Clear all

Desirable guitar effects.

21 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@doublee)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of choosing a thesis topic for my masters degree program in electrical engineering (signal processing). I would like to create a new or enhanced guitar effect. That being said, while I do play the guitar I am far from being an expert, and I know very little about guitar effects (I play a round neck Dobro). I would like your opinions on a few desirable guitar effects I could design - or quantifiable improvements to effects that currently exist. When I say guitar effect I want to try to be as general as possible, any electronic device that in any way alters the sound produced by the instrument is a feasible option for me. I'm looking for something that hasn't been done before so originality is vital to my success as an engineer.

Thank you for any suggestions.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

this is quite a challenge. if you are thinking of doing the ADC->DSP->DAC type thing, I recommend you borrow one of the multi-EFX units on the market -- even a $100 unit does a lot these days, and get to know the current state of the EFX-as-a-commodity market. there also are a fair number of white papers and tech articles written on this topic. I recall seeing the first of these over 20 years ago. also recommend reading up on modeling EFX and modeling guitars (e.g., Line6 guitars and EFX). might give you some ideas. you may have a very difficult time coming up with a new or novel effect that is compelling. my guess is that enhancement and/or alternative (usually cheaper) implementations are more likely a reasonable amount of work for an M-thesis.

something that might be novel is a new method of inputting commands or controlling (modulating) an effect. these days we can get foot controllers, hand controllers, mouth modulators, proximity devices (wave a hand), but is there something new?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@doublee)
Topic starter  

Thanks gnease,

Do you know of any effects that are controlled by the notes you play? For example - when you get to a certain part of a song the controller detects a specific patter of notes then - boom, your effect is on. That could be an interesting project, if it doesn't already exist. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

there are examples of similar behavior, but not exactly as you describe: envelope filters (envelope followers) react to the content of the playing (amplitude and "history"), but not necessarily the pattern of attacks.

Roger Linn has created a number of rhythm-based EFX. might try a search on his work -- in particular, the Linn drum machine, the Adrenalinn guitar stompbox.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i don't know if one of these exists, but hooking up the guitar to a light machine that changes color depending on the pitch and intensity based on the volume would be something cool. some people actually hear tones as colors, so if you could find one of them and have them tell you what different colors sound like, then you'd really be creating something worthwhile.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

search light organ and color organ -- some versions are similar to what Jason describes

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Speaking of color, embedding lights (diodes) into the fret board that could be programmed to show a beginner what fret at what string to play a song would be a cool idea.
I haven't played Guitar Hero yet, but from what I've heard, it sounds like this idea would be the next step in teaching someone how to play a real guitar.

The program could vary the speed, and loop over certain sections of the song for the player to practice.
I think that would be a great project for a potential huge market.
Might as well go for the market while you're going for your Masters.

The color of the lights could correspond to notes. That would be limited to standard tuning I suppose. Just thinking off the top of my head . . .

Or another idea would be to design a guitar with no strings . . . (I know . . . sacrilege)
but instead a touch sensitive fretboard that corresponds to notes . . .
Like the guitar, distance from the bridge correlates to the pitch of the note . . .
and non-incremental so you could do slides.
The line (no longer a string) is activated by the strumming or picking hand, when the line is touched, the line is activated and the note is sounded by some synthesizer . . .
pull-offs and hammer-ons ??? I'd have to think about how to simulate those.

But if you want just suggestions for what sound effects I would like, umm . . .
mandolin, ukulele, banjo to name a few . . .
I suppose violin, viola, or cello if possible . . . just not a saxophone.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Speaking of color, embedding lights (diodes) into the fret board that could be programmed to show a beginner what fret at what string to play a song would be a cool idea.
I haven't played Guitar Hero yet, but from what I've heard, it sounds like this idea would be the next step in teaching someone how to play a real guitar.

The program could vary the speed, and loop over certain sections of the song for the player to practice.
I think that would be a great project for a potential huge market.
Might as well go for the market while you're going for your Masters.

The color of the lights could correspond to notes. That would be limited to standard tuning I suppose. Just thinking off the top of my head . . .

KR2

Great idea!! ...ummm .. it didn't sell well I guess cause I haven't seen them around for a while. I guess they are still out there though.
http://www.fretlight.com/guitars.html

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Great idea!! ...ummm .. it didn't sell well I guess cause I haven't seen them around for a while. I guess they are still out there though.
Not such a great idea then. :oops:
But that's exactly what I was thinkin' . . . only with different colored lights.

And as to my other idea, here's a guy who is proposing it for his thesis
http://innovexpo.itee.uq.edu.au/2003/projects/s354320/thesis.pdf

Oh well,
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I knew I'd seen those lighted fretboards somewhere.

Hey, about seven or eight years ago there was a lot of joking about a light-up guitar slide on Big Road Blues. There's something you could do.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yamaha makes them. EZ-guitar or something like that. I think it's a terrible idea, it only provides further incentive for people not to spend the tiny bit of effort into understanding what they do. There's already way too much the tendency among guitarists to go for the easiest instead of the most musical route and things like this only make it worse. You dont need light to hear what you're doing, you need ears. Trained ones, preferrably.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like the basic idea is a "feedback" pedal. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Sounds like the basic idea is a "feedback" pedal. :lol:

Quite so !

A pedal which instantly judges your performance and tells you the areas of improvement and ways to achieve them (eg. playing [insert name] scale/chord or doing a particular run).

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'd rather have a pedal that would make me play great than one that would tell me what was wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

A pedal that would make you play great? How bout one that delivers an electric shock with every bum note? :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2