Dispelling a Myth

67 Posts
32 Users
0 Likes
10.5 K Views
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

So Street or anybody,

How about trying to quantify the better guitarist?

Should it be a popularity contest? Album sales? Respect of the guitar playing community? Speed?

That would be an interesting test.

Maybe a 1-5 star rating per category.

Then again, is there even a point? If you don't like the guitarist you vote with your wallet and don't by their CDs.

Why is it we need to convince others that one is better than the other?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I think it would be hard to judge how good a guitarist is based on popularity, or album sales. Nevermind was ranked #1 on Much More Music's top albums of all time but most people don't think Kurt did anything outstanding as a guitarist. But it does show that how good an album sounds, or how well it sells, isn't based just on the guitarist. Most of them do play in bands after all.

For example, I like the song Van Halen - I Can't Stop Loving You, but in that song, the drumming stands out more to me than the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Ok, so let's scratch popularity and album sales.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

How about grammys? There's an objective standard!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

How about grammys? There's an objective standard!

So much for a serious conversation! :wink:

It seems that there are many conflicting reasons for even starting topics like this - quite often, at the heart, is a need to either build up or confirm something "I" like or to just snipe at something that others like. Either way, it rarely comes from a genuine desire to converse (and if you don't believe that, start reading this thread again).

But sometimes something magical happens and conversations do take place and people's interests are piqued and music is listened to in a new light. Pick any thread such as this one and read it carefully from start to finish and you'll see this happen from time to time.

The more one learns about music, the more one finds things to appreciate in any song. That doesn't mean that every song is a treasure (I think I may be the only one in the universe who thinks that way), but it does mean that if you want to learn something, even if it's what not to do in certain situations, you always can. If you don't, then you won't.

Quantifying a guitarist, however you want to do it, will still be subjective. Art is supposed to be objective. I think that Kurt Vonnegut puts it pretty well with this statement from graphic artist Saul Steinberg:

"What you respond to in any work of art is the artist's struggle against his or her limitations."

Since every musician has different abilities (or "limitations" if you care to think of them in that way), we can easily enjoy one's speed, another's soul, and another's sense of rhythm. And still find others in the same modes that leave us cold for some reason.

The coolest part about this, as I mentioned before, is how our own criteria change as we grow as musicians. You couldn't pay me to listen to a Beach Boys album when I was younger but today Brain Wilson's Smile is, to me obviously, as fine an example of both songwriting and arranging that I could hope to palely imitate.

Anyway, enough rambling. My thanks to those here who've given me new music to listen to!

Peace

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

the problem here, the way i see it, is that streetlethal really has no argument other than "what's the deal with these people, they suck." as far as that opinion goes, im more or less on his side. but i feel that i can present reasons why i PERSONALLY don't like these guitarists, and try to be persuasive and see if anyone can understand my point. beligerance (i cant spell today, sorry) doesnt get you anywhere. people on the whole tend to want THEIR perspectives to be the only opinion that matters...strength in numbers, i guess.

but i think that if you REALLLLY wanted to create a reasonable list of "who's the best," that strength in numbers route is the only way to go. you'd have to poll anyone and everyone, guitarist or not, and go with that. this is highly subjective, so to base such a poll on skill or to rate guitarists on skill would be pointless. but the reality is it's impossible to do such a poll. and there will be people who dont agree, and have some sort of egocentric push to bring everyone to their side.

a true discussion is when someone recognizes the other person's opinions as a valid point. once you label that person's opinion as wrong, then you've basically screwed up the whole system. i dont see a true discussion in this thread.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

a true discussion is when someone recognizes the other person's opinions as a valid point. once you label that person's opinion as wrong, then you've basically screwed up the whole system. i dont see a true discussion in this thread.

And on that final note, we're locking it up!

Peace

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5