Clear all

Early Bird or Night Owl

27 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

after playing for close to 2 years I have found something rather curious. I found that I am prefer to play and practice at night. I seem to have more creative energy and concentration. In fact, just this afternoon I tried to get a few hours practice in and found I couldn't concentrate again.

Anyone else experience this?

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I like to take my acoustic outside onto my back patio in the mornings. There's something really nice about playing softly and listening to the birds sing! I think that's my favorite time.

:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Night owl here . Maybe it is ingrained from so many years of either listening to bands play until the wee hours or playing myself in bands at those hours . If I have an occasional gig or rehearsal session that gets over and I go outside and it is still light out , it seems un-natural .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'm best at night. I was up till 3:30 this morning jamming.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I can appreciate both, but there is nothing to compare with sunrise and the beginning of the new day.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I tend to be a night owl. But that is more out of necessity than choice.

I occasionally get to practice during the day at weekends and I can't say I've noticed any difference from a creativity/concentration point of view. It depends what is going on around me (interruptions from family, telephone, doorbell etc)

Can't wait for the summer to get out in the garden though. Neighbours are going to love me. :lol:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Night person in general, and definitely play better then

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I like to take my acoustic outside onto my back patio in the mornings. There's something really nice about playing softly and listening to the birds sing! I think that's my favorite time.

:D
I'm with you Elecktra, I do the same thing and its wonderful that spring is coming. I'm enjoying the dawn's "EARLY" light these days :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Definitely a night owl. Morning is for sleeping.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Night Owl. Not by choice - I've suffered from insomnia for years now. It'll get later and later till I get to bed, then one night I'll go right through with no sleep, get to bed at a decent time the following night and think I'm cured. No such luck - next night I'll be up till 3-4am again.

I tend to play electric guitar, either unplugged or with headphones in the wee small hours.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

i play best when i've recovered from my hangover.........oh thats never then :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I wake up full of music in my head and usually having a good idea how to play it. By the time I have a chance to play, much later, it's gone out of my head and I'm often too tired to play.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm a night person. Worked nights since 1987. I tend to play better then. In the morning after work I sound terrible. As for you Ric, that's an ocupational hazzard. Your job will always be more important then the music in your head. I'm lucky I punch a clock in that aspect. I do get music ideas at work though and they do tend to go away.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I haven't really got a preference.
I play when there is un-interrupted time. Usually that's after the kids are in bed, after the dished are washed, after... everything else that needs to be done. That's when I get to do the things that I want to do, like strumming a few chords.

Usually that's after 10:00 pm, often closer to 11.
Which doesn't leave much time before I have to get some sleep. That 6:00 alarm comes mighty fast.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Night Owl forever. I've tried numerous times to change but I always come back to the NIGHT.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2