Clear all

Combo, or Half Cab?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@screamoguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i want to start playing bigger show so i want to buy a bigger amp. im deciding between a marshell jcm200-dsl401( http://www.marshallamps.com/images/products/dsl/dsl401unit.html ) or the marshell the jcm100-dsl100( http://www.marshallamps.com/images/products/dsl/dsl100unit.html ) with the 1960A/B Slanted cab( http://www.marshallamps.com/images/products/cabinets/1960unit.html)what do you think?

Hi, Im mike

"I dont know what world war III will be fought with, but world war IV will be fought with sticks and stones" -Albert Einstien

(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

if u have the cash i would get the head and cabinet hands down over the combo. for starters the head has el34 tubes, instead of el84. el34 is pure marshall sound. just remember the thing may get a lil loud, altho the combo is decently loud itself too.

before you do just go out and buy this tho, id suggest u look into vintage marshalls as well, such as the classic jcm800 and the old school plexis. jcm800 is THEE marshall for hard rock.

ReplyQuote
(@screamoguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the advice :)

Hi, Im mike

"I dont know what world war III will be fought with, but world war IV will be fought with sticks and stones" -Albert Einstien

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

jcm800 :shock: :shock: :shock:

those amps make me shiver every time I hear them. Honestly, you cannot get any better for a rockin tone. They are pricey, but oh man, they are great.

Also check out Rivera combos, specifically the Quiena. Great amp.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@screamoguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i will, thanks man.

Hi, Im mike

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

i personally just put a crate gt 212 on top of a behringer 4x12 cab. now thats some tone. It sounds like a marshall but with a good clean channel. 8) alltogether it cost me a bit over 1000 cdn.
good to know im not the only screamo fan around here, too :wink:

EDIT: the gt 212 is a solid state combo amp... not a tube. it weigs approx. 50 lbs, and i cant get it past 5 without people outside our sound proofed jam space complaining. (space is in a big concrete building with insulated inside walls, steel door, and no windows... so its LOUD. i wear ear plugs to practice sometimes.)

its honestly the best 600 bucks ive ever spent. and although the behringer cab is made of cheap particleboard and the wheels broke, it was cheap too, and sounds real nice.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The 401 is a 1x12 40 watt combo. 40 watts can be pretty loud (louder that 40 watts solid state some people say), but the DSL100 is 100 watts. I guess it depends on how big of a place you're going to play. 100 watts with 4x12s will really scream, but then again you might get a second 1x12 cab for the 401 if you needed more volume.

How large are the venues you're going to play?

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

given the same tone, I'd go with the combo. It is easier to lug around than a head and cabinet. But then again, I'm getting old.

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote