Clear all

Eminem?

26 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I can't stand rap and eminem is no exception but his lyrics are quite good and hes concidered a lyrical genious. But still...how can something like that get so popular?

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

People thought the same of Elvis and the stones.

Kids feel that Eminem is saying something.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

How can people like metal? How can people like blue flowers? How can people like pancakes? How can people like shoes with LEDs in them?

Maybe it has something to do with taste?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You know if they made shoes with LEDs in adult sizes, I'd own them.

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I don't like his music, and I don't really like the message in his lyrics, but I find that I actually do listen to his lyrics for some reason. Maybe they're catchy, or deep, or intelligent...or perhaps it's because he's the only rapper who I can understand what he's saying. When he raps I can understand every word he says, whereas other rappers I can only make out a handful of words. Actually, Eminem is doing what rap originally started as, and later moved away from: telling a story. A lot of his songs from beginning to end have a feel of reading (or listening) to a story. Most rappers aren't like that. Perhaps that's some of the allure.

I have to admit, I do find his lyrics to be interesting, and I'm not a lyrics type of guy. There are songs I've listened to probably hundreds of time that I couldn't tell you the words to. I just like them for the music.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

I can't stand rap and eminem is no exception but his lyrics are quite good and hes concidered a lyrical genious. But still...how can something like that get so popular?

"Human beings can get used to almost anything... :wink: "

My girlfriend loves Eminem's stuff. So I get to listen to it more than a (rational) human would prefer.

You have to admit that as rap emphasizes lyrics and rhythm, over melody and harmony, that eminem really "nails it" with his delivery of syllables and rhythm. The meaningfulness of his content, however, is often wanting... :lol:

Later,

~Ghost Rapper~ :shock:

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

who called him a genius?

ReplyQuote
(@jbehar)
Trusted Member

who called him a genius?

If I had to guess, I'd say his mother...

Can you tell I'm not a huge fan?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

who called him a genius?

If I had to guess, I'd say his mother...

Can you tell I'm not a huge fan?

I think it more likely to have been Eminem, himself.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well my 18-year old daughter thinks he's brilliant.... I sort of metamorphose into my grandad and ask about melody etc....

In the cosmic scheme of things, he doesn't even pop up on my radar... and you can bet your last pound/bottom dollar he'll never get a song played on Planet Rock.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@sjt1316)
Trusted Member

but his palms are sweatty
knees weak, arms are heavy
there's vomit on his sweater already
Mom's spaghetti
he's nervous
but on the surface he looks calm and ready
to drop bombs
but he keeps on forgetting
what he wrote down
the whole crowd
grows so loud
he opens his mouth but the words won't come out
He's chokin on
how everybody's jokin now
the clock's run out
time's up, over
blaow!

--Steve
If you're enjoying it, are you still a struggling artist??
D~~n the man, save the Empire!

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

In the cosmic scheme of things, he doesn't even pop up on my radar... and you can bet your last pound/bottom dollar he'll never get a song played on Planet Rock.....
The modern rock stations play some of his music: Lose Yourself and Sing for the Moment. I think those are the names, they kind of boarder on being rap/rock.

I am a fan, not a huge fan, I wouldn't go to a concert. Yes, I will admit it. I own his first three cd's - I am not going to be banned from guitar noise for that am I? I actually don't think he is a lyrical genius, he is pretty good and at times quite witty but genius?? I don't think so. How did he get popular? Well, I don't think Eminem and many others many of you dislike will be going away any time soon. I think of my grandfather telling my dad when he was growing up how my dad's rock music would never last and how it wasn't real music compared to what his generation listened too. Now, my father's generation often say the same thing about today's music. It just goes to show the different generations will always have trouble understanding each other. I really think people like Eminem, JayZ, or Nas or whoever it is at the top of the rap game will one day be viewed as classics - whether any of us like it or not.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I accidentally left that out of the terms and conditions, so you are okay for the moment.

I wasn't being sarcastic actually. Who called him a genius?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I know quite a few Dutch music/lifestyle (they are the same, y'all know?) mags did so. MTV did it when they had their 'Eminem night'. I did had to laugh when he rapped/sang 'I'll be who you want me to be' or something like that right after mags accused him of being a faker.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

It just goes to show the different generations will always have trouble understanding each other.

I'm 17. Can't understand my own generation apparently.

Talkin' bout my gennnnneration!

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2