Clear all

classic rock

68 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
21.1 K Views
(@jbalexdarkelf)
Topic starter  

I have listened to classic rock for most of my life. Sounds wierd i know but when i would ride in the truck with my dad he would have it blazing. So it grew on me. And my deffinition of classic rock may be different than others. I see that any band who was great in their day would be difined as classic rock. So any body like classic rock as much as me :?:

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I like lots of classic rock and mostly eveything from the 60s-70s, the music from that time is jsut alot better in many ways. I'm 15 years old and I really don't like any of the music today. I got these influeneces from my dad who was into all these great bands from the 60s and 70s. He started pretty young too, he let me listen to Queen and The Eagles at age 6 or 7. I'll never get bohemian rapsody or hotel california as long as I live due to that

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm 15 years old and I really don't like any of the music today.

Considering the fact that there are tons of great bands and artists in so many different genres mean you either know very little of today's music or have a very, very, shallow and narrow interest in music...

Back to the original question: Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, the Eagles, Stones, Beatles, Deep Purple and so many others are awesome. Anyone with any musical interest should be able to find bands from that era they like.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Well I don't know about that Arjen. I feel the same way he does. I'm 17, and the only bands I like are from the 60's and 70's. (Granted some are still around today)

I looooove classic rock. That, and some jazz/blues stations I found on this XM radio thing are all I listen to. Before the XM it was just 3 classic rock stations. I also love blues rock, but I consider them linked. (Hence the rock at the end of each genre)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Taso: So you like bluesrock and only bands from the 60s/70s. Too bad man, you'd really like SRV, but he's from the 80s. And what a pitty that excludes Gary Moore, he's an awesome bluesrock guitarist from the 80s and 90s mostly. So you listen to Jazz? And you want to state that after the 70s not a single conservatorium managed to train atleast one proper jazz musician? You really believe none of the orchestra's around make proper music? You never managed to find a single unknown blues guitarist you liked in one of the billion bluescafes every nation has? You don't like the pre-worldwar2 blues? Never liked a single song by radiohead from their early-rock period? Does Bach, Rachmaninov, Mozart and Chopin sound familiar? If so, do you really don't like anything by them?

Maybe you do only like bands from the 60s/70s. But if you dislike all of the folks above then you have to admit your interest isn't that large. And if you didn't know them you simply missed out on a lot of great stuff. What I think though is that all these great people simply slipped your mind. Am I right?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yes, in your over zealous way, you're partially right ;)

I like SRV's cover of Voodoo child and another hendrix song. I don't like any radiohead songs, I've never heard of Gary Moore. Listen to Jazz, sometimes, maybe once a month I'll put on Joe Pass, and I liked those Jazz stations. As for Bach, Mozart, Chopin, Ludwig, I respect what they did for music, and I like maybe a few of Behtovens (spelling) songs.. (Fur Elise, and thats it actually) Old Blues? I like it, again respecting what it has done for music. Do I own any CD's, any mp3's, no. I'll only listen to it if it's in a movie, or with that new XM radio now and then (granted god knows I hear it when Clapton plays and such, but thats not the same)

So yes, basically the only bands I like are from the 60's and 70's. I certainly can't name any old blues bands or classic jazz bands that I like. Nor can I truly say I like Ludwig or Mozart.
And, my interest is VERY large, in the bands I like. I can listen to purely Billy Joel, starting with his first CD, to his 19th over and over, and I'd love it. But my interest in Music itself may not be that large. Aspects of the music I love (guitar for instance) are what interest me, along with the piano, and the saxaphone and even the harmonica.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Each to his own taste! Taste is indeed an area where folks must agree to disagree. To take what may seem an extreme example, there are a number of rap artists out there who by all counts are virtuosos in their field. I doubt that much proselytizing about how good they are will make me want to listen to them or change my taste.

All Dark Elf and Black Zerogsh are saying is that classic rock suits their taste. I don't think that means they discount all other music -- they just like "classic rock" best.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Musenfreund: ofcourse. But there is a rather large difference between taste and limited experience. If you say 'I know some folks can rap well, but I just don't like it' then that is just your opinion, fine. But then take this example from Taso (nothing personal Taso, no offense intended):

1) I like bluesrock
2) I only like bands from the 60s/70s
3) I never heared of Gary Moore

Don't you agree something is just wrong here? Mr. Moore ain't no unknown guitarist (often gigged with Albert King, BB King, Albert Collings, was given Peter Green's Gibson LP etc) who played both awesome rock and blues music, in a style not unlike that Taso likes. It's like saying the only food you like are burgers from McDonalds without having heared of Burger King. It's like saying blue is the best color without ever having seen red.

So Taso likes classic rock? Fine. And nothing not made in the 60s/70s will appeal to him? Horsecrap! Ofcourse, I can just sit back and say 'fine dude, whatever you want.' On the other hand, I could also point out some stuff he might never have heared of which he would like. And no doubt he can point me to stuff he knows and I don't. With some luck we'll both find new stuff we'll like.

Seems a bit nicer then the same old 'can't argue about taste' story. :lol:

Oh Musenfreund, about not discounting other music:
I'm 15 years old and I really don't like any of the music today.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lol. I never said I disliked other music... I said the only bands I like are from the 60's and 70's. Theres a large difference. I cannot like something I have not heard.

ReplyQuote
(@nathan1709)
Trusted Member

At the risk of sounding like an old fart (I'm 23 by the way). I much prefer 'classic' music to a lot of the shite they churn out these days! 8)

"This is a public service announcement.....with guitars"

ReplyQuote
(@nathan1709)
Trusted Member

Hey, I didn't say poop! I would never allow such a euphemistic word to pass my lips!

"This is a public service announcement.....with guitars"

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

lol, George Carlin fan?

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member

Taso: So you like bluesrock and only bands from the 60s/70s. Too bad man, you'd really like SRV, but he's from the 80s. And what a pitty that excludes Gary Moore, he's an awesome bluesrock guitarist from the 80s and 90s mostly. So you listen to Jazz? And you want to state that after the 70s not a single conservatorium managed to train atleast one proper jazz musician? You really believe none of the orchestra's around make proper music? You never managed to find a single unknown blues guitarist you liked in one of the billion bluescafes every nation has? You don't like the pre-worldwar2 blues? Never liked a single song by radiohead from their early-rock period? Does Bach, Rachmaninov, Mozart and Chopin sound familiar? If so, do you really don't like anything by them?

Maybe you do only like bands from the 60s/70s. But if you dislike all of the folks above then you have to admit your interest isn't that large. And if you didn't know them you simply missed out on a lot of great stuff. What I think though is that all these great people simply slipped your mind. Am I right?

I think you must have misunderstood what the users here were trying to say. Although there are some people who exclusively listen to a single genre or time era, I don't think that's what the posters above were implying at all. I pretty much only like artists from the 60s and 70s. I don't think I have mroe than one or two modern artists that I listen to on any regular basis. Not because I disqualify everything else, it's because I don't really go to any bars or clubs where they play the style of music I'd be willing to pay to hear. And I'm sure there is siome great modern stuff on iTunes and in CD stores, but I am not rich and have a large backlog of old albums I'd like to own first anyways.

Plus there are some conventions in music back then that aren't quite as present or apparant in a lot of modern music. Most noteably the concept album. Nowadays, the labels are looking for singles, meaning many bands even those that aren't professional are focusing their energy on this route.

ReplyQuote
(@jbalexdarkelf)
Topic starter  

exactly, i may listen to alot of clasic rock, but i do listen to some more modern stuff, just not as much as classic rock.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Arjen,
I think it's really difficult to know if someone's writing from limited experience or not. And I've found over the years that telling folks their limited experience has interfered with their ability to develop a more eclectic taste in music, painting, poetry, or whatever, does very little to persuade them. I think in essence the poster here wants to celebrate a certain style of music. That's great. And now that I know what's to the poster's liking, I might suggest some more recent bands that would interest him too. But I'd refrain from concluding that a focus on a certain era meant that the writer's taste was parochial. That might lead to a more contentious discussion than the original poster envisioned or desired. I agree with you about the significance of the music you named in your examples. But to range from Mozart to SRV is, of course, to suggest some rather extreme illustrations. And the most recent example you named was Radiohead, wasn't it? And the post you responded to stated that the writer didn't find today's music that interesting. He didn't discount music from past eras -- which comprise most of your examples.
But I think it's important in a discussion not to characterize others in negative terms. That's really what I was getting at.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5