Dispelling a Myth

67 Posts
32 Users
0 Likes
10.6 K Views
(@streetlethal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Great site, and as a newbie I thought it appropriate to post something controversial(ish) to get a few people hot under the collar....

What really bugs me is when I hear people say 'ahhh Vai, yeah he was taught to play by Joe Satriani...'. While it's true that the young Vai received some tuition from Satch, I can't help but feel that this somehow elevates Mr Satriani to some godlike status that in my humble opinion is wholly undeserved. Let's not forget he also tutored Kirk Hammet, and we've been suffering those horrific wah wah solo's ever since.

Why does everyone think Satriani is such an amazing player? Ok, he is technically proficient, but then so are a bazillion other players. He's inventive, ummm sure, what did he invent exactly? Oh yeah he does that thing where he dips the whammy and pinches harmonics that sound all spaceshippy and stuff.....please.
He has some cool songs, and oh did I mention he taught Steve Vai?

The truth is he can't use a pick when playing at speed to any great length, he relies on hammer ons, he uses that whammy bar way too much, and he has this mock humility about him in interviews that I just find sickening. I think he is one of the most overrated players I have heard.

For real humility, take Dann Huff or Vinnie Moore, those guys are so modest and humble, and genuinely phenomenal players, whom to my mind would play circles round Satriani any day. I'm sure there are many of you who could name a long list of great players who barely get a mention in any guitar publication, yet are equally if not more deserving of recognition.

Yngwie Malmsteen (what's the deal with old podgy is he on steroids- answers on a postcard?) was once quoted in Total Guitar as saying Joe sounds 'quite studied and mechanical' and I have to say I agreed with the arrogant Swede. Not one of Joe's 'dirty' amp tones have ever got my juices flowing, they still sound clean and polite no matter how much the gain, what happened to good old fashioned distortion? I've never seen him play anything but an Ibanez with a 1 micrometre action, and he always looks so wooden when he plays like his head will fall off if he hits a bum note.

Joe quipped back with saying 'it's widely known in musical circles Yngwie is just an (insert your own childish profanity here)'

Well we all knew that Joe, but what about his playing?? Far superior to yours I'm afraid!!!

Then not many years later I see the G3 line-up with Satch/Vai and whoelse but Yngwie himself :D
I take it they kissed and made up, or at least Joe made an obscene amount of ca$h for the gig, so much so he was able to endure the "(quoted childish profanity again)" through a tour. Such integrity.

Vai was great, Malmsteen was typically flamboyant and Joe was just, bloody boring to be quite honest.

Am I the only one who isn't Joe's greatest fan?

Matt

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Who does Joe Satriani play for? I'm not being cute, I seriously don't know who he is. Who is Dann Huff, Vinnie Moore and Yngwie Malmsteen? Never heard of them either.

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

i dont think many people here really care about this myth ur dispelling. These guitarist are shreders and there music is uhh iffy not really my thing they whole schtick is based on speed.

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@streetlethal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Who does Joe Satriani play for? I'm not being cute, I seriously don't know who he is. Who is Dann Huff, Vinnie Moore and Yngwie Malmsteen? Never heard of them either.
Then you either lived on Mars for many years, or you are quite young. Presuming the latter, my post would mean nothing to you, but that shouldn't deter you from checking them out.

As a postscript, I should probably concede that my post would have had more relevance 6 or 7 years ago, but for those of you who were born prior to 1985 it may 'strike a chord'.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@streetlethal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i dont think many people here really care about this myth ur dispelling. These guitarist are shreders and there music is uhh iffy not really my thing they whole schtick is based on speed.

So because they could play fast it really isn't your thing? How narrow minded. But perhaps not everyone will share your view.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

dude u gotta admit its not really the most pleasing music to listen to and i was born in 1986 and know what ur talking about so dont say that either

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@streetlethal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

dude u gotta admit its not really the most pleasing music to listen to and i was born in 1986 and know what ur talking about so dont say that either

On the contrary I find it very pleasing to listen to someone who has a command of the finest instrument known to man- 'dude'.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i think satch is interesting.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Evidently you are the only one who isn't his greatest fan. As for me, he can use all the hammer ons and whammy bars he wants. It's cool if you're not into it, but he's got his own distinctive style and I dig it. If you can listen to "Always With Me, Always With You" without being affected, then you're probably dead. You're only moving and typing because you're full of the POWER OF METAL. And that's why Satriani doesn't do it for you; that's not his style. I think he's one of the most exciting guitarists around. I also disagree strongly that Yngwie's playing is better. Maybe faster, but a lot duller as well.

ReplyQuote
(@streetlethal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

. If you can listen to "Always With Me, Always With You" without being affected, then you're probably dead. You're only moving and typing because you're full of the POWER OF METAL. And that's why Satriani doesn't do it for you; that's not his style. I think he's one of the most exciting guitarists around. I also disagree strongly that Yngwie's playing is better. Maybe faster, but a lot duller as well.

No Paul, you misunderstand. It's not about wether he plays hard or fast a lot of Yngwie's playing is slow, subtle and with awesome feel and emotion. I think When Joe Satriani was playing Always with me, Always with you, he sounds dead, it's too contrived, too wooden, every note dubbed to perfection. I'm glad it floats your boat, but it remains to be seen wether everyone shares your view.

By the way the likeness of your photo to the man concerned is uncanny, though Im sure Joe doesn't wear glasses.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@mad_guitarist)
Eminent Member

imo, i think that all the "shredders" you mentioned have become boring. they might have been cool if i had been born 10 years earlier and never had heard the thousands of clones that they spawned, but w/e. to each his own.

I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play.

— Ozzy Osbourne

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Then you either lived on Mars for many years, or you are quite young. Presuming the latter, my post would mean nothing to you, but that shouldn't deter you from checking them out.

As a postscript, I should probably concede that my post would have had more relevance 6 or 7 years ago, but for those of you who were born prior to 1985 it may 'strike a chord'.

I'm 53 years old (that's born way before 1985 I believe) and I've never heard of any of these guys or gals (Yngwie ?). I don't live on Mars I live in the hamlet of Ivor Virginia. I enjoy a wide variety of music, but I play bluegrass gospel.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

chuck 'em an acoustic, no effects and no amp.

then maybe we could actually tell if they could play a bit.

i was born in 1966. Grew up listening to all sorts. But i am at a loss to explain why these guys are considered Gods by some people....I have hardly heard of 'em either.

Shredding. Something my mum's dog does with old newspaper, i believe :lol:

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i like satch and yngwie, i don't think either one of them are as good as vai, but if i had to pick between the 2 of them it would be yngwie.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Great site, and as a newbie I thought it appropriate to post something controversial(ish) to get a few people hot under the collar....

You might have to live on Mars to consider this discussion "controversial" and it's obvious from your own replies that you're only interested in getting "a few people hot under the collar" and not in having a discussion.

Discussion is what this board is about, so let's work on it before a Mod decides to pull this thread.

Threads of this sort don't do much besides expound on things that people already believe in. Most guitarists, including the ones you mention, and not to mention most people, get tired of them pretty fast. Not everyone plays fast. Not everyone listens to the same stuff. These days that's more true than ever.

But it's not an new argument. You can easily imagine folks in the Middle Ages sitting around a fire arguing who (of their favorites naturally) was the better lute player and who wasn't, again usually someone that someone else like but the person who didn't thought himself (almost always himself) superior for not liking.

Everyone has his or her own tastes and the cool thing is that they often change during the course of one's lifetime. Use a discussion like this to promote something and help people learn and not to turn them off from good music by being negative about the stuff they like.

Peace

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5