Clear all

Change In Musical Tastes

28 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

How many of you had a change in musical tastes since picking up the guitar? Do you like heavier music like some modern Metal or similar, or have you gotten more into longer jams ala Allman Brothers' Mountain Jam from the Filmore East album weighing in at 34 minutes. Or maybe a specific act or two that you had no interest in, but like them now due to their guitar play or what not. Perhaps you like somehting less now?

For me, I became a bigger fan of jams and Blues music, and most surprisingly for me, Blue Grass. I don't play any non-guitar instruments, but can appreciate the Banjo, Mandolin and even the trusty Uke (any ukes in Bluegrass?).

A better appreciation for the Allmans, too, regardless of older recording with living and ex-members or their current lineup who cannot be considered as light weight players on their own.

And less? I might tire of listening to someone, but normally don't place them on the scrap heap.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

well Roy I'm going to say no but I'll qualify it a bit. In terms of the type of music I like to listen to that hasn't changed much at all, but, and I've posted this before what I like to listen too isn't necessarily what I like to play some I do but alot I don't.

I like to play music that has energy and gets you going. If I play I like to play faster more aggresive songs not necessarily metal just songs that have some umph to them, I like to feel the music literally which means for the most part I like to play fairly loud.

The music I usually like to listen to for me is vocal oriented at least for me it is and what I mean is that I like the music mostly because of who is singing it and their voice.

As far as jams they don't do it for me I'm not sure why and I think about it sometimes but never came up with a reason but to me it's like musical babbling it just goes on and on and on....We do jam once in awhile with the group but not that often sometimes it can be fun but most times it bores me and many times it ends up some kind of blues jam and that really bores me. I'm sure some of it is my inability to take it to new levels so maybe someday I'll find some fun in it but I would much prefer playing covers and or playing some original music.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

I have definately had a change in the way i listen to music. For example, i always liked the police, ever since i was a kid, but only since i started to understand the guitar a bit better did i realise just how cool some of the stuff andy summers did was, and now i find i listen to his part more intently than the other parts in the mix.

I had a similar experience with ocean colour scene. their guitarist Steve craddock (who is also in paul wellers band), has a great approach to playing rhythm which i really like to pay attention to when before i started playing the guitar it would have just past me by.

good question roy!!!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Al brought up a good point though. I definitely listen to music differently now than I used to. I do tend to focus more on the individual instruments expecially guitar where in the past it would just pass me by I was just interested with the music as a whole and didn't care about the individual pieces so in that sense things have changed but it hasn't changed my musical taste at all.

I'll be the first to admit I have an eclectic taste in music not necessarily obsure music or artists just that I have alot of differenet artists that I like but I'm not sure there is any artist that I like ALL oif their work.

I have always been a huge fan of Bowie but I don't like alot of his stuff past say 1980 or so. There are a few good tunes but I prefer his earlier late 60-late 70's stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

That is a goood point. Wasn't too long ago I couldn't pick out one instrument from another unless obvious. Now I can pick out the different guitar pieces with ease unless it's complex. I've even had a time or two where I was pretty sure what type of guitar was being played.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't say a global change in tastes, but playing in a band is interesting. When you play with others, you find yourself having to learn songs that aren't necessarily your cup of tea. But over time, as I learn those songs, I come to new appreciation of them. And I learn artists I might not even have known before.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

+1 on the new appreciation. I gave up awhile ago trying to influence the other guys to play the songs I like it turned into to much of a hassle so for the most part I go along with what the others suggested unless I really, really don't like the song and that doesn't happen that often.

we play a few AC/DC and Judas priest songs and I never liked either of these bands before but I enjoy playing their songs alot, they all seemn to have a high energy level that I like.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I don't think the style I listen to has changed that much, except for styles that didn't exist when I was younger. But, when I started playing bass, I did start to listen to some stuff that I hadn't listened to in a while. When I first started playing guitar, the way I listened changed a little, cause I would count during every song (I was completely new to music and music theory). After a while, I quit and listened the way I always had (vocals and guitar solos). Now that I mostly play bass, it's like listening to a totally new song. Now I listen mostly to the bass line and then the melody on top of that. I drive my fiance crazy cause I sing the bass lines to songs instead of the melody. :D

A perfect example: I was listening to a live Dream Theater album on the way home Tuesday. During one of the numerous guitar solos, John Petrucci was playing roughly 64,000 notes per minute and a year ago, I would have been hanging on every note. But, I was realized I was thinking "oohh, that was a tasty little bass fill there Mr. Myung."

That last paragraph may get me banished from the forum :oops:

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I've had some big musical changes in playing.

I started just wanting to strum and sing country, then I went to fingerstyle and classical.

It seems that everytime I find something new, I move in a new direction, but I ALWAYS go back to the country, that's for sure. But the fingerstyle and classical and reading music is taking up all my time right now....and I LOVE IT!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

How many of you had a change in musical tastes since picking up the guitar? ... I don't play any non-guitar instruments, but can appreciate the Banjo, Mandolin and even the trusty Uke (any ukes in Bluegrass?).

No change in the genre I like: classic rock (pretty wide open description), but now I can appreciate other instruments and the skill in playing them.

The Beatles were always my favorite, but I didn't know anything about music or especially their music (can you say "really funky arrangements"? ) until I watched The Beatles Anthology a month or two ago. Yeah, at 52 years old I sat transfixed watching them play, and thinking "so that's how you do that!" and "they really did play that way!" (whatever "that" happened to be I was watching).

Siggi Mertens, in his Lady Madonna lesson said something similar. He said that when he started to play music it was after the Beatles broke up, and he too didn't really appreciate their music and playing ability until after they broke up and he discovered them.

It was the same thing watching Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora play acoustic versions of Living on a Prayer and Wanted Dead or Alive on In The Actors' Studio last night. I've heard the songs for years and have the recordings, but to actually watch made me really appreciate the ability to play. Especially without all the multilayered and backing tracks, instruments and vocals, etc.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Since I've been playing pretty much since I can remember (started at age 7 or 8), I can't say my musical tastes have changed since picking up the guitar. Rather, they've developed as I've played the guitar.

And I can definitely say that my tastes have altered as I've learned more.

The more proficient I became at various techniques and styles, the more I appreciated certain players within those styles. And that appreciation led me to investigate the influences of guitarists I liked, and to explore branches of music I might not have otherwise discovered.

I found gypsy jazz this way, looking into the music of Wes Montgomery, I found Django Rheinhardt as one of his influences. And that started a real love affair with gypsy jazz that has influenced everything I've done since. At the same time, I traced who Wes influenced forward and found players such as Satriani and Martino. And that led me into new directions as well.

The great thing about music in general, in my mind, is that there really isn't anything new, but there are always new ways of looking at the same thing. But that doesn't happen by leaps and bounds, but by a long conversation between ourselves and everyone around us, and before us, back to the first guys banging sticks together. And we can learn from everyone because everyone sees just slightly differently.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I've often wondered 'bout that, Parker.

There's also a bit of the world going elsewhere rather than your own tastes varying!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It is not exactly a change in musical tastes, I think in my own case it is an evolution.

I am discovering and rediscovering music every day. I always tried to learn about new music and new styles. Probably the guitar didn't open a door to new music, I already heard that kind of music. However, the bass did I listened the music in a different way, by discovering new elements that I never listened previously.

Guitar Noise also did I explored new musical styles. Mainly my collaborations with Dogbite but also the comments on new bands to me (classical rock bands that I never heard before or bands that are not promoted here).

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

My musical tastes change as I get older, and this has nothing to do with the guitar, but everything to do with my understanding of music.

I've been a musician since I was in junior high school, and started playing pro gigs then. I make my living doing music and nothing else (sax, flute, wind synth, guitar, bass, keyboards, drums and computer).

While I still enjoy simple music (blues, rock, etc.) I went through a jazz phase for years, but now I find myself choosing more complex "classical" music to put on the CD player. And not Mozart or Bach, they are OK but the people like Prokofiev, Shostakovitch, Dvorak, Suk, Tchaikovsky, Espai, Amirov, etc. really give me eargazms.

In the car blues, rock, and jazz are still fine, but when it comes to serious music listening, the Romantic Era to Modern "classical" CDs are the ones that really tickle my ears the most.

However, since I picked up guitar, I find myself listening to guitar music with more educated ears.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

This is alittle off topic but a little observation that I have made which may or may not be true. What I have noticed is that people who have become fairly accomplished at playing the guitar invariably end up playing jazz.

My only guess would be that after awhile blues, rock, contry whatever tends to bore them and jazz provides much more of a challenge to play then most of the others.

I could be wrong but that's just the way it seems to me. I'll have to admit that even though I am no where near an accomplished musician I already am starting to get bored with playing alot of the classic rock stuff. Sure there are extremely difficult pieces out there but for the most part it's pretty straight forward stuff and after you've played a few years you can play most of the music relatively easily.

Maybe thoughts from you jazz musicians.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2