classical forum?

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i just saw that slide&alt. tunings have gotten their own forum..
i was just wondering if anyone else was interested in a classical guitar forum, for all of us wierd guys;)

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I don't really know how to vote on this one. It depends on how many classical players we have here, I guess.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I voted yes. I can see the use, there are quite a few classical questions that pop up here and there. My feelings were mixed on this though, it's guitar, so why not just post the question in the guitar forum. Same for slide guitar, I don't see the need for a new forum.

But I went with Yes anyways, if the classical players want one, doesn't hurt me.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

If you have a classical forum, then how can you say no when people will eventually ask for a forum dedicated to jazz, blues, heavy metal, country, folk, etc? Before you know it there's a separate forum for every type of music. Personally I think we should shrink the number of forums here, not add to it.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I tend to vote no . . . i may not play classical, but classical issues and questions interest me, but I don't want to have to browse yet another forum to read them

I agree that we already have too many forums, imho.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Dangit! That's a good point... Can I change my vote to no?... :lol:

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I've been playing classical guitar for a little while now but I would say not to bother with it, if you're interested in learning classical guitar, find a teacher and learn it, they should be able to answer any questions you have.

As far as just in general people wanting to talk about classical guitar, i think you can do it in the guitar forums, no need for another one.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I find that most of the issues surrounding Classical guitar are the same as those surrounding anything else - should I learn to read music; what are the best strings/ guitars; how do I amp a classical; what's a good piece for beginners, and so on. For those reasons, I voted "No"

Where we fall down here, IMHO, is that there aren't many lessons concentrating on Classical stuff; and that's down to us to fix.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

I agree with Alan Green, I vote no for a separate forum, but I think it would be nice to have a lesson or two for classical guitar. Nothing too heavy, just easy stuff.

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Now that you brought it up Alan, how do you amp a classical guitar? Or would it be too expensive? I have a student model Raimundo classical.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Another forum probably wouldn't be all that helpful anyway. So much of classical is posture and hand position / technique. You just can't explain that easily in words. A few beginners classical pieces would be nice.

Regarding amplifying a nylon string: Unless you have a bridge mounted transducer in your guitar, the only way to do it and faithfully reproduce your tone is by micing it. Most classical purists wouldn't consider a guitar that has electronics in it. Anything that you put in a guitar might effect the tone. Personally I'm not that picky. I don't mind being able to just plug in but there is something to be said for a well mic'd guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote