Clear all

Do you play football?

53 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Riverside Jam! Ok, thank you very much! I know about it, I didn't associate it.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Game on girlfriend! Prefer football to croquet (the lawn is a bit wicked) and volleyball if all else fails. You know my team...let's see would they be the English Premier League Champs? I believe they are, yes. And at least made it to Rome.

Unfortunately you've got me beat on guitar, so we'll have to take it to sports.

And I like to play with friends. Even ones that bite :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Oh, and Nuno, we can have a Riverside Jam in Madrid, especially if there is a football match to be watched as part of the deal...

To explain: Laz and I went to Manchester, UK to watch Man U v Liverpool last year. As a side benefit, we met up with Vic and Scrybe and held a mini jam in Liverpool; twas lovely. In fact it was so much fun that this year, when we went to see Man U v Arsenal (Laz, is sadly, an Arsenal fan) we brought our daughter Jacqui who plays alto sax and flute and clarinet with to the Merseyside Jam. Pictures are posted on Scrybe's Jam in the News Section.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Areanal?!? Well, I suppose that's slightly better, but it's still not the right team...

Scrybe runs off to find 5 (yes 5) pictures of the European Cup to post in response to the above comments. Words really will not do...

Oh, and I pick Greg, on account of the fact that he bites. I might need cheering up afterwards.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well, I did play football in gym class in school. (We called it soccer) American football? Yeah, in the street, no pads, no helmet, no ref no rules. Got a piece of a tooth missing to prove it. Baseball is our sport. Thunderfingers is a pitcher. #1 starter on varsity in 9th grade. Much better arm than the old man. I'm a hitter. Ummm .. what was the question???

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Bas-a-balla been veddy veddy good to me. 8)

TR, you got any of those senior leagues up your way? Lots of fun, real hard ball and wooden bats. 8) I played for a few years. I played one year, took one off and played the next two. Darned left knee could not take it no more and then all this head stuff. Phooooey.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Nah! But I'd love it! We love baseball! Thunderfingers was truely talented though but got a bad coach that didn't like him, kind of derailed things. :cry: In 9th grade had a 80mph fastball that was a sinker with 6" of run and a drop off the table curve. Oh, he is a lefty. 10th grade got a butthole coach and gave it up. When you throw a 1 hitter as a freshman in varsity it is an acomplichment right???? He weighted 160 back then .... he is 260 now. He can rush it up there. :twisted: ahhh .. he plays beer league softball now. :lol: 3 for 3 last night!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I got kicked out of coaching my kid's 10 and under soccer team for teaching them to run with their arms out to their sides so the refs couldn't tell when they threw an elbow. How is one supposed to pass on the lessons of their youth if they can't coach?

I've been known to play, but I'm now easily distracted by beer, beautiful women and guitars.

Oh, and I was an Alexandria City all-star softball player owing to playing cricket in my younger days. Although I must say the catcher would freak out when I would step around a pitch and hit it straight at him. No sense of humor.....

I think the croquet thing would be fun too....given enough beer.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well I do enjoy watching sports, more if my favorite team was playing but I will watch some others, but I would rather be playing than watching.

I do have a couple messed up fingers though that kind of limit what I can do with my left hand but not too bad. I dislocated one wrestling and one playing flag football, but that's kind of part of the deal. If you play sports long enough you are bound to get injured.

I played in basketball, flag football and softball leagues for over 20 years straight but I only play in a basketball league now.

Sports has always been my first love and although I can still compete with most of the younger guys the recovery time isn't quite the same anymore or the desire to play softball 7 days a week like I did in my heydey. I was on 3 different teams at the same time and one was a state league where we traveled for all the games...man that was like work I played over 150 games for several summers in a row..I kind of got burned out.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I was a pretty decent footballer in my youth - had two good feet, could head a ball well, could play anywhere - even in goal! (My dad was a goalkeeper - played for St Helens Town - lost his place to a young German who decided to settle over here after WWII called Bert Trautmann.)

I was a better Cricketer than footballer, though - fast bowler and useful batsman. Played at a useful level till well into my 40's.

These days, I'm strictly an armchair fan - unless any of the grandkids fancy a kick-about on the local park. Then guess who gets the job of taking them?

What surprises me these days - football wise - is the poor ball control of many players. I grew up in a generation where footballs were expensive, and parents didn't have much spare money - most of our kick-arounds, till we were about 11 or so, took place with a tennis ball. You learn ball control skills with a tennis ball, it's so much easier with a full sized football.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I can play footie, but I've always been far too hedonistic for it.

I've always been a good cricketer - medium fast bowler and good batsman (I can bat both left and right handed, much to the consternation of bowlers :D - I'd occasionally change in the middle of an over).

My best comes out when I've got a gun in my hand, they just seem to fit there naturally. My favourite is with moving targets - I was an accomplished clay shooter (strictly "sporting", no trap or skeet) - I can also shoot equally well left handed as right handed, much to the dismay of those who sought to handicap me by making me shoot left-handed.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've been known to play, but I'm now easily distracted by beer, beautiful women and guitars.

the stakes

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Yep. In a video game, as much as I play cricket the same way.

Tooooo lazy to play otherwise.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

the stakes

Have been raised? Now there's a euphemism...

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

there is no escaping this, eh? :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4