Clear all

David Gilmour Signature ‘Black Strat’!

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, I know what I want for Christmas. Just read about the Gilmour Strat on the GN Blog page. I knew my next guitar was going to be a Strat but never thought it would be a Gilmour sig. Starting to save my loose change now. May even have to dip into the Harley Fund to get this guitar.

Stealing a line from Wayne's World... :note2: I will have it. IT will be mine. :note2:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I wonder what the price will be? Still, I like the sound of the red Strat he used for a couple of decades, complete with the EMG active pickups in it.

Oh, and nothing should ever dip into the Harley fund.........ever. :)

edit: Forgot the smiley.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I wonder what the price will be? Still, I like the sound of the red Strat he used for a couple of decades, complete with the EMG active pickups in it.

Oh, and nothing should ever dip into the Harley fund.........ever. :)

edit: Forgot the smiley.

Dude...I gotta have one of these guitars. I gotta have me a Harley too. What do I do? Do the kids REALLY need to go to college? 8)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Dude...I gotta have one of these guitars. I gotta have me a Harley too. What do I do? Do the kids REALLY need to go to college? 8)

If they really need to, they'll pay for it themselves :D

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

The Strat question is hard. In each case, they're wonderful. Then there's all the stuff between the guitar and the amps, amps not withstanding. I am partial to red though.

Black: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI67mMsl-Dc
Red: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yb-vURVRKw&feature=related

Two different beasts, but both oh so nice. The good thing, is that one can purchase the loaded EMG pick-guard (DG-20 or something like that) for $295. Happy Times. My prize when I learn how to solo and play decent lead.

As far as bike goes, you can have both. Buy someone's mid-life crisis garage decoration. (used, but low milage and often with chrome accessories and other doo-dads.) Buy other than Harley. Wind is wind is wind is wind. I can repeat myself for hours. I love my Harley, but you can be damned sure that if I would not hesitate for a NY minute to ride something else. It ain't what your riding, it's that your riding. Brand snobs are normally the ones that ride to and from the bar and call it a great day of riding. Not me, man. Not me. I long for the day I can get back on it consistently again.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

As far as bike goes, you can have both. Buy someone's mid-life crisis garage decoration. (used, but low milage and often with chrome accessories and other doo-dads.) Buy other than Harley. Wind is wind is wind is wind. I can repeat myself for hours. I love my Harley, but you can be damned sure that if I would not hesitate for a NY minute to ride something else. It ain't what your riding, it's that your riding. Brand snobs are normally the ones that ride to and from the bar and call it a great day of riding. Not me, man. Not me. I long for the day I can get back on it consistently again.

Truer words were never said!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

There's this guy I know on a Dutch guitar forum who is a great Gilmour fan and trust me, when he plays his sound is exactly gilmour. Spot on. And it doesn't matter which of his strats he plays, his squier, USA fender, homebuild strat or his recently purchased vintage fender. If you want his sound, get a strat, a GT8 and Gilmour's fingers. I can try to dig up some samples if people don't believe me.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I can try to dig up some samples if people don't believe me.

You posted one a good while back. Can't remember the thread, except I think we were talking about effects or multi-effects or something. Whatever. It was truly awesome.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'd love to get a copy of David's black Strat. 8) Hope the price isn't too steep.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

There's this guy I know on a Dutch guitar forum who is a great Gilmour fan and trust me, when he plays his sound is exactly gilmour. Spot on. And it doesn't matter which of his strats he plays, his squier, USA fender, homebuild strat or his recently purchased vintage fender. If you want his sound, get a strat, a GT8 and Gilmour's fingers. I can try to dig up some samples if people don't believe me.

I know I'll never be able to play like Gilmour. Its all in the hands/ears for sure. But hey, if your going to get a strat, a David Gilmour sig would be a nice one to own!!

Dan, my understanding is that they are making two versions. ....wait, I'll go to the site and get the details....
Ok, this is from David's site...
There are two models:
• The 'Relic', which replicates the 'Black Strat' as it is today with aged parts and worn paint, plus all the wear and tear of David's heavily-used 30-year-old guitar – with no backplate.
• The 'New Old Stock' model, which replicates the 'Black Strat' as it is now – but with all-new parts, 'new' paint finish and an additional white plastic backplate. The NOS model should be found at a lower retail price than the 'Relic'.

We don't have a confirmed Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price yet, but it won't be $24,000 (the price of the recent Eric Clapton limited 'Blackie' model), nor is it intended to be a limited edition. However its manufacture does take some time, so it may be hard to find at first – hopefully only for a short while.

In the two years that the guitar has been in discussion, a number of prototypes have been produced, and the final version was only approved when David was happy that all elements combined to make a sound that was as close as possible to his own guitar's. The 'Black Strat' comes in a hard case (by G&G) stuffed with extras: Phil Taylor's 'Black Strat' book, a set of GHS David Gilmour Boomer strings, a copy of the 3-disc version of Live In Gdańsk, a cable by Evidence Audio, a deluxe Fender leather strap, and a David Gilmour plectrum. The interior of the case is a plush green, including embroidered David Gilmour and Fender Custom Shop logos.
So it looks like one will be somewhat affordable. I'd look for the New Old Stock to be around 6k. They will probably replicate every single scratch DG has in his!!

ReplyQuote