Clear all

cat interference

75 Posts
36 Users
0 Likes
13.7 K Views
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

My cats don't give a hoot for either the guitar or the keyboard....but I have one who likes to try to play the banjo. She can't get the hang of rolls or pinching and her fretting is non-exestant so everything is in open G. I don't think she'll ever make the Opery.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
 TimL
(@timl)
Eminent Member

Both my cats love the guitar, but enjoy the case even more.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

That a Manx? That's lookin' like a little too much enjoyment to me.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
 TimL
(@timl)
Eminent Member

Nope not a Manx, just your typical American Shorthair (his tail is drooping over the other side). He lays like that quite a bit, although he's probably the only cat I've ever seen do that, lots of dogs do though.

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Tim your Manx' position is hilarious. Now that's a musical cat.

I wish my kitty wouldn't be so unhappy when I pick up the guitar.

She's not getting over it no matter what I try.

She's winning the fight and my time with the guitar suffers for it.

But she's fallen in love with the lazy-boy rocking chair.

I wish she'd love my guitar as much as she loves that chair.

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

let me see if i got this straight.
You play the guitar and the cat runs away?

i'm not seeing a downside here.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

So, Sapho, it has been almost 2 years and your cat still runs away? Keep playing when you want to, and love the cat later!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yes it's been about two years since kitty got me.
First I agreed to babysit her and now she's got me wrapped around her itty-bitty paws.

I've tried everything - temptation treats, sheet over her head (and body). I've got to get her to associate the guitar with getting a treat but she runs away before I can get a treat into her.

The look of fear in her eyes when I pick up the guitar is just too much.

I'm just saying that I could probably have progressed more with the guitar if kitty had loved my music instead of this hissing attitude.

I've tried to upload a picture of the little vixen but I don't know how.
I clicked Img but it's a URL right?

And yes I want kitty to sit nicely and appreciate my music. What a change that would make to my progress. Maybe then I'd spend the usual 8 hours like I used to on the guitar.

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

My cat has been behaving very badly lately. Either from another cat outside coming around and marking his/her terrority or he's sick (vets just cost so bloody much though). Well, he decided to make one of my guitars his. Yes, he sprayed it. Thankfully it wasn't my Ibanez RG or Gibby V or my mood would be worse. My poor Ibanez GRG. :( :shock: :evil:

I've wipped it down best I could....but being male kitty urine....EWW!!!

Getting back on topic. My cat isn't too much afraid of me playing guitar around him. He doesn't like harmonics very much. That usually sends him running, which I feel bad about. I don't blame my cat with the hearing he has either, that must hurt.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Me and my wife have four cats, and in the beginning, when we first got together and I would start playing guitar, the cats would run and hide! After about five years all our cats fight over who gets to sleep in my Traynor combo when I start to play! I think it's because it's a tube amp and I'm usally playing while we watch TV and I'm playing at a pretty low volume and the cab gets warm from the tubes!

Of course, it could also mean that I have finally made the poor furballs totally DEAF! :shock:

The dog still runs and hides in the basement..........

Sometimes my wife and kids do too......... :?

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Sapho, if your cat is so fond of the rocking chair, put the chair in a different room to the one you're going to be playing guitar in. Either that or ignore the cat while you're playing.

My two dogs seem to like the sound of my playing - well they don't run away screaming anyway, they're quite content to lie under my desk. If they did interfere with my practise, they would be immediately ushered from the room - it's that simple. Same goes for human family members!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How do I upload a pic here???

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Hmmm, how to upload a pic here?

I did it myself for the first time recently, but do I remember? Not sure, but try this maybe.....Click the button to Post a Reply, then in that window, click the Img button (I think), and copy and paste the pic in...if that doesn't work, try something else. :lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That works with the URL of a file you've already put on the Web somewhere. I park my pics for free over at http://photobucket.com/ for this purpose.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Here's my big lug of a cat.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5