Clear all

Computer NERD needed

31 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I want to change how I organize my music on my PC.
Currently I have a folder eg Beatles then all their albums in that folder.

I want to rename the individual folders,

From "Help" to "Beatle The - Help"
From "Let It Be" to "Beatles - The Let It Be" etc etc...

Any easy way to do this, without having to do each folder individually?

Thanks
Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

there are probably several dozen programs out there that will let you do this, media monkey is the one I use.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Assuming that you have Windows, you can easily do it. First get yourself a decent text editor - I use Notepad++ (freeware and very good).
Now open the editor and type the following:

move [drive:][old_path] [drive:][new_path]

for each of the folders that you want to rename
e.g.
move D:Help "D:Beatles The - Help"
move "D:Let It Be" "D:Beatles - The Let It Be"
move "D:Hey Joe" "D:NewDirectoryJimi Hendrix - Hey Joe"

The quotation marks are needed only where the path name has spaces in it. You can also move the directory, as in the last example.

When you have listed all of the directories to rename, save the file as something like "rename.bat" - the .bat suffix is important.
You just need to, then, execute the file. You do this from, either, the "CMD" DOS window or you can open the windows explorer (or other file manager, if you have one) and double click on the .bat file. Hey, Presto all done.

You could also get yourself the freeware file manager "FreeCommander", which has a multi-rename function, which, sadly, does not allow the directory to be moved, just renamed.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

As a matter of fact, media monkey sorts the files into directories, renaming both as you see fit. So do the dozens of other programs I mentioned. It isn't just a play list. I use it. Read my post. I know the difference between a playlist and renaming files.

from the media monkey website:

Automatically organize and rename files on your hard drive into a logical hierarchy. Instead of storing your files haphazardly all over your hard drive, MediaMonkey's auto-organizer can organize them into folders and filenames of your choice based on attributes such as artist, album, track title and track number.

If you need to organize a music collection exceeding 10,000 files, MediaMonkey is the music organizer for you.

*************************'

Just in case you want to know who you are dealing with next time you suggest I might be uh....wrong :twisted: ......

I earn money to feed my guitar habit by fixing the un-fixable computer and IT problems for a mid size law firm. Before that I did the same nationwide for AT&T Wireless. Before that I managed a large group of Cisco Engineers that helped to rollout the Sprint Nextel push to talk feature. I worked on the initial implementation of VoIP. Currently I have staff that report to me and feed me the impossible things to fix every day and I fix them....quickly. I consult with or fly to other offices nationwide to solve their problems too. I fix security issues, dead PCs, unrecoverable hard drives, non-bootable systems, remove malware and spyware, LANS, WANS and toaster ovens and bring laptops back from the dead. I was asked an interview question once "What do you do when you come across an IT problem you can't solve?" My response was "As soon as I come across one I'll let you know." At AT&T my boss joked that my business card should show my name and job title as "Oh sh*t we better get Nick" because those words always seemed to go together. I'm working on my CISSP now.

Just in case you want to know.

Keep in mind I view work as prostitution. I'd rather be elsewhere playing guitar, so work just gets to use my body and mind as long as they give me money. Sometimes it feels exactly like it :D

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Nick Thanks,
Just what I needed... I downloaded the FREE version had a play with it (liked it better than Win Amp) and went back and upgraded to Pro..

Greybeard,
Thanks also. But that looks a bit complex for me :lol:
My pc skills are only marginally better than my guitar skills! :note1: :note2: :note1: :note2: :note2: :note2: :note1:

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

I learned something today. Thanks Nick. Downloading now.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

MM won't play iTunes-purchased songs, will it? (I mean the regular DRM'd ones.)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I was going to suggest that your card should say "Nick: IT Services with Attitude" But then realized that would twice redundant. :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Speaking of quad...I think I accidentally got a quad shot in my coffee this morning.... :oops:

If that came off as anything other than completely egotistical and self important my apologies. I only meant to say that mere mortals shouldn't challenge me, lest I decide to hack into your kitchen appliances and ruin your day. Sorry if any lesser beings took offense. :D

Not hard at all? Sheesh, don't tell the people that pay me good money to fix things. I think before you judge the difficulty of what I do you need to walk a mile in my binary shoes...and I forgot to include LANs, WANs, Servers and PBXs in my original rant.

It's all clear to me now. When I was a kid we didn't have computers so that's why I was forced to do drugs. If only I'd known that would've saved me years of therapy, not to mention incarceration.

I'm glad you liked MM. I've got the gold version too.

I do believe there is an iTunes plugin for MM, but you'd have to check that out yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Only iTunes (or iPod) will play iTunes' DRM songs. Legally.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

A lot of the labels are removing the requirement for DRM. You can "upgrade" to remove it through the iTunes store (and get a better quality bit rate) and many new songs can be bought without it.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Not to worry, Master Nick.
I take for granted that you know what you're talking about.
I expect nothing short of perfection from Administrators/Moderators here.
Anything short of that would be very disappointing.
So far, you (plural) have not disappointed me. (I can't speak for everyone though.)
Perfection is hard to live up to.
Since, it is inevitable, at some point in the future you'll screw up, know that I forgive you in advance.

Your humble grasshopper,
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

A lot of the labels are removing the requirement for DRM. You can "upgrade" to remove it through the iTunes store (and get a better quality bit rate) and many new songs can be bought without it.

Yep, I'm buying everything I can from Amazon now. Their albums are $1 cheaper and they are DRM-free. I still use iTunes for my player and iPod manager and Amazon's downloader automatically imports the mp3s into iTunes, so it's just as seamless as buying from Apple.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Yep, I'm buying everything I can from Amazon now. Their albums are $1 cheaper and they are DRM-free. I still use iTunes for my player and iPod manager and Amazon's downloader automatically imports the mp3s into iTunes, so it's just as seamless as buying from Apple.

Thanks for the tip, but sadly they don't offer any of the albums I'm currently thinking about buying. Guess I'll stick with iTunes for now. It's not that bad though, and despite being clunky, it does a fairly good job of keeping things organized. Don't see much reason to use Monkey Media for that matter.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Not hard at all? Sheesh, don't tell the people that pay me good money to fix things. I think before you judge the difficulty of what I do you need to walk a mile in my binary shoes...and I forgot to include LANs, WANs, Servers and PBXs in my original rant.

It's all clear to me now. When I was a kid we didn't have computers so that's why I was forced to do drugs. If only I'd known that would've saved me years of therapy, not to mention incarceration.

Nick, I can relate. I'm the senior software architect for an ERP software package tailored to the food distribution industry. Our clients range in size from $50M to $1.5B in annual revenue. You can always count on some unique (read bizarre)business process at a client. And there will always be the the knucklehead who will chime in with, "I've built routines at home to perform this function in Access; Excel; Quicken; etc., and it was easy. Why are you charging me so much to do the same thing in your software?"

I want to tell them its for all the Black Magic and Vodoo supplies! :twisted:

/dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3