Notifications
Clear all

Duff's Polls Part 1: Pick Poll

40 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Greybeards provided a link in 3 of the 4. I think that Duffmaster should use the search before he makes a series of threads like this.

Do you search for something before every thread you start? The other threads were all about a year old and well off the first page. Fair game, I say.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I use the Dunlop Jazz III picks, anyone know what gauge they are? Doesn't say on the pick, and I don't have the packaging anymore.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I use the Dunlop Jazz III picks, anyone know what gauge they are? Doesn't say on the pick, and I don't have the packaging anymore.

As I recall, they are 1.38mm.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i actually use Fender Heavy bass picks for my acoustics and regular fender heavies for everything else

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

i'm with ghost on this.

i swear by the green dunlop tortex .88mm picks

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Greybeards provided a link in 3 of the 4. I think that Duffmaster should use the search before he makes a series of threads like this.

Do you search for something before every thread you start? The other threads were all about a year old and well off the first page. Fair game, I say.

Well the second link greybeard provided was just a few months old.

Anyway, to spice things up a bit, whats your reasoning for the pick size you use. I saw 3mm mentioned, a 0.3 must feel like paper. Anyone really dislike a pick guage?

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

yeah, I can't play with a pick thinner than "medium".

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I hate using picks thicker than "medium". :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I know I'm a bit strange, but I feel like I have more control with a thin pick. If I need stiffness I can always hold the pick lower, leaving about 1/8th of an inch exposed at the point of the pick. I like something more flexible for strumming or chording.To me it just seems I can get more variation in tone and harmonics with a thin nylon pick --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I'm the opposite - I don't get the control I like with anything that bends. You wouldn't eat chinese with bendy chopsticks, would you? :mrgreen: The picks I use have indentations on the sides to help with grip, so I can relax my grip on it without fear of dropping it if I need a softer sound. It's a bit of a pain having to lug my own pick around 'just in case' though :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I know I'm a bit strange, but I feel like I have more control with a thin pick. If I need stiffness I can always hold the pick lower, leaving about 1/8th of an inch exposed at the point of the pick. I like something more flexible for strumming or chording.To me it just seems I can get more variation in tone and harmonics with a thin nylon pick --the dog

Same here. I don't half aswell with a thicker pick.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

when i read the topic "Duff's polls" i got this weird hillary duff moment :?

anyway pointless -
I swear by DADI nylon PIcks Medium (the yellow ones)

Minus

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

when i read the topic "Duff's polls" i got this weird hillary duff moment :?

anyway pointless -
I swear by DADI nylon PIcks Medium (the yellow ones)

Minus

I bet that was a terrifying moment. I never heard of DADI picks. All we get around here is Dunlop and novelty ones.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Rarely use picks but when I do I like the .73 Dunlop Lucky 13s

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Had a sudden thought - I'd never really noticed, but I tend to use lighter (.60mm) picks with my Tele, and heavier (.88mm) with my Strat. (Both Jim Dunlop nylons.)

Go figure :? :shock:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3