Clear all

electro harmonix pedals

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@scottish-nutter)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hi, im looking for some advise on a few pedals im looking at, they are all electro harmonix pedals iv seen for a decent price
delays
i was thinking either the dmm or the #1 echo, the dmm is double the price, is it worth spending that much on it or will the #1 echo sound almost as good?

reverb
theres a choice of, holy grail, holy grail+, holier grail or the holiest grail, i know there is more buttons with a few more settings on the more expensive ones but again are they worth it or is the cheaper and easyer holy grail good enough?

chorus
theres a choice of nano clone, small clone or think the last one was micro clone theory, which of these would be best?
dont think i can try any of these before i buy thats why i need some advise
the other thing was are all these pedals true bypass?
or can anyone recomend some other good be decent priced true bypass pedals?
also what is ment by passive bypass on the marshall pedals?
thanks

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

No answer yet huh? I don't personally own any EH pedals. I think the best way to find these things out though is to bring your guitar into the shop and plug in. Make sure you're using the same or similar amp to what you have at home. Opinions don't really convey tone and that is a personal thing. What sounds good to one person might not sound good to another. Just my opinion though.....hehe.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The Holy Grail sounds good. They have that effect... the "flerb": flanger and reverb. I've read good reviews of these pedals but I didn't use them. I think they are true bypass.

Another true bypass pedals in a similar range (or even cheaper) are the BBE. Precisely I bought a tube screamer this morning.

And I agree, the best thing you can do is check them with your equipment.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I have the Small Clone chorus pedal & love it. :D I'm not sure if it has true bypass or not though.

Did you check out their web site? http://www.ehx.com/ehx2/

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I love my Big Muff to death and hopefully this summer I will have enough spare cash to buy one of the Holy grail reverb pedals(not sure which one yet). Watch the EHX pedal reviews they have on their site, they are very helpful. My big muff came with a dvd of all their products with a guy using and showing off each of their pedals.

EHX is a great company that has been around for quite some time and they make some of the greatest pedals out there.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@fashioncrimewave)

i've sort of wondered the same thing about EHX pedals. the holy grail family of reverbs has interested me, and a friend who's very talented uses one quite a bit. i've had two EHX pedals before and didn't care for them, but they were both the Russian versions.

the first was a Big Muff, I bought it cheap b/c the LED didn't work, resoldered a wire and it was back to perfect. the second was a Small Stone. both made cool noises, but they also both caused a severe level drop in my signal. I could never use the Small Stone without a compressor in front of it, but the compressor output had to be turned up too high for playing without the SS... it was too much of a pain. and if I wanted to use the big muff, i had to turn the amp up louder than normal, or again put a compressor in front, but then i couldn't switch it back off without also turning the amp down or turning off the comp. Basically, both the BM and SS pedals had to be always on or they were useless. So I bought different fuzz and phaser pedals and sold the EHX pedals.

but as I said, they were both Russian versions. the US versions might not have these problems. anyone care to offer an opinion on that? also, I think the big muff I had ONLY worked on a 9V battery. or maybe it was the small stone. one or the other could only use a battery, i'm sure of that.

ReplyQuote
(@scottish-nutter)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the replys, i forgot about this thread
i ended up buying the delux memory man, holy grail (cheapes one) and the small clone chorus pedal
they all sound pretty good, the only problem i have is with the small clone, it gives me a drop in volume when i have it in my amps loop, its only i little drop iv its on the clean channel but if i turn it on with the gain it get about a 50% drop in volume with my dsl401, it also sonds like iv got a blanket over the amp giving it a muffled sound, i get a smaller drop in volume on the clean channel of my marshall jubilee and maybe a 25% drop in volume on the gain channel with the jubilee, but plug it into the front of both amps and there is no loss in volume, anyone know why this happens?
thanks

ReplyQuote