Notifications
Clear all

Epi

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@twin-city-aggie)
Topic starter  

Is anyone familiar with the Epiphone brand? I am new to the guitar and I saw one at the guitar center that I'm interested in. This particular one costs about $350. Is this worth it? :?

Twin City Aggie newbie

(@Anonymous)

Is anyone familiar with the Epiphone brand? I am new to the guitar and I saw one at the guitar center that I'm interested in. This particular one costs about $350. Is this worth it? :?
Epiphone guitars are to Gibson guitars what Toyota autos are to the Lexus brand, or maybe closer to what a Ford is to a Lincoln

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

... or squire to fender.

My experience with epiphones is good. Have just bought a Epi Dot. Which model are you looking at?

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I have an Epiphone G400 (SG model) and I love it. The stock pickups aren't very good though so I suggest you buy better pickups and replace the stock ones. Sure beats buying a Gibson that's 2 or 3 times more expensive.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I was playing a lot of guitars (several brands) in the stores and finally I decided on the Les Paul. Generally they are good guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

John Lennon was a BIG fan of Epiphones - McCartney has an Epi or two named after him....what better reccomendation do you need?

Ever seen the Beatles playing on the roof of the Apple building in the film "Let It Be?" That beautiful semi hollow John was using is an Epi......

Lovely guitars, but always - whatever you're thinking about splashing your hard-earned cash on - try before you buy.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I have an Epiphone G400 (SG model) and I love it. The stock pickups aren't very good though so I suggest you buy better pickups and replace the stock ones. Sure beats buying a Gibson that's 2 or 3 times more expensive.
Me too .... got different pickups in it too. :D I got Gibsons too .... actually I got a lot of guitars but I think Epis are OK.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

It totally depends on what model it is on whether that's a fair price or not. Got any more info on it?

ReplyQuote
(@twin-city-aggie)
Topic starter  

This particular epi is the "hummingbird". It has a solid spruce top with mahogany sides.

Twin City Aggie newbie

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I have an Epiphone Masterbilt DR500M which has a solid spruce top and solid Mahogany back and sides. It sounds great and plays nice. I paid about $500 at GC. I tried a lot of guitars in this price range and it was by far my favorite.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Epiphone guitars are to Gibson guitars what Toyota autos are to the Lexus brand, or maybe closer to what a Ford is to a Lincoln

Actually you mean Mercury, not Lincoln. Except for the probably short lived Lincoln Truck model, Mercury would be the Gibson anology ,as they are higher priced "Fords" with Flashy extras.

More to the point, Epi makes great guitars , but like any brand you should try before buying.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

the top of the line epis are a very good guitar, the elitest, the black beauty
just change the pups and you have a guitar that is top notch, but mods tend to get pricey

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I've owned 3 EPI's and they were all very nice.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

This particular epi is the "hummingbird". It has a solid spruce top with mahogany sides.

After looking at a picture I see that I've actually tried that guitar out in GC and it seemed quite nice. $350 seems a decent price. I think the one I tried was $329 but close enough. I'd say go for it.

ReplyQuote