Clear all

classical gas-clapton? a rumour

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

is it a rumour that clapton ever recorded this. he doesnt hav an album with it...i read somewhere that he never actaully played the song and its a huge rumour that he had anything to do with it is this true, i do hav a copy of the song that says the artist is clapton but and i hav seen tabs on the internet but ...i hav never herd of the date or time at which he recorded this. the one that everyone thinks is clapton i bleive is actually mason williams but an acoustic recording of it.

$MAX$

(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

http://www.classicalgas.com/record.html

thats proof to back it up to--scroll down to classical gas recorded by other artists you will not find clapton...and that is mason williams official page...

it probably got messed up because when mason recorded the all acoustic version that everyone thinks is erics it was for a movie that eric recorded all the other music for so everyone must hav just assumed it was erics

this is off look at the second recording....wat it says about clapton

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000005MN/002-7472480-9211269?v=glance

The song Classical Gas, by Mason Williams, has been recorded dozens of times. Mason Williams has recorded at least three different versions himself, so it's not too surprising that many people end up buying something different than they expected. Here is a list of some of the more notable versions:

Title: Classical Gas
Performer: Mason Williams
Album: The Mason Williams Phonograph Record
Year: 1968
Comment: This is the original hit you have heard on the radio many times.

Performer: Mason Williams
Album: Handmade
Year: 1970
Comment: This superb acoustic version is my favorite. It also appears on the 1999 "The Story of Us" soundtrack. Many MP3 files circulating the Internet incorrectly credit this version to Eric Clapton.

Performer: Chet Atkins
Album: Street Dreams
Year: 1986
Comment: Features acoustic and electric guitar, violin, and flute - an interesting listen.

Performer: Mason Williams and Mannheim Steamroller
Album: Classical Gas
Year: 1987
Comment: This is the album shown above and is good if you like Mannheim Steamroller, but it does not contain the original Classical Gas recording that most people want.

Performer: Vanessa-Mae
Album: The Violin Player
Year: 1995
Comment: Very nice cover with violin as the lead instrument.

Performer: California Guitar Trio
Album: Pathways
Year: 1998
Comment: Impressive.

Performer: Zoe McCulloch
Album: Gypsy Noodle
Year: 2004
Comment: Electric guitar version by a brilliant young player. This album features several compositions by Mason Williams.

this is crazy news i always thought it was claptons version!!!!

This post was modified 3 years ago by Guitar Noise

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

ive never heard of anything like that. Maybe you can check an official clapton discography?

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i checked the clapton discography its on none of his albums...he for sure never recorded the song...

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

another thing that fueled that rumor over the years is that people mislabled the recording when sharing the file on various P2P programs. thousands of file sharers over the years have spied the "clapton " version and passed it on to others.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yup, it's not true. We talked about this a few months ago actually. People heard some great guitar, and went "clapton" , renamed the file, it spread. Now everyone thinks it's actually Clapton.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

amazing....i only found out about it when i was putting the song on my ipod and i wanted to find out wat album it was on.....so i checked amazon....and what do you no? all these years lol.....crazy

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

we all know its masons song dude.....its just that most people thought that clapton re-recoreded the song into the one you hear most frequently the only acoustic...thas where we were mistaken...it was also masons recording

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I must have been drinking in the wrong pub - I've never, ever, heard any rumour that EC recorded "Classical Gas". To be honest, it's about the last thing that I would expect him to record.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

First time I've ever heard that one too.

Did you know that Paul is dead?

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

HE Is?

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Who's Paul? Should I be at his funeral?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I didn't notice Tommy Emmanuel in that last of people which have played the song. His version is breath taking.

ReplyQuote