Clear all

ebay guitar?

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 vr'
(@vre)
Topic starter  

Im thinking about trying some home guitar lessons and I need a guitar. But I dont want to blow big bucks on one and then give up after a couple weeks. I looked on ebay and saw some beginner acoustic guitar kits for around 40 bucks!? Just wondered if they are worth the $ or if they r trash. Id probly play it till i figured i was goood enough to justify spending several hundred for an electric guitar. my question is will a 40$ guitar last long enough to teach myself how to play it?

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Without knowing the actual condition of any of the guitars, assuming they are in playable shape they should last many years.

Whether or not it is playable and you don't get discouraged due to any lack of quality in the instrument itself, it should outlive your "growing years".

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I looked on ebay and saw some beginner acoustic guitar kits for around 40 bucks!?

One thing I've noticed about the cheap guitar "deals" on E-Bay, the shipping is often as much as the sale price.
Is a $40 guitar still a deal after you add $39.99 shipping?

For that much, you can pick something up locally, and at least you'll know that there aren't huge cracks in the body, and the neck is not warped beyond repair.

Check the local pawn shops. You never know what you'll find there. At least you'll be able to look at it before you hand over your money.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@baldwin)
Trusted Member

I bought on of these for about $40 when it was a Stupid Deal Of The Day. I prefer that guitar over my $200 acoustic. Seriously, read the reviews. It will definitely get you started.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I bought on of these for about $40 when it was a Stupid Deal Of The Day. I prefer that guitar over my $200 acoustic. Seriously, read the reviews. It will definitely get you started.

If i'm not mistaken for $20 more you can get a mandolin with it.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

That Rogue looks awfully familiar...hmmmm.....
Anyway, this is the Indiana Scout I got, with the Levy's tooled leather strap and a really nice gig bag, all for $60 at my friendly local pawn shop. Going locally, being able to try before you buy, I agree it's the way to go. You might also check if craigslist has a site for your area. Many a good deal there.

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

definately shop local for your guitar. those ebay cheapies are sometimes unplayable. you are paying for cosmetiocs and shipping.
yard sales often have beginner guitars. small guitar stores ususally have them too. plus they will add a setup so it will be more comfortable for beginner fingers.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@terestron)
Eminent Member

My advice is to get the best you can afford...quick story....my parents had the same thought about spending money on a guitar for my brother for xmas...especially if they were not sure he was going to stay with it..so xmas morning he got a jcpenny acoustic (early 80s) and that thing was so bad....a friend who was an acomplished guitarist offered to tune it up and after two days he gave up....of course so did my brother....and the money they "saved" was thrown out the window...

See it as an investment..that way if it is not for you you can sell it and at least get most of your money back....i am not saying break the bank....but it is less frustrating and more enjoyable to learn on a well made instrument that does not require constant adjustment.

When I turned 37 I decided i wanted to learn guitar and that memory stuck in my head so i after researching i figured $300 would get me a nice instrument to learn on...It was a great stepping stone...I now have a Ovation and a Blueridge acoustic I won at a blue grass festival....both worth more than my first one but i keep it for camping trips...

Just my .02....

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

I have a couple Rogue guitars from Musicians Friend. I have been very pleased with them for the cost. The nice thing is that it can be sent back if there is an issue with it. Not sure if you have a friend who plays guitar, but they could help you check out any guitars that you may come across. Craigslist (as mentioned above) is another good place to look.

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member

this is just my opinion but i would enjoy learning more on a guitar that was well built and wasnt something i scraped a few pennies together to get
for my first guitar and several other purschases i went to musicians friend i would highly suggest them ive never had a problem with them so far

ReplyQuote