Cream Reunion (again)

54 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Rumour has it (Q104.3 calls it a VERY strong possibility) that Cream will be coming to do 3 shows at MSG sometime in the (next year?).

According to 104.3, they've been holding back because Ginger Baker has some fears of some legal problems he might have, however the Government agencies have ensured the band that they would be welcome here, and Baker's legalities are in the past.

As a New Yorker, who just saw Clapton and The WHo at the Garden, I'm VERY excited, to say the least!

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but frankly, I see the Cream reunion as just another bunch of artists eeking every last dime out of the gullible's pocket that they can.

The one thing that makes it slightly less unctuous than the Stones and their Steel Wheelchair tour (or whatever the latest money grubbing event is called) is the mere fact that they haven't played together in however many years.

Whatever happened to bands producing new material and going on tour to build and entertain their fans rather than redoing the same tired show to get just a few million richer?

Maybe I'm the ultimate cynic, but I'd much rather go see a dozen $10 door-fee bands in local bars who actually give a damn about pleasing the audience than paying $120 to see someone doing 30 year old songs for the millionth time without the slightest care about their fans.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I highly doubt the reason Cream is doing this is because of money. Clapton does a tour every year, I'm sure hes very financially secure.

I think they are doing it for music, and because they know that's what ALL Cream fans want to see, a concert with an awesome band, after 30 years, and especially when its a band that has made as much an impact on music and culture as Cream has.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

But it's not the band that made those songs.

That was 40 years ago.

Clapton was a young rising musician experiement with new sounds. Baker was defining a new way of approaching his instrument. Jack Bruce was something no one had seen before.

They were young vibrant artists seeking to define themselves through self expression -- and doing it marvelously. Who could think that only a few years before Clapton was having fights withGiorgui Gomelsky Yardbird's manager about recording "For Your Love" because it wasn't a pure blues tune.

Cream was a coming of age party for 3 inspired, aspiring musicians with ego's as big as their talent.

Whatever this is, it's not that.

It's 3 old men nearing retirement age throughing a nastalgia party for guilible rich kids, 90% of whom weren't even old enough to walk when Cream was recording (if they were born at all).

It's not about the money? Please. It's ONLY about the money. If it was about the music they'd be in the studio recording new material first, then go on tour to promote it.

It's the "pay Ginger's Legal Fee's and pour some money in our bank accounts" tour.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ebuchednezzar)
Trusted Member

Does it really make a difference why they're doing it? Why can't you just go and enjoy the show if you like Cream, and stay home if you don't?

I understand the argument, but don't see why it's important.

"There's no easy ways man," he said. "You gotta learn the hard parts for yourself."

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i wasn't born when cream was in their recording prime, but i do love the music they created. would i go see them? yes i would in a heartbeat. if the zeppelin reformed would i go? hell yes i would. i hate the fact that i missed out on it years ago (i blame my parents for not being old enough to have had me back then lol)

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Oh my gosh, these guys are going to get paid to do what they do for a living? They should be ashamed! :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Oh my gosh, these guys are going to get paid to do what they do for a living? They should be ashamed! :roll:

I don't begrudge anyone whatever money they can get out of the pockets of people willing to pay to hear overproduced theater events billed as rock concerts.

But it saddens me when people who should be able to spot the different between a musical event and a corporate money grab go starry eyed.

Maybe I'm just the ultimate cynic.

ReplyQuote
(@ebuchednezzar)
Trusted Member

I just don't see the problem with Cream reuniting, reasons notwithstanding. As artists, all three members of the band should be free to do whatever they please. If they want to go on a reunion tour, let them. No one is being forced to attend. I didn't think bands that toured were obligated to only do so when promoting new work. If you look at any venue's summer tour list, you'll see that most of the acts that come through have next to nothing to offer in the way of new material. John Fogerty, Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, Steve Miller w/ George Thorogood, etc. Most shows are based around nostalgia; are these all theatrical productions rather than rock concerts?

The only thing that is certain is this: the artists worry about their critics a lot less than critics worry about the artists.

"There's no easy ways man," he said. "You gotta learn the hard parts for yourself."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Actually, from what I've heard, everyone who went to the shows in England loved it patzer. So for whatever reason they are going on tour (still don't agree that it's for money) people are loving it, and the shows were all sold out.

Personally, I'd love to see one of the greatest, innovative Rock bands ever, Rock the Garden, that's just me.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

John Fogerty, Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, Steve Miller w/ George Thorogood, etc. Most shows are based around nostalgia; are these all theatrical productions rather than rock concerts?

A great many of them have become parodies of themselves, yes.

Most anyone worth seeing isn't being sold by ticketmaster.

ReplyQuote
(@ebuchednezzar)
Trusted Member

Parodies of themselves, from the perspective that they were once cutting edge artists that somehow fizzled out. As far as I can tell, that's just about every recording artist ever. Is there anyone that rose up like a comet, and stayed at that apex of creativity until their golden years? I can't think of anyone. Not even Sinatra, Clapton, Berry, King...no one. Performers have a prime, and the lucky ones are able to retain at least enough popularity after that time has passed to continue their careers as performers. I don't understand how just because an act is past its prime, or reuniting that it automatically dismisses the act as a pitiful stunt.

What would you do if you were part of the hottest band on earth 30 years ago, you hadn't played with your bandmates since then, and you were looking towards retirement with a free schedule? I'd bet you'd hit up your buddies for one more round, whether anyone was willing to come to your stunt shows or not.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I don't understand how just because an act is past its prime, or reuniting that it automatically dismisses the act as a pitiful stunt.

How many times have the Who retired now?

What would you do if you were part of the hottest band on earth 30 years ago, you hadn't played with your bandmates since then, and you were looking towards retirement with a free schedule? I'd bet you'd hit up your buddies for one more round, whether anyone was willing to come to your stunt shows or not.

I'd hope I had the grace to go out like that guy from the NY Dolls . .what's his name, Johnson, Johansen? He went on to do something else. He became Buster Poindexter. After that he started doing blues and jazz.

Or go the way of Jeff Beck, forget about reinventing yourself but don't rest on your laurals. Keep putting out good sounding records and keep trying.

Listen to what Gomelsky said about the Stones: "They became what we rebelled against, which was soporific, bland, characterless, repetivive, lifeless music. It's everything we were against in the '50's and '60's with the jazz and blues. We wanted authenticity, where music reflects from the audience, with the audience. They had no business going into the arenas. They're not made for music. . . . Might as well have hired mimes and put a record on."

I don't know. I just hoped Clapton wouldn't let the allure of money turn him into another touring museum of himself. We have enough of those in the rock world.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm not really sure I understand the Clapton comments either, he just released a new album. He's been releasing lots of those.

Cream is on tour because all of their fans wanted it. And it is GREAT for people like me who weren't alive when they were performing to be able to see them, especially when I consider the influence they've had on my own guitar playing, and musical taste in general.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'm not really sure I understand the Clapton comments either, he just released a new album. He's been releasing lots of those.

Exactly, which is why this reunion stuff is distressing.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4