Clear all

Cool Little Story

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Just a little storyI thought you all might enjoy.

A former guitar teacher, who is now a good friend has been playing for over 25 years and is a classical trained composer, recently got a bit of a headline back home. He went to berklee, played in bands trying to make it, the whole 9 yards. Doesn't have a naturally commerical sound, so that didn't help. Fast forward like 15 years. After taking a break from the stresses of band projects and just teaching locally for a while, he combined microtonal composition on a fretless guitar (31 notes/octave) with john lee hooker-style slide blues and a single drummer. Definatley different, not at all radio friendly in the pop sense. Its a pretty weird sound, but definately cool if you like slide guitar. Slowly started to catch on locally over time. Then he emails me to say he heard himself on the radio for the first time ever this past week, alongside all the local and national metal bands. METAL/METAL/METAL/blues?/METAL/METAL/METAL :lol:

Needless to say, he was pretty psyched. Sure, lots of stations play local stuff, but it's not easy to get played, you know? Even then, who cares: its the RADIO :)

Just thought you might enjoy it as a testament to perseverance :)
Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Thats an awsome story.

repeat after me

There is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope, there is still hope,

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

that sounds like a pretty interesting sound. think you can point us in the right direction to listen to his stuff?

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

http://www.myspace.com/meantone

He uses a lot of low end, so through PC speakers its not the best, but you get the idea.

"Kick Your A$$" cracks me up.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I always have trouble getting music to play on MySpace, but finally (after about 4 minutes) I got to listen to 2 Hookers A Case O (Beer). Very original, I liked it a lot.

Just a little constructive criticism, he needs to work on his vocals a little, kinda monotone. But the slide guitar was awesome.

It is great your friend is playing such original music. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

I like it. Primus first came to mind when I heard 2 Hookers A Case O (Beer).

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Very good, and definately shades of Primus in there. Primus meets The Stray Cats :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I always have trouble getting music to play on MySpace, but finally (after about 4 minutes) I got to listen to 2 Hookers A Case O (Beer). Very original, I liked it a lot.

Just a little constructive criticism, he needs to work on his vocals a little, kinda monotone. But the slide guitar was awesome.

It is great your friend is playing such original music. 8)

I totally agree, he does tend to have that apprroach. For what its worth, on some of the other tunes (not posted) he does things a bit differently and it's not quite as monotone

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

I like it. Primus first came to mind when I heard 2 Hookers A Case O (Beer).

uhuh. definately. its that crazy rhythm

i can see why they were ona metal radio station mind.

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member

Congrats to your friend!

And I loved the music; original and yet nicely musical!

I liked the vocals too. Those in 2 Hookers A Case O (Beer) remind me of old 70s punk. :D

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

What a cool little story :)

Congrats to him! And it definitly fits better into metal than Blues.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it's hardly blues, but I like it! I've always liked Primus, too. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Another story: A dutch dude, with little to no formal musical training, spends his time working as a mail-deliverer (whatever the word is) for fifteen years or so. All the time he writes music for himself and record it on tape. Two years ago someone somehow received a tape and things started rolling. Right now he's one of the biggest new stars in Holland and has played the largest festivals for tens of thousands of people. He's a barely-decent guitarist, often sings out of tune, his songs often seem to lack any kind of conventional structure and he mixes all kinds of instruments together to form really weird pop-songs.

And I can't get enough it. The band is called SpinVis. It's all Dutch but I still recommend it to everyone. It's amazingly awesome and a huge source of hope and inspiration to amateur musicians like me. Apparantly you can make your own music your own way and get rewarded. If you stay at it and remain patient.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Cool, he has "The Living Room" in there. :D

If I wasn't going trick-or-treatin' with the family I go check him out. Of course, I passed up Alice In Chains tickets because of halloween already!

I'm going to see my buddies band tonight, Train of Thought. Have you heard of them?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Great story, like the music too.....and, what's wrong with momotone? I love Lou Reed, and he's made a 40-year career from monotone.....!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote