Clear all

Epiphone Special II Opinions

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so I have been at my current job for 15 years (knock on wood or any wood-like product) and the company orders a catalog that you can select a gift from to commemorate the occasion. This one has a couple of watches, vaccuum cleaners, cheap plasma and LCD TVs, etc. They also have an Epiphone Special II pack with the el-cheapo amp, etc. I don't care about all of the other stuff in the pack. What are anyone's thoughts on the guitar itself? Good, bad, bait for trade? :)

Thanks in advance,
Jim

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Is that a newer model I thought I saw the retail price was something like $179 so it was a low end guitar not sure about reviews I haven't read any.

I think I bought my Epi SG for about the same price and all I can say was it wasn't to bad for $179. Nothing great but playable for the most part. Cheap hardware and pickups but otherwise not bad for a cheap guitar.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

You probably already googled it, but if not, here's what MF says about it. Sam Ash has the pack listed for $199

Sounds like it might be a candidate to keep by your desk for some coffee break noodling 8)

They can't complain if they gave it to you, can they... :wink:

I wish there was some instruments available when I got my 15 year handshake. I got a gift card for any of my company's retail stores.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I've been here (at work now .... shhhhh!) 31 years and I have never gotten crap. Nothing, nadda ZIPPO! :x

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

I had one once... my only complaint was that it never stayed in tune. When it was in tune it felt and sounded nice.

You could always get it and put it up on Craigslist/Kijiji and trade it for campfire acoustic.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I plucked one from the way one time, the sg version, and it sounded and played very decently. I've played a few of the specials, but not in depth. One thing that stuck out with me is the bolt on neck instead of set neck seemed to be very sensitive. The least little neck pressure and you've pushed or pulled it out of tune.

The tone purists will poo poo the special II due to bolt on, flat top and no binding. We all know what the pick-up snobs say. Would I buy one? Probably not. I got a set neck, carved top Ibanez for $60 more, If one were given to me, or if I had an opportunity for a free one, I'd do it for sure.

Just make sure the neck bolts are tight/snug. (not over tight) My old starter Ibanez was hard to stay in tune until I gave the neck screws just a ittle bit of tightening. Minimal adjustments. Made a world of different.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the responses. I ordered the guitar. Worst case scenario is I do a few upgrades. Best case scenario, it plays well and needs little work. And it's free on top of all of that!!

Roy, thanks for the warning about neck screws. I will definitely check to make sure they are good and snug.

Jim

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I've been here (at work now .... shhhhh!) 31 years and I have never gotten crap.

Having worked in your career area once upon a time, I don't believe that for a second, TR.

When I was in nursing, they gave me so much crap. Day in, day out, people gave me crap...

:-) couldn't resist.

Hang in there.
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You are right Ande, I get a lot of crap! :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote