Notifications
Clear all

Computer NERD needed

31 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've actually done something similar to the original, about 4-5 years ago. One of the teams was in a Friday afternoon panic and had to modify thousands of folders' names. It was so big that they were able to solicate volunteers to stay and finish. A dozen people facing 4-6 hours of work at 3:30 on a Friday. No-one asked me about anything as I was the database guy. :roll:

Anyhow, I just wrote a quick little script that can run as a VBS file on servers back then. (Not sure if still can) Just write a nested loop that goes though each subfolder in the parent folder you specify, and rename that folder to something like newname = <parentfoldername> & " _ " & <currentfoldername>. If so inclined and want to play around, the item you're looking for in Google would me Microsoft's File System Object. (or, FileSystemObject all one word) . It was part of the old ASP bag of tricks, but was used in standard desk top apps too. I don't remember ever having to include the whole package in an install......but I can't remember much these days.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Oh, man, how many times have I been faced with telling a customer "Yes, we know it's not what you want, but it's what you ordered".

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hey, looks like we're all computer 'experts'. :D

I've been working with PCs for 20 years, pretty much since they first came out. I've been building my own (too many to count now - but it's only a simple assembly job anyway) for something like 10 or 15 years. And I used to run my own 'Computer Consultancy' which among other things involved writing software, training people to use packages they'd bought but couldn't understand etc. Of course, back in those days all you needed was a bit of nerve and the smarts to read a manual overnight and then go back the next day and put the knowledge into practice.... not so easy now...

Now, I'm simply experienced enough to know that I know NOTHING about modern computing. These days with computing you need to run flat out just to stay in the same place. I'll take Nick's word on computing any day. I'm strictly an Ex-Expert, in the nursing home rocking chair of the computer world... :wink:

Anybody want to hear all about my first PC? The one that had no hard drive, just a 360k floppy to run everything from, no audio, just one colour on the screen, no Windows..? Anybody? No... I didn't think so... :mrgreen:

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

A lot of the labels are removing the requirement for DRM. You can "upgrade" to remove it through the iTunes store (and get a better quality bit rate) and many new songs can be bought without it.

Yep, I'm buying everything I can from Amazon now. Their albums are $1 cheaper and they are DRM-free. I still use iTunes for my player and iPod manager and Amazon's downloader automatically imports the mp3s into iTunes, so it's just as seamless as buying from Apple.

Thanks for the tip, but sadly they don't offer any of the albums I'm currently thinking about buying. Guess I'll stick with iTunes for now. It's not that bad though, and despite being clunky, it does a fairly good job of keeping things organized. Don't see much reason to use Monkey Media for that matter.

Yeah, it's not Amazon or Apple or any of the other vendors that are requiring DRM it's the record labels. And if a certain label wants DRM on their music then the vendor either complies or they don't get to sell that music.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

What's computers eh ?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

What's computers eh ?
You're forgetting that I've been to Delhi :D :D :D :D

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Kool. When did you come ?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I was there in Nov 2006, on the way to the Andaman & Nicobar Islands. We had planned to got straight on to Port Blair, but the lure of the Taj Mahal was too much... 8)
I saw many, many, many computers - almost as many as in Thailand :shock:

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Before that I did the same nationwide for AT&T Wireless.
I work at a similar place, but my job is to keep the Ericsson, Nortel, Alcatel, Fujitsu, Etc. stuff working. Keeping laptops usable is just a side effect of my daily life. :wink:

3 others in my crew are also learning to play guitar. I guess it's a common artistic outlet for us techies.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I was there in Nov 2006, on the way to the Andaman & Nicobar Islands. We had planned to got straight on to Port Blair, but the lure of the Taj Mahal was too much... 8)

Hey, you came to Delhi and didn't even inform me !

Guess, I was a member in Nov'06 (since 1 year). Could have met you and invite you to an Indian dinner... 8)

When are you coming next time ?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Hey, you came to Delhi and didn't even inform me !

Guess, I was a member in Nov'06 (since 1 year). Could have met you and invite you to an Indian dinner... 8)

When are you coming next time ?
I did think of it, but, as I said, we were not planning to stay. We originally wanted to go straight on to Port Blair, but we decided, at the last minute (whilst we were at 30000 feet over somewhere like Turkey or Afghanistan), to stay over and see the Taj Mahal. After that, we did make our way over to Port Blair, via Chennai.

Weren't you living outside of Delhi at that time?

We're going back as soon as we can! Havelock Island was fantastic and the food was even better. This time, though, it's likely that we'll be going to Mumbai and then on to Goa and, maybe Kerala.

We'd also like to see Chennai....... Then there's the Punjab .. & .......So much to see and do, so little time .........

So much to eat............................. :shock:

If we do get back to Delhi, I'll certainly let you know - I'm a sucker for good Indian food. By good, I mean "good", not expensive. We regularly eat from street traders and market shops. We stayed overnight in the Old Bazaar - Chapatis, straight out of the tandoor are almost addictive. I've also got a weakness for thali................

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I don't live exactly in Delhi, but adjacent to it. You would have passed by my city (Faridabad) while going to Agra (and its only 180 kms from here). Who knows your high-levelled bus passed by while I was on my way to college...I really do see those a lot and all of them are invariably going to visit Taj.

But be sure you are getting a lefty guitar, next time you visit. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

Hey Nick you've seen the movie office space?

Did you get the memo?

On-topic - I'm a huge geek and still prefer to buy my CDs physically. Is everyone aware that most digital sales (ie MP3, AAC, WMV) are lossy codecs? They don't sound as good as CD quality. Also, I view the file formats as basically file-format-of-the-month. Next month might be something different (tho mp3 has decent staying power, but lower fidelity). If you transcode from one lossy codec to another, you lose even more. I stick to buying CDs and archiving them in FLAC (lossless). Then I transcode to MP3s for my ipod. But the main archive is lossless and will remain that way. This is something I'm kind of anal about I guess.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Rahul: Is this you on the motorcycle? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klteYv1Uv9A :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Rahul: Is this you on the motorcycle? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klteYv1Uv9A :D

Quite a stuntman !

I actually prefer couch to relax upon. So, I am not that.

But surely would like to ride one of your Harleys. 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3