Clear all

Cheap E-Drums for ManCave

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Just picked a set of these up at Sam's Club for $299. They don't sound bad and feel a lot like real drums much to my suprise. Anyone got any experience with this sort of thing?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@alangreen)

None whatsoever, but when I lived in Germany we had an Oom-pah band come out to the village fair a couple of times and they had an electronic drum kit which sounded pretty decent.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

From a non-drummer's point of view, they seem to have everything going for them - price isn't too bad, they look easy to put together, easier to tune (so I've heard) and don't take up a lot of space. Now if they SOUND OK, they're probably a good investment!

Let us know how you get on with them!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Do you just hook them up to some sort of speaker or PA system? The missus and I were eye-balling a set at Sam Ash a little while back. Looks like fun. Lay down your own drum tracks to you and TF's stuff without knocking shingles off the roof. Gotta love toys. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

A guy from work who I used to jam with had an electronic set...hign end he paid about $5,000-6,000 for it. The drums were OK but he always complained about the cymbals and would use his acoustic cymbals with it.

For what we were doing at the time (just playing in a basement) they were fine especially if you don't have to move them.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Just picked a set of these up at Sam's Club for $299. They don't sound bad and feel a lot like real drums much to my suprise. Anyone got any experience with this sort of thing?

Our drummer uses a $3000 dollar Roland set for live. They sound *great*, and we blow minds with our load-ins. No amps, 9 channels used on the PA, and ready for sound check in 20 minutes.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

My daughter wants, does TR recommend?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

A friend plays drums and when he was looking for a set to play at home he also considered the electrics mainly the space that they need and also it can be played with headphones. His teacher didn't advise them, it seems some specific techniques can not be learned (redoble or drumroll?).

TR, I could ask him for more info if you want it.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Roy, I use my little Peavey PA that is 100 watts along with my Kustom monitor speakers, 10's and horns (pointed at you while you play) as well as the 15 from Thunderfingers old lightning fried bass amp with a 125 watt power amp (slaved off the Peavey's line out). It is as loud as an acoustic kit easily, yet it has a volume controll.

Twistedlefty, so far I like them. They are metal and rubber, no plastic. The throne is sturdy as well. (TF and I are fat a#ses) The boy goes 260 lb and it holds him just fine. They sound really good to me, but I am not a drummer. For what we have them for, I think they will be just fine.

Nuno, not sure about the playability issue. They are responsive. The snare is even tunable with tension adjustments and a seperate sound for rim shots. The assembly tools were an allen wrench and believe it or not .... a drum key! :lol: The foot pedals are metal and heavy. The cymbals have nuts on top to adjust their action and everything.

Sounds like you got a good setup Moonrider. Light and compact. I don't think these cheapies would be real road worthy but with a quality setup why not. I was wondering after playing these why you don't see more of them being used in bands.

By the way, perfect for recording. No mic's, no volume issues .........

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

They look great. I want a man cave!!!!!!! :x
instead i have a girls playroom :cry:

i bet you can have loads of fun jamming out to them - our drummer gigged with an electric kit live, and they were great, he has something similar to you in his house so he can practice quietly, and some of the sounds he can get from them are awesome.

have fun with the new toy! :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

My friend bought something similar so that he could learn to play drums quietly. He got a deal off ebay for somewhere around 350/400$.

I also had a guitar teacher who had a electronic drumset that he used for recording, he had a program that would allow him to download different drum sounds that he could program onto each of the different parts. So he could play any style or brand of snare on one drum set.

If i could play drums i would be all over a set like that but my feet dont work with my hands.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cyhtXCd_eM

OK, I called this "DrumTard" I shot this about a week after buying them. It aint Carmine Apice by any stretch but you'll get the idea of how thy work. :roll: Now Bish ...... just cover your ears and look away.................... :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

More CowBell!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hey TR, that sounds pretty good!

Did you already play drums? It should be practically impossible to coordinate both arms and both legs to me.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Nuno, I had a cheap set for about a year some 12 years ago but haven't hit one since then. I guess I just take to it. We will see if I get any better.

TwistedLefty, the more cowbell drummer was born and raised 2 villages down the road from my house and dropped out of the same college I did. Must be something in the water. :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2