26 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Guitar wankery at its best. :twisted:

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@conuvial)
Trusted Member

Was never a fan of his music. But seeing the ability he still has, to play at the level he still does, while barely able to speak coherently is astounding.

"...it's in him, and it got to come out..." - JLH

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my apologies to the English speaking people of the world.
haha. the term wanker is indeed the same thing on this side of the ocean. it is not used much. the derogatory side of the term defines a person that cannot control their participation in this natural form of human behavior.
so when a guitar player is called a wanker they are merely abusing the guitar tricks they know or emulate. i guess mindless shredding would be another way to say it.
sounding like an angry nest of bees isn't accurate.
no. wanking does it best.
now I have used the word four times.

Vic.
I was drinking coffee.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Its kind a sad. That man was the reason I picked up a guitar in 1980, and he was the reason countless other did too. He did revolutionize the way the instrument is played - how many can say that? But, and I just don't know how else to say it, he is just depressing to watch now. His demons seem to have taken a big toll on him. Too bad...

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

Its kind a sad. That man was the reason I picked up a guitar in 1980, and he was the reason countless other did too. He did revolutionize the way the instrument is played - how many can say that? But, and I just don't know how else to say it, he is just depressing to watch now. His demons seem to have taken a big toll on him. Too bad...

He has been much better recently - there are lots of pictures of him out and about, and he does look great! I suppose I am getting a bit off topic, so...

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Dudes...He is just demonstrating what the guitar/amp can do, not playing a concert. Just a "demo"

looked much healthier here though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWWu6Dx_7Hw

But I'm remembering something about him getting cancer... :(

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Yes, Taso, I know he was just demonstrating the guitar. I am not knocking his playing. But, he looks out of it - at least to me.

Yes, Taso he had cancer. Not sure of the status of that. He also has a very bad alcohol problem - been in and out a rehab a few times. Apparently, that is what ended his marriage. The big summer tour was cancelled before it even got going, due to some health reason (can't exactly remember what was released about it).

The guy has just abused himself for many years. Now the effects of it are easy to see. It is a shame when anyone does that to themself, not just a rock star. I mostly feel sorry for his son, who had to grow up watching his father in that condition. Hopefully, he is straightening himself out.

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member

He's looking pretty rough these days. He was clearly drunk as shit there. Bummer.

His contribution to electric rock guitar however, is almost unparalleled.

Imagine what kind of insanity it took to think: "what if I varied the voltage into my amp? What kind of tone would I get then?" ; or "what if I drop my pickups in wax, semen, or the blood of virgins?"; or "what if Floyd Rose isn't a complete moron?"; or "What if I took the body from this guitar and put this neck and headstock on it?"

He didn't invent pinch harmonics, but he made it an art form. He didn't invent tapping but he's the reason every guitarist on earth knows some of that technique now.

He boiled strings for what appeared to be no apparent reason.

He changed tunings to minimize the impact of the major 3rd interval.

He might or might not have modded his marshall rig.

There is a story once told about how Eddie used to play with his back to the stage while playing eruption. This was back in 1977 or whatever. He did it to maintain the mystique of his play. People honestly didn't believe that he was playing this song. They thought there had to be some form of synth involved.

His "frankenstrat" custom shop replicas (300 made) sold for $25,000 a pop and sold out in 15 minutes.

He invented the "brown" sound.

But Rolling Stone Magazine ranked him #78 in thier list of the top 100 guitarists of all time.

It must be some evil joke.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

At one time he was the best, one of the most innovative guitarists in history, to rank him #78 of all time is insane :x

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

At one time he was the best, one of the most innovative guitarists in history, to rank him #78 of all time is insane :x

I've started taking polls like that with a pinch of salt; answers vary according to age, sex, geographical location, what was for breakfast this morning etc etc.

I'm not a fan, but I could see why he was a big influence, and yes, #78 does seem a bit low.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

There is a story once told about how Eddie used to play with his back to the stage while playing eruption. This was back in 1977 or whatever. He did it to maintain the mystique of his play. People honestly didn't believe that he was playing this song. They thought there had to be some form of synth involved.

This story may be just that...I saw Van Halen in the late 70's,....saw them the same year I saw Led Zep. Eddie played eruption middle stage, facing the audience, and I must admit, it was utterly fantastic, as was the entire concert. Zep, on the other hand, was a major disappointment...they were all visibly drunk, their performance was horrible, and way, way to loud (to cover all the mistakes?). One of my top five worst concerts ever.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2