Skip to content
Clap Your Hands, 1 ...

Notifications
Clear all

Clap Your Hands, 1 and 3 .... um, or is it 2 and 4?

27 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

With all that's going wrong in the world, political and social division, terrorism and war, financial markets collapsing, etc., a heated debate has developed between a member of our praise band and a member of the congregation.

The subject: on which beats should you clap your hands.

1 & 3, or 2 & 4. (Assume 4/4 time to keep things simple.)

Yeah, totally petty. But it is what it is.

So what say you? 1 & 3, or 2 & 4? With the kick or with the snare? On the downbeat or the upbeat? Or just sway and raise 'em high, like the hippy family in the front pew?

Help resolve this conflict!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Upbeat, on the snare. That's the only way I know it. I wonder what Joe the plumber would think of it...

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I hate to say this, but it depends on the song. Usually it's the 2 and 4, but we've played all sorts of songs where the 1 and 3 seem to work better.

Yeah, I know, no help at all... :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I hate to say this, but it depends on the song. Usually it's the 2 and 4, but we've played all sorts of songs where the 1 and 3 seem to work better.

Yeah, I know, no help at all... :wink:

Peace

Isn't this why some music is known as backbeat (2 & 4) and some not (1 & 3)? Should be able to feel it.

Whatever you choose: Nail it!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Or just sway and raise 'em high, like the hippy family in the front pew?

And I thought you missed me at church last Sunday Mitch! :wink: :lol:

2 & 4! C'mon, who claps on 1 & 3?! :roll: :P

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

For gospel/praise music, ...the 2 and the 4.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I like alternative praise music, so I say clap on the &... :D
sorry, had too.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Doesn't really matter, whatever feels good to you.

I've heard some people get really up-tight about the audience clapping on the "wrong" beats. Personally, as long as they are participating and having a good time, I could care less which beats they are clapping on.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Continuing the helpful mode...

I did a gig the other week and we had a couple of flamenco dancers with us. they had the audience on their feet to do some basic moves and had them clapping on 1 and stamping on 2, 3 and 4.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

1.5 and 2.5.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Isn't this why some music is known as backbeat (2 & 4) and some not (1 & 3)? Should be able to feel it.

Whatever you choose: Nail it!

+1

For rock and many other styles of more contemporary stuff, it's all about emphasizing the backbeat (2 and 4). That's what gives it a major part of its character (so says our choirmaster who is also a professional pianist and music school owner). Naturally, as an opinionated amateur, I'm quite happy to repeat this.... with or without attribution... :wink:

For older material, or maybe just other styles, then emphasizing the 1 and 3 is often the way to go.

We're not a church choir, but as it's approaching Christmas we're doing more hymn and carol stuff now, and there's a couple that we'll do both ways. We'll do a straight traditional version, and then he'll get us to 'rap' through a jazzy version with emphasis on the backbeat, and even off the beat altogether in spots. Once we've got the beat sorted, we'll sing it that way. It's a lot of fun, and very effective.

When you have 50 or 60 people all singing it's good to agree which way you're heading before you start though... :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

With all that's going wrong in the world, political and social division, terrorism and war, financial markets collapsing, etc., a heated debate has developed between a member of our praise band and a member of the congregation.

It's amazing the little things people argue about. :shock:

One of the worst arguments I ever had with my first wife was over the lyrics to the Bob Dylan hit Lay Lady Lay. We were driving down the road and this song was playing on the radio. My wife was singing along and sang, "you can have your pig and eat it too". I laughed and told her it doesn't go like that. She insisted that it did. I told her that was ridiculous and didn't make sense, that it said "you can have your cake and eat it too" . Man, she got really angry and insisted she was right, I insisted I was right. We got so angry at each other we barely talked for a week. Sounds stupid, but that was one of the most heated arguments we ever had. All over a song.

I dunno, I am used to clapping on the 2 and 4, but as others said, you can do it either way. Some music like Reggae stresses the first and third beats, most Rock and Blues (and probably Gospel as well) stresses the 2 and 4.

Our band plays the old Argent hit Hold Your Head Up. Believe it or not, our drummer (who is exceptionally good) could not get the beat. It actually emphasizes the "and" after the fourth beat.

one two three four AND one two three four AND one two three four AND....

The bass player and myself had to count it out to him several times before he could get it. You have to hit the snare on the and after four. Super easy, but it actually gave him problems.

But don't get in an uproar over it, not worth it. Trust me, I know. :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I think Rahul nailed it.
1.5 and 2.5
First, it is politically correct in that it doesn't offend the 1&3er's vs the 2&4er's.
Second, it is a compromise so no one is offended (but no one is going to be happy with)
Third, it's on the offbeat so very few people are going to be able to clap to that beat therefore no one is offended.
Fourth, it's kind of kinky . . . yet could not possibly offend anyone . . . because it's a subtle kind of kinky.

KR2 (Did I say it doesn't offend anyone?)

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

LOL; you folks can be funny! But thanks for the good discussion.

The funny thing is,
I've heard some people get really up-tight about the audience clapping on the "wrong" beats.

in this case, the argument was actually started by the guy in the "audience" who insists our singers should clap exclusively on the 1 & 3. He even went so far as to tell the praise leader that she's throwing the congregation off by clapping on the 2 & 4. She politely pointed out that he could try joining the team instead of just criticizing ... that always seems to put people in their place. 8)

Oh, and we've got plenty of people who clap on the 1.5 and 2.5 ... and the 1.25 and 2.75 ... :lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, good for him I guess. His life must be going pretty well if he can afford to get excited about something like that.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2