Skip to content
Does my Marshall Ha...

Notifications
Clear all

Does my Marshall Haze 40 sound like a Marshall?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

http://soundcloud.com/wickedfester/marshall-haze-40-demo

I put a Shure mic in front of the cab, on axis off center and let her rip. What does everyone think? I love classic rock and this is the sound for me! 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Sounds really good. Classic crunch. Were you using any pedals at all?

Also, I was on the laptop, so I couldn't tell if there was enough low-end when you hit those big bar chords.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I was using a Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive. (It's like a Tube Screamer) It adds a little sustain and brightens the sound a bit. The reverb and delay are the amps own. The bottom end is pretty good but being a combo it's not like a 4 X 12 cab. I'm pretty happy with it though.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I brought this up in another post, but will here also.

It does sound kinda Marshallly... But a little more high gain then im used to... Maybe more like the Marshalls from the metal years. When I think Marshall tone...and how I like them to sound is more like you hear in Mick Ronsons playing in this song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHq625bJiGs

SO thats my baseline for Marshall tone.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I brought this up in another post, but will here also.

It does sound kinda Marshallly... But a little more high gain then im used to... Maybe more like the Marshalls from the metal years. When I think Marshall tone...and how I like them to sound is more like you hear in Mick Ronsons playing in this song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHq625bJiGs

SO thats my baseline for Marshall tone.
That is interesting because if you read the reviews on this thing people complain it isn't high enough gain and thats why it DOESN'T sound like a Marshall. :lol: The professional reviews say it has a classic rock sound like the 70's Marshalls. I think my use of my Bad Monkey OD pedal is taking it over the top but I don't have the gain dimed on the pedal. It is only half way up and it is an OD pedal, not a distortion pedal. It's actually pretty transparent, just adds brightness and sustain. The recording did make it sound hotter even to me.

Paul, I mentioned in the other thread too .... but if you were to try my amp I bet you could get the sound you like. This is with the boost on on the dirty chanel. It can be turned off or you can use the clean chanel with it's boost turned on so this amp essentially has 4 chanels with varying gain. That plus as I mentioned I was using the Bad Monkey.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

No doupt. The main "body" of the Marshall tone is there to my ears.. Im sure with some messing it would be perfect. Hey... thats why they make more the one style, and why they put knobs on them. :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

http://soundcloud.com/wickedfester/marshall-haze-40-demo

I put a Shure mic in front of the cab, on axis off center and let her rip. What does everyone think? I love classic rock and this is the sound for me! 8)

TR - mic position is EQ. A degree of angle, a fraction of an inch in any direction will completely change the size of the speaker area the mic picks up, and the frequencies being picked up by the mic. Play with it. You'll be amazed at how many sounds can come from one setting on an amp

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey :)

Great playing, TR 8)

As far as it sounding like a Marshall, I'm with Paul on this....
I thought it had too much distortion for the classic early 70's hard rock tone.
Was pretty good for the Ozzy stuff though :wink:

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Ken! Yeah, I thought those people that reviewed it as "Not enough gain" were full of crap. It has plenty for me. I am liking it. 8)

ReplyQuote