Skip to content

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Elliot Smith

(@fleaaaaaa)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone here ever heard Elliot Smith? Anbody see him live? I was just wondering, if you have never heard of him Elliot Smith was a great songwriter who claims the beatles were his biggest influence, many people who I have played him to say that he sounds like Simon and Garfunkle. Unfortunately a few years ago Elliot took his life and he has been missed ever since. There is a gig live at olympia on youtube for anyone who is interested in hearing one of the best talents from the 1990s. Here is a link to a song and the rest are also available on youtube (if you look down the right hand side in explore more videos you can see them). Thought I'd just post it, as I really think I was missing out on a great artist for so many years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgC9yrD9VNA&mode=related&search=elliot%20smith

together we stand, divided we fall..........

(@mufassa)

yeah i first heard of elliot smith from the film the Royal tenanbaums. they play needle in the hay over a suicide attempt scene, it's very dark and effective. i asked my friend if he knew him and he told me that he had died. his stuf is quite amazing though. P.S. son of sam and needle in the hay are class songs

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

his last album before the tragic OD was From a Basement on the Hill. good solid album. his voice reminds me of john lennon.

i read about him years ago in rolling stone (i think). his drug use was EXTREMELY bad at the end of his life.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

I thought he didn't OD but rather impaled himslef on a knife? Unless you are talking about some other major event in his life.

He had a couple of songs on the "Good Will Hunting" soundtrack. He has been recommended to me before. I listened to some of his music but none of it struck me to go any further. Maybe I'm the one who's missed something, then again his main influence is the Beatles. I love the Beatles, great musicians, great songs, great to listen to but for me their music isn't very inspiring. I'll check out the songs Mufassa mentioned because so many people say how great he is so I'll give him a second chance. My tastes grow/change as I age, maybe this time I'll get it... or perhaps maybe not.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

yes, you are correct...my mistake.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Yeah, he stabbed himself twice in the chest after a fight with his girlfriend. Actually, there are still doubts that she might have stabbed him because there were a few factors that weren't typical of suicide, such as he stabbed through his shirt while most suicides lift it up. Also, there weren't any hesitation scars, just two direct punctures. Plus here prints were all over the knife, but she claims she took the knife out when she saw him.

But back to better topics, yes his music is a great influence on me. Funny, I found out about him the same way that mufassa did, The Royal Tennebaums.

His XO album is excellent. I would have to say that he reminds me most of Nick Drake.

P.S. His name is spelt Elliott Smith

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote