Clear all

Considering a Trade

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I got bored and put my Epi LP Plus Top with the Seymour Duncan pickups on CL doing some fishing for trades. I've gotten 1/2 dozen responses, but three of them stick out.

#1: 2005 Gibson SG Special Faded. The entry level USA SG that sells for $550 or so.
#2: Unknown year model Ibanez JS100 with stock "Axis 1&2" pickups with coil tap and floyd rose. I think these went for $700-$800, but I don't know the year.
#3: Epiphone LP gold Top with P-90's. I'm pretty sure these were being sold by the boat load last year for $399.

I'm mostly interested in the SG Special and the Ibanez. I don't do any shredding, but it would be nice to have a more aggressive guitar in the stable again. Then again, an SG would fit my Classic Rock playing nicely. I have no idea about the quality of the SG specials verses the standards. I've always thought it was the cheaper finish, but what do I know?

Any thoughts?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Well.... I wouldn't ever get another guitar with a locking system, drove me nuts! :lol: You might not feel the same of course

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I had a 04-05 Ibanez GC "exclusive" that was about $400 for a little while. I flipped it towards a MIM Strat which was a big mistake because of the twisted neck I didn't know enough about at the time to avoid. It was new, too. At any rate, I got along with it just fine after a while.

I then had an ESP LTD from the 90's that was getting older and older and eventually became part of a trade for my USA Strat last year, which was not a mistake. :D :D I got on well with it as well, but some electrical issues I never attended to kind of made me not pick it up so much near the end.

The one I didn't like was the one i still have. The floyd rose discovery series that I bought as a MF-SDOTD back in '07. It's a miserable system, the strings are $13 a set and it came equipped with only a volume knob. I could not get rid of it for $50, so I put some Guitar Fetish P90s on it along with a tone knob/POT/CAP and she screams away some really good Blues tones. While the guitar is an absolute pain to get and keep in tune from week to week, it easily whups the rest of the stable when it comes to playability after being set up. It looks like heck and I did a butcher job on the pick-guard at best, but it sure does play well. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So, I guess I'm 2 for 3 on the PITA factor for these locking systems. That's 1 better than I am on the Strat trem system. :?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

American Deluxe strats apparently have a rolling nut now to stop dives going out of tune - well I am sure you can't go "van halen" crazy, but it wouldn't bother me. I'm not a big whammy bar guy anyway and to be honest when someone says "Hey man lets jam" - I wanna say "Just a minute while I tune" rather than "Wait ten minutes I've got to get an allen wrench out, unlock one lot of heads, tune two strings, lock it to find its gone out of tune again .. once in tune I will try to get the next two in tune and then my two low strings will be out again...................."

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I would get the goldtop with P90's... but thats only becouse I have a thing for Goldtops with P90's. :D As for a trade, I belive your LP would have a much higher street price then the GT though.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I do like P90s, but I can always change out pickups on mine if I felt that strong of a desire for an LP with them. Maybe even go 10-ways to crazy and get those PRail numbers from Seymour Duncan and complete it with the signal splitting POTs to get that HB-P90-SC trifecta thing going. It'd be a fun project..... Hmmmmmm

Roy

ReplyQuote