Skip to content
do you ever hear di...

Notifications
Clear all

do you ever hear disembodied voices when you play?

74 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
10 K Views
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i used to imagine that i was in front of an audience and would put on a concert in my living room. now it seems like there actually is one or something. i occasionally hear a person or a group of people talking with no connection to the real world, other than a reflection of what i'm playing or something.
if you're going to tell me to take medication, cram it.

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

i occasionally hear a person or a group of people talking with no connection to the real world, other than a reflection of what i'm playing or something.
I hope the voices don't sound like these guys

:lol:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Sometimes I hear when I haven't slept enough. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

As long as these aren't the type of voices that are critical and suggesting self destructive behavior, I wouldn't tell you to medicate yourself, but perhaps discuss it with a professional? Do they make you feel uncomfortable?

Lack of sleep, pot, entering a meditative or trance like state (while playing for instance), fever, and psychosis can give you auditory hallucinations. So can a lot of other really bad crap.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

they sound like your average idiot.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I agree with Nick. I would discuss it with someone who can help you understand what is causing it to happen.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

they sound like your average idiot.

I've always hoped that if I hear voices in my head, they will be smarter than me.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If it's strictly at higher volume levels, the non-linear nature of the ear can do this. But I would not expect to hear anything intelligible, just random sounds that maybe seem like voices in a crowd. And when you stop making noise, they will stop.

If not at high volume levels, I'd get it checked out.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

By the way, it's not because I think you are crazy. I think that anyway. :D

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

If it's strictly at higher volume levels, the non-linear nature of the ear can do this.

The most obvious guess would be that there is some kind of extra resonance going on with your setup - not being an acoustics prof myself but sound waves can interact in strange ways! and add to this is the typical - and powerful- instinctive tendency of the mind to lump random incoming stimuli into some kind of meaningful category. Hence our ability to see shapes in clouds or beatific vision in a piece of burnt toast :lol:

For example, if I've been walking a long time and maybe my blood sugar is low, sometimes I swear I can hear a crowd of people around the next bend even tho I KNOW it is the random noise of wind and/or water. One time we ran out of water on a long hike and the map showed a [seasonal] creek nearby and I heard that flippin creek the ENTIRE WAY back to the truck :roll:

Personally my guitar has some kind of extra resonance going on - the D chord in particular, it sounds EXACTLY like my phone in another room :evil: I can't tell you how many times I stopped mid-practice to listen for the next ring :evil:

Bear in mind that the power of mind is often much stronger than we give it credit for. If you are used to listening to music in your head (the eternal ipod :wink: ) you will know what I mean. Actually I find it very helpful to have the whole band playing along with me :wink:

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

It doesn't happen when I'm playing, but, if I'm in a quiet room with a fan or air conditioner running, I sometimes hear something like voices in the white noise. I always just figured that it was my brain trying to turn the white noise into something more familiar ... like voices.

Unless the voices start telling you to do things, I wouldn't worry about it too much! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

It seems more like WICCA to me...

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If the voices are telling you to send me money, pay attention.

But it could be whatever it is that tries to make sense of dreams is coming into play. Maybe you are self hypnotizing.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You know, Jason is about the only person I can relate to on these boards.

Is that because it's your voice he can hear?

The only voices I hear when I'm playing are from downstairs, usually shouting "TURN IT DOWN!" - which is strange, because if it was that loud I wouldn't be able to hear them.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Lack of sleep, pot, entering a meditative or trance like state (while playing for instance), fever, and psychosis can give you auditory hallucinations. So can a lot of other really bad crap.
So can a lot of other really good crap. So why worry? But seriously, if you happen to be medicating yourself already, you might stop for a bit, or alter the dosage, and see if the voices have anything more interesting to say. It might be interesting to see if you can figure out what's going on, but remember, if it's not harmful, there's no reason to worry. The mind is a wonderful, complex thing that does a lot of stuff we don't really understand. And we all have our quirks.

If you're not already putting substances into the mix, though, I wouldn't choose this moment to start. MAybe try answering the voices? Or asking them really hard questions to puzzle them into silence? Or do what I do with my neighbors banging on the wall- :twisted: ignore the voices until they call the cops.

For the record, I have never, never, never heard voices while playing the guitar. Which is one of the reasons I enjoy it so much.

Best,
Justin

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5