Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think this pretty much settles it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIr-WBZT1MI

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@conuvial)
Trusted Member

Oh yeah....... I could watch that video all day long - amazing.

"...it's in him, and it got to come out..." - JLH

ReplyQuote
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member

O.o I didn't know guitars could make noises like that :shock:

Fifteen thumbs up to Van Halen :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

O.o I didn't know guitars could make noises like that :shock:
Listen to some live Jimi.

That was pretty damn amazing though. Great use of feedback, he controlled it nicely. Still not a fan of tapping though, but he's one of the best at it.

ReplyQuote
(@hyunjae)
Trusted Member

And was it me, or was his thumb almost never in the "classic" position in the middle? :shock:

Perhaps it is ok to play like that sometimes :? (I only play certain chords this way, then switch back to the middle place during notes)

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

By far and away my favorite guitarist, and favorite band. I just love the stuff he does - always have.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I couldn't. I sat through two minutes of it, realised there were another five to go, and found something else to listen to. Yes, I know the guy's technically brilliant, yes he can get some amazing sounds out of the guitar, yes, he can play at the speed of lightning.....yes it's all very clever, and he's a master of the instrument, but where's the SONG? What's he trying to say? It just doesn't appeal to me musically, and I'll probably never understand the attraction. I should probably shut up right around now.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

For some reason, I don't think the word "crazy" in Dali's original post was intended as a compliment ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Vic, when VH first hit the stage it was ummmm very late 70's. He was unique and so was his band. Shortly thereafter, anyone who had any guitar control started riffing like EVH. After a while it just became another part of any lead guitarists' arsenal of tricks. It was no longer unique or mystifying.

In the VH context, his guitaring is masterful. By himself, as in that vid, he seems out of it and disoriented. Sadly, for where I am in guitaring, that would still be a step up for me. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

I couldn't. I sat through two minutes of it, realised there were another five to go, and found something else to listen to. Yes, I know the guy's technically brilliant, yes he can get some amazing sounds out of the guitar, yes, he can play at the speed of lightning.....yes it's all very clever, and he's a master of the instrument, but where's the SONG? What's he trying to say? It just doesn't appeal to me musically, and I'll probably never understand the attraction. I should probably shut up right around now.

Vic

Most of that was just demonstrating the guitar/amp I believe - wasn't really intended to be a song in it.

Bish - he looks disoriented because he was probably pretty drunk at that point - he went into rehab a couple months ago, and came out looking good, but I haven't heard much recently...

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

He's fast, I wouldn't want to play with him though, maybe he plays differently in a band. I thought that kinda sucked.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it is nice to see EVH up and about and still soldiering on. he is sounding more and more like Keith Richards.
I got to give it up for him.
imagine standing in front of all those people at a NAMM booth and playing with no back up
what so ever. I could not do that!
he also demonstrates well his influence on many guitarists.
they all hang out at GC coping his wank tricks.
I do like the fact that Eddie 'plays' the guitar.
at the very same NAMM show several new guitars were brought out.
both Fender and Gibson are making guitars with modeling electronics inside.
a pedal inside a guitar.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

For some reason, I don't think the word "crazy" in Dali's original post was intended as a compliment ...

Mitch, you are correct. While I love Eddie's talent, my comments were more pointed to his antics and general well-being.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

he also demonstrates well his influence on many guitarists.
they all hang out at GC coping his wank tricks."

You might want to rephrase that - I nearly spluttered tea all over my computer. The word immediately preceding "tricks" wouldn't get past even a fairly liberal censor on a UK forum....or other parts of the world, for that matter. Over here it's the common slang term for self-abuse of a carnal nature.....

Not getting on my high horse or anything - it's just one of those transatlantic cultural differences. For a fleeting second I had a horrible vision of a crowd of people all copying......well, let's not go there!!!!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

In america we just don't use the word wank haha.

But dodgy, I like that word, wish it would gain some ground over here.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2