Clear all

Epiphone Price Hike

25 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

On top of that, you can get a killer ESP goldtop (EC-400) with USA Duncans for $300 - 400.
How are those? I've seen them advertised. I've got a cheap old ESP LTD that is quite solid. It's a shredder type, but it does what I do just fine and dandy.
I don't know Epis at all; are those the same models, Roy?
Them's the same ones.
According to posts on the Epi forum, Gibson prices have gone up too.
I think so. The Studio was 13 something not too long ago and now it's 14 something. Neither price was going to lure me in, that's for sure.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

On top of that, you can get a killer ESP goldtop (EC-400) with USA Duncans for $300 - 400.
How are those? I've seen them advertised. I've got a cheap old ESP LTD that is quite solid. It's a shredder type, but it does what I do just fine and dandy.

I've said this a number of times on the forum that ESP makes some awesome guitars. I've got two of their Japan only Edwards line (an LP and an ES-335 clone) and they were far better than anything else in their price range from Epiphone or Gibson. They are probably comparable to Gibson models costing twice their price.

The LTD line seems to be more shredder style guitars. The Edwards line seems to be a mix of shredder and vintage reproductions.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I've said this a number of times on the forum that ESP makes some awesome guitars.

I sold an ESP LTD EC-500C (LP style guitar) earlier this year because I really didn't like the live pickups. I really regret it now (who hasn't experienced that!) as it was a superbly made guitar - certainly better than any Epi I've owned.

Should've just changed the pups ...

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I played a used PRS SE Single Cut off the wall at Sam Ash last year and was impressed. I know we've spoke of this many times before, but there seems to be a lot more out there worth a good deal than just the Gibby-Fender line-ups. My cheapo Ibanez GAX-70 that I bought for $190 is still a good guitar to me. I've had it since early '04. It still stays in tune better than anything else I have and is wide enough for my fat fingers too.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Speaking of the price of a Gibson Les Paul Studio ... Wow! They have inflated. Mine is a 1992 so that makes it what? 16 years old I suppose. It is in mint condition because I don't play it much. :lol: Well, I paid $750 for it brand new back in 1992.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The ESP guitars have really impressed me, especially at their price points. NEW they are a bit expensive, but you can get a very nice used ESP in the $250 - $450 price range with USA electronics. The PRS guitars are really solid values. I'm scouring the scene for an SE model to test. The SE custom is really nice, and I read a review in a guitar mag about the lineup they have of P-90 soapbar guitars which stated that they simply are the best guitar you can get under $500.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

The PRS guitars are really solid values. I'm scouring the scene for an SE model to test. The SE custom is really nice, and I read a review in a guitar mag about the lineup they have of P-90 soapbar guitars which stated that they simply are the best guitar you can get under $500.

That is the best kept secret around. PRS have great value and second to none manufacturing and quality control! :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

The Epi Valve junior heads have gone from $99 to $149 in the last year and a half or so. 50% increase in 1.5 yrs? WOW Glad I got 2 of em @ $99.

As far as Agile vs. Epiphone. I love my Agile and the only Epiphone I would get right now would be an SG, otherwise I'd go Agile all the way and if need be upgrade PUPS.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

.... the only Epiphone I would get right now would be an SG....

I don't know if these are available in the US but I believe the quality of mine is better than the Epi G400 I once had at 2/3 of the price:

http://www.jandd-guitars.com/jd-gg1s.htm

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Thanks BluezOldy. Just for giggles, if they have someone to translate, I sent em an e-mail. That's not a bad looking guitar. Have you one? If so, how's it play?

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2