Christmas gas, need advice

21 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

I'm gassing pretty bad for a christmas guitar purchase. I'm always constantly doing research on the guitar "I would get if I was looking for a guitar right now," and now I am!

I want an archtop, and I've narrowed it down to two-ish choices. Either a high end 335 copy, probably a Heritage or Tokai, or a thinline hollowbody like the Gibson es125t or Guild t-50/x-50. I've found all around the same price ($1000-1200).

-The Gibson/Guild is a single pickup p-90, completely hollow, older (fragile, less predictable), maybe less versatile,. I'm in love with these guitars.

-The Heritage looks totally awesome and I would have it forever, well built, versatile.

I play mostly clean, maybe a little dirt, Radiohead kind of stuff. I may be gigging in future...

My head says Heritage. Heart says Gibby/Guild. What should I do?

Pics:

(@bloos66)
Reputable Member

My opinion: 335 copy for gigging, they are beautiful guitars. The new Epiphone Dots are pretty good as well.

Have you played them all yet? In the end it comes down to the sound and the way the feel in your hands. Generally, a 335/copy is a pretty good allrounder. Merry Christmas, looks like it's going to be a great one :)

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, thats the thing, its totally the smarter purchase. Anyone gonna tell me to screw it and get the gibby/guild? :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I love those old hollowbodies, too!

335 types are great, I love them, and they're very versatile, but they're a dime a dozen. An old style Gibbie hollowbody with the single pickup is a rare gem nowadays. I have a blues playing friend who has an old ES-125 he sometimes takes to gigs. I'll wait all night to hear him play it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Get what you can afford. Don't over extend yourself. That's my advise.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ricochet, does your buddy gig it often? Its not his main axe, or is it? Thats part of the thing, I'm afraid that if I'm playing it a lot and gigging, will it hold up.

Well, both are around the same price and an investment, but yeah, I'm torn. AAHHHHH

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

His is a sure enough antique. He doesn't take it out every time. But he's got so many guitars he can't take them out all the time. He's predominantly a Strat man, anyway, but he's got lots of others. Has a lovely big red 335 with '62 PAF pickups in it that I'm quite fond of as well.

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to buy a guitar like that and then only have it and a mex tele to rely on. The tele isn't a bad guitar but leaves something to be desired, if you know what I mean...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Get what you want, I'm not trying to talk you into anything. You did ask for a contrary opinion.

I don't have anything like an ES-125 myself. I do have an Agile AS-820 that's a 335 lookalike, but mine's equipped with P-90s. I absolutely love it!

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I did want contrary opinions! Thanks for that. I guess I'm just still undecided. Thanks for the help.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I don't think you can really go wrong either way, and I'm not sure either one's going to be the last guitar you'll ever want. Just depends on what you like best and will get the most use out of now, really.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Single pickup less versatile?

Doesn't seem to concern Joe. :D

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Single pickup less versatile?

Doesn't seem to concern Joe. :D

But then nothing much ever concerns Joe. Neverthefreakingless, I agree -- wouldn't get too hung up about only having one pup. All those LP Juniors, PRS single soapbars and the like are pretty seductive these days.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Who is Joe? Err, who is that Joe? :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Joe Walsh. He played alone and with lots of people but probably he will be always known as one of the Eagles' members. Amazing guitar player.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2