used to ghostly figures by now!

Vic

Vic,

One of the best set of lyrics he's ever written is the second track on this album: "The End of the End". There's a line in there that's just great (he's reflecting on his own mortality in the song). But I have to admit, lyrics were never his forte, but he's a gifted composer, I think.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Lyrics? When have those mattered in pop music? :lol:

This one's pure pop: simple, hummable, whistle-able ... your parents might like it; your kids might like it (mine do!) Too bad 99% of the stuff that gets played on the radio isn't as good.

Oh, I found out about the mando, if anyone's interested: it was built by Paul Hathway, UK-based luthier.
http://www.paulhathway.com/contents.html

I like this quote from McCartney:
"I (just) bought a mandolin," he tells the current issue of Uncut magazine. "It isn't tuned like a guitar so I didn't know my way around it. But the feeling of picking my way through and finding the chords was magic. It was like I was 17 again."
8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Maybe you're right, Mitch - I'm so used to listen critically to music and breaking it down, sometimes I just plain forget about enjoying good old-fashioned pop music.....and after all, that's what made McCartney famous in the first place!

Anyway, for what it's worth, this one's growing on me.....catchy as hell isn't it!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

For what it's worth, which is nothing since these are just opinions but that song doesn't do it for me at all...it may be classic Sir Mac and maybe that's why the Beatles music never did much for me either.

And the mandolin is annoying too!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

My review of Paul's new album "Memory Almost Full"

Dance Tonight- It's more than just a pop song after hearing it again. It's about his death. He doesn't want people to mourn, he wants people to celebrate his life and to keep playing his music, The Beatles music, and to keep playing music all together. 9/10

Ever Present Past- I liked the concept of the song. But it just seemed very repetitive, a throw in, filler song. 6/10

See Your Sunshine- Didn't like it too much. Simple pop song, that's all it was to me. 6/10

Only Mama Knows- Seems like a song he held close to his heart, you can hear it in his voice. Great song, and I think a lot of people will be able to hold close to this song. 8/10

You Tell Me- Good tune. Really love the music, the beat. Love the lyrics too. 8/10

Mister Bellamy- Not so sure about the lyrics. Maybe someone can explain them to me. I love the music though. Great flow. I love it. 8/10

Gratitude- Wow, he still has an incredible. Voice. I hope he can keep it till the day he dies. Simple lyrics, but I can feel the meaning of them. 8/10

Vintage Clothes- Solid song. I like the message of it. 7/10

That was Me- Great song. Great deep, inner meaning. One of my favorites so far on this album. 8/10

Feet in the Clouds- Very interesting song. Reading the lyrics you'll think all the "verys" won't work for teh song, but they actually do. Not so sure about the chorus of the song. This has a real modern sound to it. 7/10

House of Wax- Wow. Great song. Love it. Another gem on this album. 9/10

End of the End- Beautiful lyrics. Beautiful message. Great song, really touched me. 9/10

Nod Your Head- This song is about being proud about yourself and realizing who you were in life, who you are, who you are becoming. 7/10

In Private- Great instrumental. Really dig this. 7/10

Why So Blue- I disliked the song at first, but towards the end I really started to love it. 8/10

222- Real jazzy. I like it a lot. 8/10

Overall score- 8/10. Damn good album. I hope he goes on tour soon. I hope everyone gives this a listen, it's worth it.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Mmmmmmm Its definitely a McCartney song. Always seems to get a great melody going.

Anybody know what he uses on his hair :wink: Same stuff as the late Ronald Reagan maybe :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Man, I hate to be the party pooper but boy, what was that boring. All due respect to the man but I see nothing that is the tiniest bit better then what you see at the local talent competitions. Seriously, it's, to me, musically of the same standard as Britney Spears and the likes. A handfull of lame chords, a melody that a java tool could generate and uninspired lyrics.

Brrrr.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3