Skip to content
Clap Your Hands, 1 ...

Notifications
Clear all

Clap Your Hands, 1 and 3 .... um, or is it 2 and 4?

27 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

One of the worst arguments I ever had with my first wife was over the lyrics to the Bob Dylan hit Lay Lady Lay. We were driving down the road and this song was playing on the radio. My wife was singing along and sang, "you can have your pig and eat it too". I laughed and told her it doesn't go like that. She insisted that it did. I told her that was ridiculous and didn't make sense, that it said "you can have your cake and eat it too" . Man, she got really angry and insisted she was right, I insisted I was right. We got so angry at each other we barely talked for a week. Sounds stupid, but that was one of the most heated arguments we ever had. All over a song.

:lol:
I learned a very important thing shortly after getting married: pick your battles. Some things just aren't worth getting into a fight over.

I agree with Gnease and Chris. I used to go to a very traditional church that only sang congregational hymns and if anyone was audacious enough to clap it was on 1 and 3. Now I go to a church that does more contemporary worship music and it is mostly done on 2 and 4.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I love the clapping done in flamenco music. Now these people take clapping seriously. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

clap when you want to clap. it's music, not the military.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

My son and I clap on all the beats - even a few that aren't there!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Your church into Reggae??? It makes a difference...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

erm, 1 and 4? 2 and 3? Rythm is one of my worst things.

But to the point of your situation, a guy in the congregation who wants to argue, find fault, and tell you what to do about that, just wants to argue, find fault, and tell you what to do.

I say do an experiment. Next week, give him what he wants- everybody clap on one and three. See what else he finds to criticise. Or maybe...sounds to me like a case of a guy who wants, or wanted, to be in the band, but lacks something. (Nerve? Talent? an invitation? no idea.) Maybe the nicest approach is to get him a nice, simple, clappy kind of instrument (maracas? Tambourine? Two sticks?) and get him up there with you. He'll love it!

Best,
Ande

PS- It's what they'd do where I used to go to church- but they felt better than they sounded, if you know what I mean.

PPS- Never, ever ever argue with someone you love about Dylan lyrics. Even Dylan hardly ever sung'em the same way twice. With Dylan, the words are whatever they are TO YOU. And the sun ain't yellow, it's chicken.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

No drummer at tonight's practice.

We have FOUR drummers that rotate. If the scheduled one can't make it, it's his responsibility to find a replacement. So, no drummer. :x

We've got a fairly upbeat song this week that could really use a drummer. With good intentions, one of the singers picked up a tambourine. One picked up a shaker. The others clapped.

You know where this is going.

Hand-clappers on the 2 and 4.

Shaker on the 1 and 3.

Tambourine on the 1.5 and 2.5 !!! Really !!!

What a mess!

I stopped playing. Worship leader looks at me as if to ask, "what's wrong?" I hold up my fingers - 1 and 3! 2 and 4! She starts laughing, because I've sent her a link to this thread and she knows exactly what's going on.

Mid-way through the song I sat down at the drums and started keeping time with the kick. Heck, if everyone else was keeping their own beat, I could too.

1 and 2 and 3 and 4.
:lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

. . . :note1: and the beat goes on :note2: . . . .

really . . . just pick a beat . . . any ol' beat will do . . .

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

We have a lot of clappers who don't land on any count. Or keep the same tempo as the music, it just moves through.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I have a live recording of a Will Hoge show and he starts a song and some people are clapping in the wrong spot, so he stops playing and says something like all he asks is that if you're going to clap, everybody do it together and starts laughing when he starts back.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Two words- White people. (have no rhythm) :lol: :lol:
One of the best church experiences I've had was to be baptized in an all black Baptist church. (I'm a white guy)
The choir was clapping, the band was playing. Nobody missed a beat. Was awesome.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@pane-in-the-glass)

Personally, I think that if you're clapping along, you should be clapping on 2 & 4. The way I see it, if you're clapping on 1 & 3, you're just keeping the beat, but when you clap on 2 & 4, you're givin' it a groove (of course there are some exceptions, but your songs probably aren't among them). If the song doesn't need a groove, it doesn't need clapping. That being said, though, just because it's right musically, doesn't make it right politically. That's one you'll have to decide for yourself.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2