Clear all

Contact with your heroes?

23 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I realize we all have different heroes ....... but has anyone corresponded with their musical heores? I realize we all have heroes with different levels of fame. Just curious.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I never have but my hero, Kurt Cobain, is no longer with us.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

That would make things difficult I suppose.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Heck yea I talk to myself everyday...sometimes I even respond

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

derekslide was my musical hero - got quite a few messages from him :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Check out the Fur Peace Ranch guitar camps. I got to go for my fiftieth birthday. I got to do a workshop with G. E. Smith, and met Jorma Kaukonen and David Lindley. It's a good place to meet and learn from some guitar heroes.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Heck yea I talk to myself everyday...sometimes I even respond
:lol: Yeah, I'm a legend in my own mind too.

Most cool everyone ........ I was just wondering cause I'm a big Blue Oyster Cult fan and right now I got more cow bell in my in box. :mrgreen:

Has anyone heard of Blue Coupe? It is the origional BOC drummer and bassist on drums and guitar and the origional bass player from The Alice Cooper Group on bass. All of these guys were involved in a lot of their bands song writing. I asked a question and got a warm response and lots of advice and good wishes. This song had a Grammy nomination. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85L1vekEcvM

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

a few years ago I got involved with playing lap steel and then picked up a pedal steel guitar. the new tunings were exciting and confounding, so I began looking on line for slide guitar forums to discuss and learn these new instruments. at Steel Guitar Forum
I met loads of amazing folks. some real players of the vintage music I was discovering. that music is old cowboy, not the modern country out now. I began discovering artists from the 50's playing really great music. I found a series of DVDs released by the Bear Family (Germany) that featured old country western TV stage shows. I saw clips of Johnny Cash just starting out. very cool. on one show there was a female pedal steel player; Marian Hall. really good and quite unusual, as men typically ruled this instrument.
one day as I was reading a guitar magazine there was an article about this woman player. what a history. I was impressed and posted a review of the article and the DVD on the steel guitar forum.
a few months later I received an email from Marian Hall. she was in her eighties, long retired, but she had read my post and was flattered by my admiration. we wrote back and forth for a few months. she shared some of her stories and playing techniques with me. then the emails stopped.
a few weeks later I got an email from Marian's daughter telling me that Marian passed away . she wrote that Marian enjoyed the correspondence with me and others. I learned that Marian had just learned the computer a month before I wrote about her and really liked getting in touch with her old playmates and her new fans.
here daughter was really nice. she wanted her kids to know about their gramma. I sent her the magazine with the article and a copy of the DVD.
that was the my only close and personal contact with a guitar hero.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@neztok)
Estimable Member

I'd like to hang out with "the winning" Charlie Sheen. I'm sure he has PLENTY of musical friends I could talk to. He won't return my phone calls, though.

ReplyQuote
(@hammer1)
Trusted Member

a few years ago I got involved with playing lap steel and then picked up a pedal steel guitar. the new tunings were exciting and confounding, so I began looking on line for slide guitar forums to discuss and learn these new instruments. at Steel Guitar Forum
I met loads of amazing folks. some real players of the vintage music I was discovering. that music is old cowboy, not the modern country out now. I began discovering artists from the 50's playing really great music. I found a series of DVDs released by the Bear Family (Germany) that featured old country western TV stage shows. I saw clips of Johnny Cash just starting out. very cool. on one show there was a female pedal steel player; Marian Hall. really good and quite unusual, as men typically ruled this instrument.
one day as I was reading a guitar magazine there was an article about this woman player. what a history. I was impressed and posted a review of the article and the DVD on the steel guitar forum.
a few months later I received an email from Marian Hall. she was in her eighties, long retired, but she had read my post and was flattered by my admiration. we wrote back and forth for a few months. she shared some of her stories and playing techniques with me. then the emails stopped.
a few weeks later I got an email from Marian's daughter telling me that Marian passed away . she wrote that Marian enjoyed the correspondence with me and others. I learned that Marian had just learned the computer a month before I wrote about her and really liked getting in touch with her old playmates and her new fans.
here daughter was really nice. she wanted her kids to know about their gramma. I sent her the magazine with the article and a copy of the DVD.
that was the my only close and personal contact with a guitar hero.

Just saw this. That's a great story DB, thanks for sharing it here.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I met Gary Hoey at a store promo thing and chatted with him a bit and then saw him at his gig later that night. I emailed a link on his web site later on to compliment him on the show and such. He responded and we exchanged a couple short emails. That was nice.

Last year, I met Bill Kirchen at a gig and talked for a few minutes in between sets. I asked him about his old trademark Telecaster and he said it had gotten too frail lately. He then reached up on stage and showed me his current "Tele". It was some American brand. By that time, one of the guys from the warm-up act came by and we got talking about it and I forgot the brand (..not G&L), but I remarked that the action looked higher than I thought most pros used. He told me he had to because the neck was starting to twist and he was getting some fret buzz. Sure enough, he played almost his entire gig with the twisted neck off-brand Tele. Now that I think of hit, I think the brand name of the guitar might have escaped him as well. Hard to remember everything, I guess.

It is nice when you bump into people and they are real humans and too full of themselves. Both of these guys seemed very genuine and approachable and personable. I've met a few current (at the time) and former Baseball, Basketball and Football players as well. Most of them seemed alright guys. A couple of them were very big alright guys. they got extra respect. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

That is cool Roy. I love Gary Hoey's guitar playing by the way. Yeah, Albert Bouchard has written me a few times. He sent condolences on our drummer and urged us to continue on to honor Tommy. Very nice. We sent him a link to our cover of (BOC song he wrote) Tattoo Vampire and he said we did a real nice version of it and wants to see more of our stuff. How cool is that?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's too friggin cool, man. Way too cool. I think if Keith Richards saw me doing anything of his, he'd drive straight down from connecticut and b-slap me.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2