Clear all

Duuur dah dah, duuur dah da dah dah.

17 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Two thousand Austrailian guitarists break a record with "Smoke On The Water".

I'm shocked they could only find 2000 people for it.

-Metaellihead

(@mikey)
Reputable Member

No big deal...

Same thing happens at your local Guitar Center on any given Saturday afternoon.

Wonder if they were all electric guitars and if they were all plugged into amps and just how many watts of electricity they were burning through. Would have loved to have been there.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Smoke on the water?
Now if you could get all 2,000 to play Classical Gas and stay in tempo I would be impressed :lol:
But at least it is a worthwhile charity event so good luck all you guys down under.

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I'd say smoke on the water is more of a "dern durn den" sound then a dur durh dur.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'd say smoke on the water is more of a "dern durn den" sound then a dur durh dur.

You have to forgive his accent. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hmmmm

It does say they "hope" to get 2,000. I wonder how many turned up?

It's worth remembering that Australia is a huge country with only 20 million people spread around. That's like a similar size west to east, coast to coast, as the USA, but with about one fifteenth the population. Plenty of room left for a few more guitar players....

I'm sure not travelling over two thousand kilometers just to play a few bars of Smoke on the Water. Maybe I'll just join in from this side of the country :D

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hmmmm

It does say they "hope" to get 2,000. I wonder how many turned up?

It's worth remembering that Australia is a huge country with only 20 million people spread around. That's like a similar size west to east, coast to coast, as the USA, but with about one fifteenth the population. Plenty of room left for a few more guitar players....

I'm sure not travelling over two thousand kilometers just to play a few bars of Smoke on the Water. Maybe I'll just join in from this side of the country :D

Cheers, Chris

Man, wouldn't that be one heckuva trip though? Strap your gear on the back of the bike and head down the road. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Man, wouldn't that be one heckuva trip though? Strap your gear on the back of the bike and head down the road. 8)

Yeah, it's a great trip. Everything from some mind numbing desert stretches to magnificent coastal roads.

I plan to do it sometime, as I have a brother living in Melbourne who I haven't seen for a while. Don't think I'll do it by bike though. I have some "alternative transport" lined up for the job.

Not quite a bike, but still a fun way to travel

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

OOooooh, that's sweet. Forgive my ignorance on cars. What is it?

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

OOooooh, that's sweet. Forgive my ignorance on cars. What is it?

It's a Mazda RX8 (rotary engine). Top speed about 240kph+ (150mph+). Fantastic handling and very quick acceleration. :D

Not quite the feel that you get from a bike, but more room for guitars and friends. 8) Sort of like a bike for the aged... :twisted:

Cheers, Chris.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That'll do the job anytime and anywhere.

Here's my ride of choice.

In that shot, I'm starting off a yearly 2000+ mile ride that I lead every year.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I'd be impressed if it was the whole song, not the beginning part that any guy holding a guitar can play :lol:

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Steve-o, u got a point there. :)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I'd be impressed if it was the whole song, not the beginning part that any guy holding a guitar can play :lol:

Well, it was only a fund raiser for cancer, not a serious musical event. :)

Getting something that anybody who can hold a guitar can play would pretty much be essential. Every extra note required would scare off another bunchof potential record setters. :P

I can't find any news items about them actually breaking the record though. Maybe they didn't get that many people to turn up?
Here's my ride of choice.

Rparker,

Great bike pic! 8) Got a page somewhere with any more?

That must be an amazing ride that you do. I hitched coast to coast and back in the US back in the sixties. Fantastic range of scenery.

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Got a page somewhere with any more?

No, I have not set up a site anywhere yet. That URL is our riding club's site.

That must be an amazing ride that you do. I hitched coast to coast and back in the US back in the sixties. Fantastic range of scenery.

The rides are great. We've done 'em 3 out of last 4 years. Two to different parts of New England and one to Niagara Falls. The western trips are out of our price and time range, but will happen in about 10 years.

I wanna do a month in Australia sometime too. Anytime I ever see footage from there, it makes me wanna ride there. Some day.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2