Clear all

cat interference

75 Posts
36 Users
0 Likes
13.7 K Views
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've never had a cat get diarrhea from milk or cheese.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

From Pets Magazine "Cat Care Guide" ; "Feeding Don'ts. Milk will cause diarrhoea in most kittens because they lack lactase, the enzyme needed to properly digest cows milk. It's best to avoid milk." "If fed occasionally, milk can be an excellent food for cats. For most cats, milk is a cherished treat, but unfortunately, some cats do not tolerate it well and may develop diarrhea. This is caused by a deficiency of lactase, an intestinal enzyme which helps the body digest lactose (milk sugar). Diarrhea can usually be controlled by reducing (or eliminating) the amount of milk given."
The writer argues for canned food feedings so as to lessen dry food consumption in order to avoid "consuming too much magnesium." "...dry food eaters tend to form a more concentrated urine - which is bad." Apparently it's not good for cats to be "snackers" as "every time digestive processes are taking place, the body experiences an 'alkaline surge' and ...the chance of struvite crystals forming in the urine is much higher in an alkaline urine. The more times the cat eats, the greater number of alkaline surges."
Real musicians care about kitty's dietary needs.

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

You could try beating it every time your not playing you guitar.

For those of you about to freak out, it is a joke. I have two spoiled dogs and a spoiled cat. Incidenally my lab doesn't like my guitar but he is just an attention hound.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@martha)
Eminent Member

the chance of struvite crystals forming in the urine is much higher in an alkaline urine.
The "Cat Care" writer neglected to mention than an Acid urine, on the other hand, facilitates the formation of calcium oxalate crystals. It's a lose-lose situation.

In the end, the only way of covering all ground is by giving the cat a balanced and varied meal. (With the exception of particular conditions which call for particular diets.)

Solid food is also extremely important to fight plaque, cavities and gum disease. Cats are carnivores, and their teeth were designed to grind against bone during feeding. They need to consume solid foods to mimic the Cleaning action that the bones exert on their teeth.

Some companies, in fact, are taking this into consideration and starting to produce particularly abrasive kibble.

I'd also be slightly reticent regarding the importance of alkaline surges. While it's true that digestion implicates the expulsion of hydrogenions and chloride, in exchange for bicarbonate being released into the blood, the alkaline tide is very slight (due to the action of the physiological buffer) and not particularly lengthy.

(And least, when compared to the time it takes for formation of insoluble crystals.)

It seams to me that ocasional snacking isn't especially harmful, and what the writer wants to refer to is continuous snacking - stuffing the animal with treats. (But then, of course, the problems lie not only on the formation of stones, but also on obesity and all its associated conditions.)

Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.

(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just to update you all about how kitty and I are doing with the guitar. I've tried putting fabric over her head just before I grab the guitar off the stand so as to delay her 'panic'. At least it prevents me from feeling like the cause for upsetting her peace and quiet. She's more concerned with getting out from under the fabric than of what I've got in my hand. She still leaves the room as soon as she notices what I'm doing but it's a step ahead. I'm aiming to distract her from the 'shock & awe' of the big, bad guitar at least to give me time to get into my playing. Psychologically (hence, ryhthmically) we're so connected that it's been difficult for me to even pick up the instrument.
I'm thinking of maybe something like 'blinders' for kitty. We'll see how it goes. She seems OK with the sound but visually she's reacting negatively.
Thanks to all for your advice and contributions.

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Martha.....who are you! You know more about cats that anyone could hope to in a lifetime or a thousand years!

Would it be ok with you if, if I had a question about my cat, I PM'd you? ...?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@martha)
Eminent Member

Taso,

Of course you can PM me. :D If I know the answer, I'd be glad to help. :)

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Heh, i read this thread and forgot this is a guitar forum.

This is cool though, me being a cat/animal lover.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

hilarious thread.

As for balanced diet....I daren't write my suggestions down.

Here Kitty.....come taste the nice dynamite powder....now go play with the matches.......boom!

End of problem!

Please note, I am joking for those sensitive pussy lovers out there :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@martha)
Eminent Member

forgot this is a guitar forum.

Ah yes, that is - of course - part of the greater plan.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

:wink:

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I LOVE cats! I think they're absolutely delicious....er I mean adorable. Being an asian I'm sure one of my ancestors had quite a bit of knowledge about cats.....and some good recipes too! :lol:

Yes I'm kidding. I do love cats tho. Our household unfortunately lost one to cancer. Poor old Finnian just started losing control over his bowel movements. Eventually he was in so much pain we had to put him to sleep. It was a year ago already but he's still missed. :(

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

NEVER have so many words been written about a dumb furry animal.

Apart from Geri Halliwell's biography, obviously!!!!!!!!!

Dogs = freindly, rewarding, loyal, affectionate, great company, know good from bad.

Cats = selfish little monsters that only want to know you, when there's something in it for them.

amazing thred, truly!!!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Cats = selfish little monsters that only want to know you, when there's something in it for them.Simply untrue. Although, cats are pretty good at recognizing people they just don't like and avoiding them.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You feed a dog he thinks to himself "You must be God"!
You feed a cat he thinks to himself "I must be God!"

ReplyQuote
 Gump
(@gump)
Trusted Member

Play really loud.

And set the tone to bright. Cats love that.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5