Clear all

Don't even look at it!

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

They are a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, I love mine but and don't regret buying it. 20 years ago it was $750 and except for the binding not a whole lot different than the Standard. The price today is a bit crazy. As for the faded finish ones, I have seen a couple. The SG and Flying V faded were terrible. I did play a faded Les Paul that played and felt really nice. The V and SG were rough feeling and cheaply constructed. I have yet to try a satin finished one. They are $800 but that is still a lot of money. A les Paul Standard is $2000 and up. That is just crazy. I'd love one but how do I justify spending that much?
I tell you I played one of those newer Les Paul Studio ’60s Tributes.... I wouldnt call it a faded .... most a matt finish.. WOW it was SWEET!!!. I didnt have the $800 bucks to spend... but if I did, I would have got it. It was SWEEETTT!!! and I love me some P90's!!!!!

Those are the satin ones! I am curious about those. Call me odd but I find the regular nitro finishes seem a little tackie to me. I think thats why I like the feel of poly necks. Nothing shines like nitro though. That satin finish might float my boat. As I said above, the faded LP wasn't built bad. The SG and Flying V were another story. I think I might like the satin finished LP's as well. I have been looking at them on line. :mrgreen: No binding still. They have a yellow one that looks pretty cool. I know about the ones with the P90's and not that I don't like them cause I do but for that kind of scratch it would have to have my "Go To" pickups on it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I love that spinal tap-clip! Especially the part right before what you posted too, when Nigel shows the '59 Gibson Les Paul and talks about it's sustain.

On the subject of people not playing their guitars becasue they're so valueable I'm wondering what's the point in paying for a '59 Les Paul when it's never going to be played? Is it only for collector value? How much would the insurance be on one?

I love the look of your Studio! I've been looking into maybe getting a Studio, but the new ones look nothing like yours to be honest! So i'm looking everyday on used ones, but not come across anything special yet.

Black is the perfect colour when they don't have the binding in my opinion.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I love that spinal tap-clip! Especially the part right before what you posted too, when Nigel shows the '59 Gibson Les Paul and talks about it's sustain.

On the subject of people not playing their guitars becasue they're so valueable I'm wondering what's the point in paying for a '59 Les Paul when it's never going to be played? Is it only for collector value? How much would the insurance be on one?

I love the look of your Studio! I've been looking into maybe getting a Studio, but the new ones look nothing like yours to be honest! So i'm looking everyday on used ones, but not come across anything special yet.

Black is the perfect colour when they don't have the binding in my opinion.
I love that part of the movie as well! The whole thing cracks me up, I own it. I haven't avoided playing my Les Paul because it is expensive, well it is but compared to a vintage one it isn't. I just had this fear of damaging it like I did my first. Silly I know. The newer Studios have a lot of lower end models than mine. The ones like mine cost over $1300 and there are no more ebony boards or real MOP inlays. Nuts aren't bone either. This is about as close as they have now. I didn't see one in black. Hey! On sale now for a little over $1100. Yeah, mine being 20 years old it has wood you don't get in the current ones.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

About the insurance piece... For a guitar valued around $10,000 that stays at home or in the studio the insurance is about $630 a year. Joe Bonamassa, for instance travels world-wide with three late fifties Paul's. Say you get a low appraisal on a 50's Paul for $20G's each, I'd be willing to bet he's spending 10 grand a year just to insure those three guitars. I know some Les Paul's have sold for over $100,000 (WHY? - I like LP's and all) you can imagine what the premiums might be.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2