Forum

College Gear Recomm...

Notifications
Clear all

College Gear Recommendations

(@duffmaster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

This fall I'm leaving for college, and with some of my grad money I'm looking to buy gear to keep me playing in college. The following things are key:

1. An Acoustic Guitar, with a max price of 600 bucks, altough that number may come down a lot.

2. A nice practice amp with headphone capability.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

You might think of an electric guitar (Squire 51 would be good) Maybe a cheap mixer and a mic(sm 57).
The key is to be creative with what you have :D ken

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

For a practise amp with headphone socket, you could do lot worse than a Micro cube....

http://www.roland.com/products/en/Micro-CUBE/index.html

You might be surprised at the punch something so small can pack. And if you're willing to fork out so much for an acoustic, you might want to think about semi-acoustics or hollowbodies; something you can strum late at night without amplifying, but can play through an amp as well.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Are you living on campus or off? That will make a big difference as to how much gear you can take with you and stuff.

If you're looking at a practice amp how about a V-Amp 2 or something to that effect. Works with headphones and sounds great.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

2. A nice practice amp with headphone capability.
This lead me to something I am curious about. I was told once that tube amps don't come with headphone jacks because they need a load on the system to produce an output. Hmm.. I just did a search and there are mini-headphone tube amps that are low wattage and don't have a speaker, the headphones are intended for this. Personally I have a little gibson epiphone transister amp (~$75). For headphone and low volume practice sessions it works well enough. I would say play all the amps with your personal guitar and see what sounds best.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Estimable Member

From 2 years living in a dorm, with a guitar playing roomate, here was my experience with the amount of gear we managed to use and not take up too much space:

My stuff:
1 Acoustic
1 Electric
15 watt amp that fit perfectly under my bed
Two guitar stands
2 Hardshell cases, stacked, under my bed with my accessories (strings, slide, extra picks, etc) in them.

His Stuff:
1 Acoustic
1 Electric
practice amp
performance amp
looping station
2 hardshell cases

Between us we had 4 guitars, 3 amps, 4 cases and a looping station ready to go at almost all times. We worked it out so figure if that's what each of us had, choose one of our lists and go with it. Be creative with your space management and frankly, don't bring too much other shtuff.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Estimable Member

I don't have much advice as to what equipment you could get, but I will recommend that you keep an ear to the ground about crime in the dorms if you do intend on living on campus. I'd recommend that you bring only what is an absolute necessity. A $600 guitar in the dorms might not be a good idea.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@egdinger)

I was concerned about crime in my dorm, mostly with my cameras more than anything (I have one that's worth $1000+) and I got a good case, 2 good locks, and a cable/chain and chained the case to my bed, then locked the case, never had a problem, though I didn't have any parties or anything in my rooms.

Also guitars out in the open in a dorm are liable to be played by anyone, anytime.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I already have a locking hardshell case. I was planning on getting a bike lock to go through the handle and lock it up to my bed. I like the idea of a semi-hollow though. I love the blues, and I have never owned one. I just need some suggestions on what kind of guitar I'm bringing out there.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

An electric guitar and amp software should do. Noone's going to steal your software. :)

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

good case, 2 good locks, and a cable/chain and chained the case to my bed, then locked the case, never had a problem, though I didn't have any parties or anything in my rooms.

That's a great idea locking the guitar case and then locking the case to your bed, or something else that cannot be moved easily. Also, a great idea would be NO PARTIES IN YOUR ROOM!

I was also thinking that a $500 acoustic guitar in a dorm room would make me nervous. I would probably spend about $250-$300 for a nice solid top.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Inexpensive electric + inexpensive small amp with a headphone jack.

And nice 'phones. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Since you said an acoustic, I would suggest getting a cheap package deal like -

Epiphone A/E Pack

or

Dean A/E Pack

Both packs are for 200 $ and won't really hurt you. Comes with amp and other accessories as well. I know you are no beginner but you won't run a risk of damaging this type of guitar (and later feeling bad about it). Still, keep it safe.

Good Luck for your college.

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I already have a Yamaha Acoustic. FG700S, cost 200 dollars new. I was looking for something nice, gig quality, as I'm hoping to continue playing with the Double D Experience once in college.

Now I wish I pounced faster on Bishes V-Amp2

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Acoustics in that price range I'd suggest looking at Seagull's or Blueridges. As far as anything electric I don't know, but my Yamaha is pretty nice.

ReplyQuote