Clear all

Do you play football?

53 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I know this doesn't sound music-related....but, uh, lots of musicians enjoy sport. Just think of Bob Marley. Yeah. And I was wondering if there was a sport-music link, maybe a shared non-linear thought process involved. Or general hand-eye coordination skills involved. With particular reference to football (soccer, the one you play with your feet).

I also wondered if football talent is linked with willingness to jam, hence asking about RsJ plans also. See. It all makes perfect sense, and is clearly not part of any cunning pro-Liverpool plan at all. Not thattheres any reason tothink such a cunning plan even exists.

Edit: Can whoever the "Yes, I can kick thing (and will be at RSJ next year)" voter is pm me please so I know who you are? Purely for some potential follow-up survey questions, obviously, and not at all for participation in a match. I'm purely interested in how football ability may or may not be linked to musical ability. Oh, and do you prefer Liverpool F.C. or Man Utd? Just wondering how sporting allegiance may correlate with musical taste. The Lasley's are really screwing with the long-held basic assumptions in this area of research.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I kick. I jam.

having just returned from che Laz, I can confirm the environs support (encourage!) the possibility. moreover, some guy whose name begins with M or N or something similar also suggested croquet (sp?) on the Laz' treacherous back lawn. my understanding is that croquet is far more vicious than soccer/football. maybe we can't handle that?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well there wasn't a choice for me to pick from since I have only played "real" football and that's with helmets and pads, but as far as a sports/music connection I'm not sure.

I have always played sports since I was little and I guess I would be considered a jock since that cotinued into my adult years pretty much 12 months a year.

Not sure about hand/eye coordination since I always thought I had pretty good hand eye coordination until I picked up the guitar.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I kick. I jam.

having just returned from che Laz, I can confirm the environs support (encourage!) the possibility. moreover, some guy whose name begins with M or N or something similar also suggested croquet (sp?) on the Laz' treacherous back lawn. my understanding is that croquet is far more vicious than soccer/football. maybe we can't handle that?

Croquet is French for "sanctioned violence" and became popular as a means of deciding border disputes in 17th Century Europe. Wikipedia fails to mention this well-known historical fact, but I guess that just shows how little one can trust the veracity of anonymous internet sources.

We may play croquet if Liverpool lose. I mean, if I fail to get sufficient data for my high-powered research. Yup, that.

Do you bite as well? That's completely unrelated both to music and to my research project. I'm just curious.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I'm guessing that you mean the kind of football that's round and has black and white hexagonal pieces of leather stitched together. So for me....no, I don't play soccer :lol:

I do/did play baseball, tennis and up until the birth of my son (and if he didn't come along I would still be doing this and NOT playing the guitar) had an 8 year stint in the world of professional wrestling working with folks from WWE and TNA, but I don't konw if that counts as a "real" sport

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Not enough "No" choices. I don't play it, but I don't hate it. I did play it in later grade school years, but nothing organized like American football or baseball.

I've always contended that there are correlations between sport and music. Socially, mentally and physically. I'm not sure about hand-eye coordination. Many an un-coordinated kid played in the school band. I knew a "classically trained" musician at one time. I got to see her try to learn golf. Not pretty.

I think the biggest comparison I know of is the "feel" of doing each. Golf, in particular, was a feel game for me. I could feel the shot I needed. If I was a bit off, so was my game. Music has that aspect for me. I can feel certain songs and can play them better than others. I hear it in my recordings. I can feel the rhythm and my output reflects it. The opposite is even more true. If I can't feel it, I sure as heck can't play it. Kind of like the 3/4 wedge shot over sand and in front of water. If I don't feel it, the chances of that ball being on the green are minimal.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

no to football or soccer. croquet is great when you make your own course. ours tends to be very rough and roll..
I ran track in high school and for a short bit in college.
I enjoy volleyball. we play a version with two on a side and the same rules as tennis.
one bounce allowed.
now, I ride my bike to work. about 54 miles a week.
my real joy is baking pies. I have a killer crust recipe.
peach pie with blueberries is my fav.
apple pie in the fall. strawberry pie in the spring.
come over and take a bite of my pies.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I voted "no" but for a different reason than stated in the poll.

I don't play sports because I make my living with my fingers, and it is too easy to screw up a finger playing a sport.

An brother-in-law of mine lost the use of the middle finger on his left hand due to a freak hop of a softball. That would definitely eliminate the saxophone, flute, and wind synthesizer from my music making tools, and limit what I could do with the guitar and keyboards (I ain't no Django).

I'm also uninterested in watching sports, but only because I'd rather live my life by doing things than live it vicariously by watching other people do things. It's simply a personal choice due to my own private nature - no judgment implied.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'd rather watch the field to see if mushrooms grow than watch folks play a ball game. I don't understand why people like to watch sports.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

preachin tio the choir.

pro sports-snore time

participating in sandlot baseball=thumbs up.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There you go. I've had some great times playing with friends.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

so have I...

Oh, you're talking sports, aren't you? :oops:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

oh yeah, I bite.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I don't play now, I played when I was younger. I like it and my team is Atlético de Madrid. My second team is, of course, Liverpool, the Reds, the "Spanish Liverpool". I always like Liverpool but this year our former forward, Fernando "El niño" Torres, is playing there: You will never walk alone.

I played several sports but currently I only run. I ran my fifth marathon the past April 26th and I improved my personal record around 10 minutes. I will run a 10 km race next Sunday, my last for this season, then I will rest some days (and I will try to recover a minor injury in my left leg).

Scrybe, sorry, what do you mean with "RSJ"?

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

oh yeah, I bite.

Scrybe officially fails to post a witty riposte as she is distracted by the mental images. :shock:

Nuno,

Ah, Fernando, I picked him out in the World Cup, within the first half of his game, as a top player and one I wished would come to Liverpool. So, I'm clearly delighted he's on our team now. And I have a fondness for Atletico as a result (Atlletico and Barca - just as long it isn't Real, I'm happy!).

RSJ = Riverside Jam, but you'll have to ask David, Nick, Greg, or one of the Lasleys for more on that, as it's their thing, and I'm currently an RSJ virgin. I'm set to be at the 2010 one, but have in no way started this thread because I want to choose wisely when it comes to a friendly, relaxed battle to the death game of jovial football that may or may not be getting organised as we speak. Or type.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4